PDA

View Full Version : Trade 4 Griffey w/o trading Maggs?

MetalliSox
12-13-2002, 12:35 PM
Why not throw this out there?

White Sox get:
Ken Griffey Jr.

Reds Get:
Carlos Lee
Joe Borchard
Jim Parque
Minor League arm?

Sox may give up two LF's, but Rowand can play LF with Griffey in CF. If Griffey gets hurt, most likely, Harris moves to CF. For 6 years of Griffey, the Sox could say goodbye to Borchard for an almost sure thing in Griffey.
Reds get a left pain in the...I mean pitcher. 2 young power hitters to go with Dunn and Kearns.

But hey, I'm no GM...obviously.

mack10zie
12-13-2002, 12:41 PM
Man, I don't know, I'd really hate to see Borchard go and I don't see how anyone can figure that Griffey is a "sure thing." IF, and it's a big if, Griffey could return to form then this would be a good trade, but I really don't have the greatest confidence that we would. And the thought of watching Borchard become a star on another team doesn't sit well with me.

hold2dibber
12-13-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip

White Sox get:
Ken Griffey Jr.

Reds Get:
Carlos Lee
Joe Borchard
Jim Parque
Minor League arm?

Sox may give up two LF's, but Rowand can play LF with Griffey in CF. If Griffey gets hurt, most likely, Harris moves to CF. For 6 years of Griffey, the Sox could say goodbye to Borchard for an almost sure thing in Griffey.
Reds get a left pain in the...I mean pitcher. 2 young power hitters to go with Dunn and Kearns.

But hey, I'm no GM...obviously.

Welcome!

I wouldn't do this trade. Griffey is getting up there in years and has been hurt too much to give up both Lee and Borchard for him. Too big of a risk. With that said, the Sox desparately need a big left handed bat and they need a CF, so I certainly would be interested in Griffey. Maybe Lee or Konerko for Griffey straight up.

CHISOXFAN13
12-13-2002, 01:09 PM
The main reason the Reds want to dump Griffey is because the organization is stockpiled with young outfielders who have already done well at the ML level. I really doubt they'd take Lee in any trade.

Hullett_Fan
12-13-2002, 01:14 PM
Welcome KonerkosHip

Interesting proposal. I definitely think Griffey's got some gas left in the tank and could put up .310/30/100 numbers for a few more years...he's got A LOT to prove.

So I'd trade for him if he re-structured his contract. Maybe Garland and a low level prospect for Griffey???

MetalliSox
12-13-2002, 01:18 PM
Maybe the Reds could thrown in Fernandez. That knuckleballer who throws it hard.
Nah, Olivo or Paul may not be able to catch it.

Thanks for all the welcomes. I post on the AOL board but can't at work so this is my board during work hours now I guess.

:)

Bobby Thigpen
12-13-2002, 01:19 PM
Lee and Borchard is grossly overpaying for someone who may not play more than 80 games a year. I also believe Griffey may come back, but Lee and Borchard is too much for that big of a risk. This deal could come back to haunt more than Sosa/Bell. If you could move Lee and Butter for Griffey than I would pull the trigger.

Daver
12-13-2002, 01:21 PM
Maybe the Reds could thrown in Fernandez. That knuckleballer who throws it hard.
Nah, Olivo or Paul may not be able to catch it.

Olivo could,Josh Paul can't catch a cold.

I highly doubt the Sox will have any part of Griffey and his 12.5 million dollar contract over the next six years.

Bobby Thigpen
12-13-2002, 01:25 PM
I would agree that the sticking point would be money. Hey, maybe KW could convince the Reds to eat part of the contract.

Rocklive99
12-13-2002, 02:59 PM
I would give up Rowand, Lee, Parque, and maybe some crappy minor leaguer for Griffey, if he was healthy, but that's just my opinion

Dadawg_77
12-13-2002, 03:09 PM
I think the Sox would have to add in Konerko. The Reds are sour on Casey and would like to add a 1B. That would put Frank back at 1B and move Lee into DH slash 4OF slash 1b in training.

moochpuppy
12-13-2002, 03:31 PM
Paul Konerko
Jon Stewart, P (AA)
Ken Vining, P (AAA)

for Griffey. I think Griffey need to get out of Cincy and out of the NL. His arrival put so much pressure on him to perform I think it was to much for him. Coming to Chicago and back to the American league would be a new start for him. In order to keep him healthy the Sox could always rotate him and Thomas at the DH position. Also, by reading into Griffey's comments it sounds as though he would be willing to restructure his deal.

2B Harris
SS Valentin
DH Thomas
RF Ordonez
CF Griffey Jr
LF Lee
3B Crede
1B Liefer
C Olivo

ozzman
12-13-2002, 03:39 PM
didnt vining just sign with the astros?

OfficerKarkovice
12-13-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Paul Konerko
Jon Stewart, P (AA)
Ken Vining, P (AAA)

for Griffey. I think Griffey need to get out of Cincy and out of the NL. His arrival put so much pressure on him to perform I think it was to much for him. Coming to Chicago and back to the American league would be a new start for him. In order to keep him healthy the Sox could always rotate him and Thomas at the DH position. Also, by reading into Griffey's comments it sounds as though he would be willing to restructure his deal.

