PDA

View Full Version : Renovation Photos Up

Jerry_Manuel
12-11-2002, 07:17 PM
Someone please tell me what the hell is happening in the first photo.

Photos (http://www.hksinc.com/2002/portfolio.htm)

voodoochile
12-11-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

It looks like they've added another tier of seats to the bleachers, extending it about 20 feet above the outfield concourse and then added permanent concession stands in the base of those stands. Though maybe they just built permanent concession stands and then some stairs to allow fans to walk around up top so they can still see the game - because you will no longer be able to see the field from the outfield concourse from the looks of things (Man, that makes me laugh, but I really feel like crying...). A far cry from a HR porch, but maybe that is coming later, or Uncle Jerry didn't want to spoil his pillerless park by building it in the first place.

The rest is as has been reported earlier, cosmetic improvements to the UD and level 400 concourses...

Jerry_Manuel
12-11-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
It looks like they've added another tier of seats to the bleachers, extending it about 20 feet above the outfield concourse and then added permanent concession stands in the base of those stands. Though maybe they just built permanent concession stands and then some stairs to allow fans to walk around up top so they can still see the game - because you will no longer be able to see the field from the outfield concourse from the looks of things (Man, that makes me laugh, but I really feel like crying...). A far cry from a HR porch, but maybe that is coming later, or Uncle Jerry didn't want to spoil his pillerless park by building it in the first place.

Interesting.

I was thinking it was some sort of party area like they have in RF.

:reinsy
If you pay, I'll build the porch.

voodoochile
12-11-2002, 08:23 PM
Interesting.

"and if you buy cheap UD seats and try to do the Comiskey upgrade by watching from the outfield concourse, I'll build a wall..."

BTW, I think that shot IS RF...

Jerry_Manuel
12-11-2002, 08:25 PM

I think left field, but we shall see.

voodoochile
12-11-2002, 08:36 PM

Isn't that the scoreboard in the background - to the left of the left most light tower? I just noticed the table umbrellas, so it probably means they extended the seating in the "Bullpen Bar". If they did it in LF too, they would have to rip out seats and I don't think JR is going to do that anytime soon...

voodoochile
12-11-2002, 08:43 PM

On second thought, you may be right. The billboard in shot one is the same one as in shot 4, which does appear to be the LF corner.

BTW, *** does shot 4 show? Fans, or are they showing off the tree in the background? Why does our concourse need a tree?

Man, when you can edit anyone's posts, you have to be careful to hit the quote button and not the edit button. I accidentily modified your post and then had to change it back...

Jjav829
12-11-2002, 08:52 PM

BTW, *** does shot 4 show? Fans, or are they showing off the tree in the background? Why does our concourse need a tree?

I have no clue. I think they are trying to show off the new Sox fans. Im just amused by the fact that the same people are in that shot over and over again. :D:

OfficerKarkovice
12-11-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I have no clue. I think they are trying to show off the new Sox fans. Im just amused by the fact that the same people are in that shot over and over again. :D:

I like them triplets in the purple shirts!!!

voodoochile
12-11-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

That's the only way they can fill the park is if everyone who isn't too ticked at JR to go to games gets cloned 3 or 4 times...

Pete_SSAC
12-11-2002, 09:07 PM
I hope they didn't actually pay someone to make those pics. Looke like what my 6 year old cousin can do with Paintbrush.

- Pete

PaleHoseGeorge
12-11-2002, 09:10 PM
Did you catch in photo #3 that the upper deck concourse will now be enclosed? I noticed this very thing driving past the ballpark earlier this week. I wasn't sure if what I was looking at was temporary or permanent. I guess I know now.

Photo #1 is interesting. By building up the bleacher seats, the view from the outfield concourse will be closed off from the field. Cheapskates helping themselves to the Comiskey Upgrade are mostly out of luck. JR must be the first owner in history to build a "spite fence" inside his own ballpark. :smile:

I know the reason why the same three fans keep showing up in all the renderings. The illustrator wanted to make it as realistic as possible. :smile: :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
12-11-2002, 09:13 PM
On second thought, you may be right. The billboard in shot one is the same one as in shot 4, which does appear to be the LF corner.

