PDA

View Full Version : Williams' comments on Griffey/Magglio deal

Jjav829
12-12-2002, 07:58 PM
KW was contacted by the Reds (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20021212&content_id=185327&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

He admits that the Reds did contact him, but that he did not think about it for a week, but rather for about 5 seconds. Well, thats a little bit of a relief. He also said...

"I have no desire to trade Magglio Ordonez to anyone," insisted Williams, who prefers to not talk publicly about trade discussions. "The only reason I will respond to (the report) is because I want Magglio Ordonez to understand his importance and value to this organization."

Soxheads
12-12-2002, 08:02 PM
That has to have been one of the brightest statements ever to come out of KW's mouth.

:KW
"Me talk real pretty."

RedPinStripes
12-12-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
KW was contacted by the Reds (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20021212&content_id=185327&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

He admits that the Reds did contact him, but that he did not think about it for a week, but rather for about 5 seconds. Well, thats a little bit of a relief. He also said...

KW's getting better with the PR stuff. :D:

RKMeibalane
12-12-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

He had nowhere to go but up in that area. After all, he works for Jerry Reinsdorf, the master of bad public relations techniques.

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2002, 08:06 PM

:gallas
I'm showing him the ropes.

Jjav829
12-12-2002, 08:08 PM

Well that will certainly help clear the minds of some people (especially Viva) now that we know KW isn't that stupid. It kind of makes you wonder who reads this site. Did someone see the reaction to the rumored trade and let KW know so he could deny it? Ya never know...

BTW, if that is the case let him know we want Javier Vazquez. :D:

RedPinStripes
12-12-2002, 08:27 PM
Well that will certainly help clear the minds of some people (especially Viva) now that we know KW isn't that stupid. It kind of makes you wonder who reads this site. Did someone see the reaction to the rumored trade and let KW know so he could deny it? Ya never know...

BTW, if that is the case let him know we want Javier Vazquez. :D:

He had to know he would be bashed for the idea of the trade if he came here to look. :smile:

Daver
12-12-2002, 08:31 PM
He had to know he would be bashed for the idea of the trade if he came here to look. :smile:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone from the Sox frequented this board,stranger things have happened.

Viva Magglio
12-12-2002, 08:45 PM

Thank you, Mr. Williams. I promise I will not call for your ouster...provided you don't screw things up henceforth.

jeremyb1
12-12-2002, 09:23 PM

He admits that the Reds did contact him, but that he did not think about it for a week, but rather for about 5 seconds. Well, thats a little bit of a relief.

that's definately good to hear.

HawkDJ
12-12-2002, 10:00 PM
Like KW though, I hope Maggs understands that this was a big misunderstanding and that the Sox don't think any less of him than they did before.

chisox06
12-12-2002, 10:57 PM
What has Griffey dont lately? Nothing at all.

MikeKreevich
12-12-2002, 11:03 PM
I guess the Reds wouldn't go for Griffey for Carlos Lee straight up.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-12-2002, 11:17 PM
"Okay here's the truth. I had Bowden on ice while I negotiated with my buddy Beane in Oakland. By the time we finished the Koch deal, I didn't have enough cash left over for Bowden to take Ordonez off my hands. You know it's important to always make the money come out even on these deals, and I just couldn't make it happen."

RichH55
12-13-2002, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
"Okay here's the truth. I had Bowden on ice while I negotiated with my buddy Beane in Oakland. By the time we finished the Koch deal, I didn't have enough cash left over for Bowden to take Ordonez off my hands. You know it's important to always make the money come out even on these deals, and I just couldn't make it happen."

Damned if you do, damned if you dont

white sox bill
12-13-2002, 06:32 AM
When I first saw this thread, I yelled "Don't do it! Don't do it!" Lets hope KW won't try & pull this trade off under the guise that PR speaking, Griffey gets a TON of more airtime\name recognitions than Maggs...

harwar
12-13-2002, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by white sox bill
When I first saw this thread, I yelled "Don't do it! Don't do it!"

