PDA

View Full Version : Giles Pipedream

hold2dibber
12-13-2002, 05:48 PM
There continue to be rumors that the Pirates would consider trading Brian Giles. In light of the Sox' need for a left handed stick, I don't know if there's another position player that I covet more than him. His numbers are remarkable. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5543) I would guess it would take Konerko and Garland (and maybe Rowand, Liefer, or another prospect) to get him, but I think I'd do that in a heartbeat. The Sox would then need to pick up a FA pitcher (maybe Valdes, Byrd or Daal) and probably a 1B (maybe Travis Lee). When Borchard is ready, they could move Lee to 1B to free up an outfield spot for him.

jeremyb1
12-13-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
There continue to be rumors that the Pirates would consider trading Brian Giles. In light of the Sox' need for a left handed stick, I don't know if there's another position player that I covet more than him. His numbers are remarkable. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5543) I would guess it would take Konerko and Garland (and maybe Rowand, Liefer, or another prospect) to get him, but I think I'd do that in a heartbeat. The Sox would then need to pick up a FA pitcher (maybe Valdes, Byrd or Daal) and probably a 1B (maybe Travis Lee). When Borchard is ready, they could move Lee to 1B to free up an outfield spot for him.

problem i have with that is that even though we don't have much in the way of lefthanded hitters, offense is definately our strong suit. i can't see trading from our weakness (pitching) to improve our stregth (hitting).

RichH55
12-13-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
problem i have with that is that even though we don't have much in the way of lefthanded hitters, offense is definately our strong suit. i can't see trading from our weakness (pitching) to improve our stregth (hitting). \

If you can get a guy like Giles at that price I would do it...hopefully it would mean we add another pitcher as well

Paulwny
12-13-2002, 07:14 PM
I may have the wrong player but, didn't the sox try to trade for Giles last year and it came out that he has the sox listed as " a no trade to team" in his contract?

jeremyb1
12-13-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

If you can get a guy like Giles at that price I would do it...hopefully it would mean we add another pitcher as well

i think acquiring giles would make us less likely to add more pitching because we'd be trading one of our best starters that's making the league minimum, adding salary through giles, and then trying to replace garland with a pitcher who'd probably cost a lot more money especially if we were to sign a free agent.

RichH55
12-13-2002, 09:28 PM
i think acquiring giles would make us less likely to add more pitching because we'd be trading one of our best starters that's making the league minimum, adding salary through giles, and then trying to replace garland with a pitcher who'd probably cost a lot more money especially if we were to sign a free agent.

If you deal for Giles...thats a sign you want to win...why you would add that salary only to leave a hole at SP is beyond me? If you have the mindset to add Giles and that you want to win I think you would also add a P

NewyorkSoxFan
12-13-2002, 09:35 PM
We already don't have enough starting pitching why would you give up a starter, and a leader in your infield for him? Subtraction by Subtraction? I like him as a player, but we need to strop dreaming about all these position players and start dreaming about a frontline starter. If we are lucky someone in the front office my read about it and actually do something this weekend.

NYSF

Jerry_Manuel
12-13-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I may have the wrong player but, didn't the sox try to trade for Giles last year and it came out that he has the sox listed as " a no trade to team" in his contract?

I believe that was the case.

Pirates wanted Buehrle, Lee, and others. They ended up with Wells and Fogg, so go figure.

jeremyb1
12-13-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
If you deal for Giles...thats a sign you want to win...why you would add that salary only to leave a hole at SP is beyond me? If you have the mindset to add Giles and that you want to win I think you would also add a P

well i guess if we can trade garland for giles and plug clemens and maddux into the rotation its a no brainer but i was speaking within our current limits. giles only makes about 8 million. we could trade for him right now without a huge salary boost. i don't think that makes it a forgone conclusion that jr would also be willing to take on another 8 million in salary to trade for colon or someone else.

cornball
12-13-2002, 11:53 PM
well i guess if we can trade garland for giles and plug clemens and maddux into the rotation its a no brainer but i was speaking within our current limits. giles only makes about 8 million. we could trade for him right now without a huge salary boost. i don't think that makes it a forgone conclusion that jr would also be willing to take on another 8 million in salary to trade for colon or someone else.

Why not? I believe the current salary of the Sox, as of now, would have to be around 42-44MM give or take....only Frank, Mags, PK and Valentin (who would be gone if possible because he is not worth 5MM) make 5MM+.....the Sox have room to add payroll even with their minor league budget, you could easily add 1-2 superstar players and be profitable.......unless your looking at Bud's books.

BTW 45MM would be in the 20 percentile of the MLB salary structure.

jeremyb1
12-14-2002, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by cornball
Why not? I believe the current salary of the Sox, as of now, would have to be around 42-44MM give or take....only Frank, Mags, PK and Valentin (who would be gone if possible because he is not worth 5MM) make 5MM+.....the Sox have room to add payroll even with their minor league budget, you could easily add 1-2 superstar players and be profitable.......unless your looking at Bud's books.

BTW 45MM would be in the 20 percentile of the MLB salary structure.

i agree we could add payroll i just don't think we would be willing to add that much.

Paulwny
12-14-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I believe that was the case.

Pirates wanted Buehrle, Lee, and others. They ended up with Wells and Fogg, so go figure.

Thanks JM, I wasn't sure whether it was Giles or Kendall.
Although Kendall may also have the sox as a "no trade to team".
Funny players rather be with the Pirates rather then work for JR.