In the original photos on the site, there was a new scoreboard or something of the sort in LF. It looked very similar to what the Pirates have at PNC Park.

Very confusing photos to say the least.

Jerry_Manuel
12-11-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Photo #1 is interesting. By building up the bleacher seats, the view from the outfield concourse will be closed off from the field. Cheapskates helping themselves to the Comiskey Upgrade are mostly out of luck. JR must be the first owner in history to build a "spite fence" inside his own ballpark. :smile:

Well, it looks nicer than the green screens a certain NL team used. :D:

cheeses_h_rice
12-11-2002, 09:31 PM

I know the reason why the same three fans keep showing up in all the renderings. The illustrator wanted to make it as realistic as possible. :smile: :smile:

But George, I don't see any tumbleweeds, so it's not very realistic...

:)

voodoochile
12-11-2002, 10:02 PM
Did you catch in photo #3 that the upper deck concourse will now be enclosed? I noticed this very thing driving past the ballpark earlier this week. I wasn't sure if what I was looking at was temporary or permanent. I guess I know now.

Looks like a train station. The Ball Mall is dead, Long live Grand Central...

Maybe they are trying to get sponsorship money from Amtrak...

Daver
12-11-2002, 10:04 PM

Maybe they are trying to get sponsorship money from Amtrak...

It would be Metra in this case,Amtrak gave up almost all rights to inner city when the old South Central line was bought out by Metra.

voodoochile
12-11-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by daver
It would be Metra in this case,Amtrak gave up almost all rights to inner city when the old South Central line was bought out by Metra.

Metra Park? Does that mean that they would finally get the train stop that ESPN_John used to cry about all the time?

soxnut
12-11-2002, 10:15 PM
From the way I see it. It looks as though it is the right field side where they have built up the seats and blocked the view from the concourse. In the other picture it looks like a shot from center of the concourse looking to left. So it looks like you still should be able to see the field from the left field side. They aren't the greatest pics I ever saw, but I do like what I see. :smile:

I stopped by the ballpark and went to the reception desk a few weeks ago when I saw the plastic that is hanging down, and asked them about it. They told me that they are doing some painting and some other cosmetic renovations to the outfield and upper deck---"for now"--as they put it. So to me it sounds like there will be more done at some point. :cool:

I would like to know how many of you here go to the ballpark and how many times a year do you go? :?:

Lip Man 1
12-11-2002, 10:16 PM
Has anybody noticed that the text still hasn't been corrected? They still talk about "renovating the 80 year old stadium" and the "home run porch."

What the hell kind of company is this that doesn't have someone check these things for continuity.

Lip

voodoochile
12-11-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Has anybody noticed that the text still hasn't been corrected? They still talk about "renovating the 80 year old stadium" and the "home run porch."

What the hell kind of company is this that doesn't have someone check these things for continuity.

Lip

A design company that definitely needs a new Website Manager...

In fairness, they did redesign an 80 YO park, they just tore the old one down and redesigned from the ground up and they did bring the old shower head over...

voodoochile
12-11-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
From the way I see it. It looks as though it is the right field side where they have built up the seats and blocked the view from the concourse. In the other picture it looks like a shot from center of the concourse looking to left. So it looks like you still should be able to see the field from the left field side. They aren't the greatest pics I ever saw, but I do like what I see. :smile:

I stopped by the ballpark and went to the reception desk a few weeks ago when I saw the plastic that is hanging down, and asked them about it. They told me that they are doing some painting and some other cosmetic renovations to the outfield and upper deck---"for now"--as they put it. So to me it sounds like there will be more done at some point. :cool:

I would like to know how many of you here go to the ballpark and how many times a year do you go? :?:

Hey, welcome aboard. Personally, I normally buy at least a 7 game package and then go to a couple of more game also. If the Sox get hot and end up in the playoff race then I end up going to about 20...

whitesoxwilkes
12-11-2002, 10:27 PM

58 games last year.