Worse than that.I have been really busy lately,and although i don't post very often i read the messages here everyday.So,i've been out of touch for a few days and i come in here first thing this morning(not even had a sip of coffee yet)and BOOM! I read "KW confirms Ordonez for Griffey talks".I damn near spilled my coffee as i thought for a second that the trade had already been done.It scared the life out of me.WHEW! I'm awake now.

Hangar18
12-13-2002, 08:04 AM
If you want to win this season,,,,heres your Recipe for Success.
Follow this to the "T", and you'll be ok (and you wont be bashed
so much)
Get COLON or VAZQUEZ
&
Stock your bullpen ....(WITH Proven Professionals either STANTON or MENDOZA)

If you PU any combination of these guys...
this team actually has a shot.
for the love of it, stop looking at just beating the Twins.
LOOK AT YOUR TEAM AS IF IT WERE THE PLAYOFFS. NY is the team to beat...

( I Hope someone/KW reads this -crosses fingers)

Hangar18
12-13-2002, 08:06 AM
Now that I think about it...I could run this damn team...
Hey Kenny....
JUST FILL THE HOLES ON YOUR TEAM....it really is that simple.
granted were not the cubs, and teams are giving their players
away to us.....
we dont take Charity right?

lowesox
12-13-2002, 09:17 AM
It's very funny to me that other GM's have so much respect for KW that they think he would consider trading a healthy young Ordonez for a battered old Griffey.

I'm surprised he didn't bite.

I'd like to see Griffey on the Sox though - for attendance and because I think he still could be good. Maybe for Lee instead.

Who I'd really like to the Sox to get is newly Free Agent Chris Carpenter.

hold2dibber
12-13-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
It's very funny to me that other GM's have so much respect for KW that they think he would consider trading a healthy young Ordonez for a battered old Griffey.

I'm surprised he didn't bite.

I'd like to see Griffey on the Sox though - for attendance and because I think he still could be good. Maybe for Lee instead.

Who I'd really like to the Sox to get is newly Free Agent Chris Carpenter.

Welcome, lowesox!

I think Carpenter is intriguing, too. But I just don't know where he'd fit in. Right now (assuming Ritchie is back and Parque is not), the Sox have 6 guys (Buehrle, Garland, Wright, Ritchie, Biddle, Rauch) for 5 rotation spots; adding Carpenter to the mix would muddle things further.

Lip Man 1
12-13-2002, 11:12 AM
According to The Sporting News, Carpenter is out until August, the Blue Jays have made him an offer and the story said he's probably going to take it.

Lip

Dadawg_77
12-13-2002, 11:18 AM
ESPN is report the Cards got Carpenter.

CHISOXFAN13
12-13-2002, 01:15 PM
Guess it didn't take him as ling as many thought to decide.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1213/1476386.html

Jjav829
12-13-2002, 02:40 PM
Meh...someone didn't like my subject title. :?: :(:

Daver
12-13-2002, 02:43 PM
Meh...someone didn't like my subject title. :?: :(:

Not exactly.

I merged the wrong thread.

:)

ma-gaga
12-13-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
NY is the team to beat...

No. Not by a long shot. Any of the 3 other AL playoff teams would have hammered NY's bullpen this year. NY has an amazing offense, but IMHO their pitching is almost done. They are relying on David Wells and Roger Clemens. Both are very good pitchers, both are all-stars, and Clemens is a hall of famer, but they are at the end of their careers and will break down this year.

Heck, I don't even think either Contreas or Colon will help them win it all. If they got BOTH of them, maybe. Still, I don't think their staff is as all-around solid like it was in their championship years. They won on the strength of their bullpens. They have too many holes to fill, even with that good of an offense.

Until further notice, Anaheim is the team to beat.

Jjav829
12-13-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by daver
Not exactly.

O, LOL. :)

RichH55
12-13-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by daver
Not exactly.

With great power comes great responsibility....