2B Harris
SS Valentin
DH Thomas
RF Ordonez
CF Griffey Jr
LF Lee
3B Crede
1B Liefer
C Olivo

Yeah Ken Vining did just sign with the Astros but there are plenty of other prospects of that calibur that could be thrown in instead. I would do that trade in a heartbeat although I don't actually think the Reds would ask for that much. If they were going to do Junior for Nevin straight up, I think we could swing a deal with just Konerko.

Daver
12-13-2002, 04:17 PM
I bet KW would do that deal if you guys agree to take up a collection amongst yourselves to cover the 12.5 mil a year that Griffey makes until 2008.

:redneck

ozzman
12-13-2002, 04:23 PM
how about lee and konerko for casey and griffey?

voodoochile
12-13-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by ozzman
how about lee and konerko for casey and griffey?

That post should be in deeppink...

ozzman
12-13-2002, 04:27 PM
true, but the reds are looking to deal casey. but im sure they woudlnt want lee because they are overloaded in the of.

OfficerKarkovice
12-13-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by daver
I bet KW would do that deal if you guys agree to take up a collection amongst yourselves to cover the 12.5 mil a year that Griffey makes until 2008.

:redneck

True...correct me if I am wrong tho but isn't quite a bit of that salary deferred until post 2009? I thought I read somewhere that Jr. will make $8 mil next year and $6 mil the rest of the years with the rest of the money deferred.. I'm not sure if this is correct but I remember seeing it somewhere. If I could do Griffey for Konerko I would do it in a minute.

2B - Jiminez
SS - Valentin
DH - Thomas (rotating in at 1B)
LF - Maggs
CF - Junior (rotating in occasionally at DH)
1B - Lee (rotating in at LF)
3B - Crede
RF - Borchard (rotating in at CF)
C - Olivo

Daver
12-13-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
True...correct me if I am wrong tho but isn't quite a bit of that salary deferred until post 2009? I thought I read somewhere that Jr. will make $8 mil next year and $6 mil the rest of the years with the rest of the money deferred.. I'm not sure if this is correct but I remember seeing it somewhere. If I could do Griffey for Konerko I would do it in a minute.

He has 5 mil per season deferred of the 12.5 mil,so it is still 7.5 mil plus a bond of 5 mil season,no way will JR pay that tab.

Bobby Thigpen
12-13-2002, 06:22 PM
Why get rid of Konerko for Griffey? Konerko is on the upside of his career, while Griffey is on the downside. I think if you did that deal straight up we would end up losing big in the end. Unless Griffey changes something about his workout habits he will never be healthy, while Konerko could end up putting together several whole seasons that mirrored his first half this year. I would never do that deal. Besides, Frank in the field on even a semi regular basis is a nightmare I don't want to experience. Now, Lee for Griffey would be another matter.

OfficerKarkovice
12-13-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
Why get rid of Konerko for Griffey? Konerko is on the upside of his career, while Griffey is on the downside. I think if you did that deal straight up we would end up losing big in the end. Unless Griffey changes something about his workout habits he will never be healthy, while Konerko could end up putting together several whole seasons that mirrored his first half this year. I would never do that deal. Besides, Frank in the field on even a semi regular basis is a nightmare I don't want to experience. Now, Lee for Griffey would be another matter.

I honestly don't think Konerko will ever be much better of a hitter than he is right now...I certainly hope he will continue to improve, but I just don't see it. Lee on the other hand has made great strides and continues to improve and I see him as someone who could develop into a much dangerous hitter than Konerko.

Tragg
12-13-2002, 07:50 PM

White Sox get:
Ken Griffey Jr.

Reds Get:
Carlos Lee
Joe Borchard
Jim Parque
Minor League arm?

No. What's the point? griffey is past his prime, injury prone and expensive.

RichH55
12-13-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
I honestly don't think Konerko will ever be much better of a hitter than he is right now...I certainly hope he will continue to improve, but I just don't see it. Lee on the other hand has made great strides and continues to improve and I see him as someone who could develop into a much dangerous hitter than Konerko.

I agree on this point ....and Ill probably wind up stealing it verbatim in future threads, so thanks OfficerKarkovice

NewyorkSoxFan
12-13-2002, 08:51 PM
Guys, I know Jr. has been hurt alot, but why would they take our fringe minor leaguers for him. This issue is the money, the Sox would not do that deal unless cincy pays 10 of the 12 mil.

NYSF

chisox06
12-13-2002, 09:23 PM
Griffey is another arrogant show off a$$ hole. He's exactly the type of guy I dont want on this team.

cornball
12-13-2002, 09:28 PM
A deal for Jr. would be outstanding, I wouldnt trade Borchard at this point. It appears the Reds were trying to see if they could pull a fast one. I hope KW would discuss it more, but because of money it will never happen.

Jr or someone like him would do so much for the franchise IMO. It would add a marque player, add national exposure, increase attendance and show a commitment to the fans in general.......whether it be perception or reality ......

I believe KW will try to deal for a major impact player....and i think it will be a lefty hitting outfielder. Griff is probably too expensive for the Sox....Giles?