soxnut
12-11-2002, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Voodoochile :smile: I normally go to about 7 games a year. I've been thinking about buying one of those 7 gamers this year. I usually end up just going when I have the chance ....and the money. :D:

soxnut
12-11-2002, 10:31 PM
Wow, that's alot of games whitesoxwilkes!! Cool. :cool:

Do you have a favorite place you like to sit? :?:

voodoochile
12-11-2002, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Voodoochile :smile: I normally go to about 7 games a year. I've been thinking about buying one of those 7 gamers this year. I usually end up just going when I have the chance ....and the money. :D:

The seven game package is a great deal and you can order by fax before tickets go on sale to the general public, thus you can guarantee seats to the home opener, flubbies series and a couple of more choice games that you want to see.

Last year I got HO, all 3 flubbies games, the Yankees on my b-day and one late season game each against the Twins and Indians. Ordered UD reserved and was sitting in the 17th row no further out than the batting circle for any game - cheapest seats in the house and a great view...

The seventh game only costs $1 and if there are any Mondays, you get to prepay half-price (at least last year you did). I'm planning on doing it again this year the exact same way...

whitesoxwilkes
12-12-2002, 08:54 AM
Wow, that's alot of games whitesoxwilkes!! Cool. :cool:

Do you have a favorite place you like to sit? :?:

That's a lot of beer.

I have season tickets..last year in Sec 117. This year I'm moving to 113, but closer to the field and I have 4 instead of just 2.

Blueprint1
12-12-2002, 09:26 AM
What an upgrade. It looks the same as it has since 1991. I liked the other pictures better. These pictures show nothing done to the park. I don't mind comiskey park but don't call this an upgrade. Plus now i cant stad behind the outfield seats when I buy UD tickets.

Kilroy
12-12-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Plus now i cant stad behind the outfield seats when I buy UD tickets.

I don't think you can say that for sure from what those pictures show.

moochpuppy
12-12-2002, 10:18 AM

Looked like a bunch of bewilderd Cub fans if you ask me.

moochpuppy
12-12-2002, 10:21 AM
If you notice that the rightfield home run porch is still showed in the blurred background shot. You gotta think that it's planned for the near future.

Hangar18
12-12-2002, 10:39 AM
The Reason HKS keeps stating that its renovating the "classic 80 yr old Park", Is because Uncle Jerry is going to wait til
2071 to finally build us the home run porch. Notice on the original
pics, there was sky parking for the new electric powered Hover Craft where the Old skybridge over 35th is now....

cheeses_h_rice
12-12-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The Reason HKS keeps stating that its renovating the "classic 80 yr old Park", Is because Uncle Jerry is going to wait til
2071 to finally build us the home run porch. Notice on the original
pics, there was sky parking for the new electric powered Hover Craft where the Old skybridge over 35th is now....

Also, did you see the Soylent Green booth, too?

:)

ozzman
12-12-2002, 11:10 AM
does anyone know a good free image hosting webpage. i have the renovation pictures saved and id put them in this post if i could find someone to host em for me

Hangar18
12-12-2002, 11:26 AM
these changes are definitely "cosmetic".
I see the flubs going out and filling all their holes
(theres one hole id like to fill for them)
very nicely (though lot of the players are falling into
their laps-Can you say conspiracy?).
Why do I stay A Sox Fan I have to wonder.

I live in a city where the Media blatantly favors the
other team, and hates the Sox, giving more coverage, giving more of its blessings...

and the owner of the team I like, Blatantly hates his fans,
hides the plans to a possibly much better looking/accomodating ball park,
purposefully ruining a world series (94), and then purposefully
not spending the fill the only holes we had on 2-3 other
good teams.
To Uncle Jerry: .....What do you want from me???
(besides my money)

voodoochile
12-12-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
To Uncle Jerry: .....What do you want from me???
(besides my money)

"You stupid fans! What makes you think I want something else? Just the money, please and lots of it. Man, You put your shopping list out there early and often and they still get it wrong. Remember, if you don't fill Santa's stocking, you get coal in return..."

moochpuppy
12-12-2002, 12:34 PM
"You stupid fans! What makes you think I want something else? Just the money, please and lots of it. Man, You put your shopping list out there early and often and they still get it wrong. Remember, if you don't fill Santa's stocking, you get coal in return..."

"Jerry Reinsdorf is the Devil!!"

MarqSox
12-12-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Plus now i cant stad behind the outfield seats when I buy UD tickets.

I think that's sort of the point ...

mrwag
12-12-2002, 01:17 PM
Looking at shot #1, I'd definately say something's happening with the scoreboard area. Looks like something sticking up, next to the light tower.

jortafan
12-12-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
"Jerry Reinsdorf is the Devil!!"

No he isn't. Bug Selig is Satan. Jerry is just one of Satan's little imps, helping to do the devil's bidding.

Hangar18
12-12-2002, 01:21 PM
Ive got an Idea....Lets Trade Reinsdorf to
the Mavericks for Cuban.
Does anyone here remember seeing My Banner.....

"Cut Payroll...Trade Reinsdorf"

that was me.
I remember taking that banner to old Tiger Stadium,
and a bunch of Soxfans wanting pictures of it.

nut_stock
12-13-2002, 01:02 AM
after years of posting this, the Sox still must not like my idea of a Hooters Restaraunt in the upperdeck.... "Soxy Ladies!"

Hangar18
12-13-2002, 08:46 AM
A Hooters at Comiskey??
What an EXCELLENT Idea!!!!
If they build that 3-story building....
that should definitely be one of the restaurants/bars
they put in there.....
EXCELLENT IDEA!!! talk about walk up traffic....
how could they not have taken that idea seriously?
Miller Pk has a Fridays....

Hangar18
12-13-2002, 08:54 AM
so much for the homerun porch in RF.
If anyone has seen the plans for the Padres new park...
they have a building thats actually on the field.
I dont know why HKS doesnt do the same thing....stick the building onto the concourse...in LF also.....for comiskey

CLR01
12-13-2002, 09:57 AM

The rest is as has been reported earlier, cosmetic improvements to the UD and level 400 concourses...

Interesting.

"and if you buy cheap UD seats and try to do the Comiskey upgrade by watching from the outfield concourse, I'll build a wall..."

I say left center. Notice the Left Field UD roof in the background? Maybe he is trying to keep fans from seeing the score.

nut_stock
12-13-2002, 10:14 AM
I've been wondering what that is myself....

voodoochile
12-13-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by CLR01
I say left center. Notice the Left Field UD roof in the background? Maybe he is trying to keep fans from seeing the score.

Maybe this is the final plan for the "batters eye" view they built last year. I just hope they replace that green mesh with polarized glass. You couldn't see anything through that mesh except for the general layout of the fielders and baserunners. Perhaps this is high enough up that they don't need mesh in front of the people - the equivalent of the CF Upper bleachers at Wrigley.

The scoreboard is much higher than that, I don't think this will obstruct it in any way. I do think you are correct about the location though - maybe even straight on to CF. Distances are hard to make out...

Hullett_Fan
12-13-2002, 12:25 PM
Just to the right of the UD roof looks like an addition to the scoreboard or something. Wish they would describe what they're doing instead of having us guess from these lousy pictures

Blueprint1
12-13-2002, 02:17 PM
These pictures really suck. I cant believe they put these on their website. If i saw these i woudnt want to use this firm. Some of these changes took place last year. The Upperdeck is just closed in. Wow how exciting i cant wait to see it. Phh yeah right who cares. They have not changed the description too. It still says its an 80 year old ballpark. It also still says they are adding the enterence on. it says"A grand new enterence at left field is an important element that defines the historical ballpark." This is so messed up its almost funny

Hangar18
12-13-2002, 02:51 PM
of the 4 pictures, 2 we've already seen (last yr)
another is a view of a bunch of people on a concourse
of some sort......no description either.
These Pictures are TERRIBLE.
I wouldnt use this firm either.
Can you Imagine? 'Hey, give us a ton of money and we'll
make great changes to your park, take a look at these
people walking around on the concourse....
Dont they look excited?"

soxnut
12-14-2002, 12:42 AM
Has anyone called HKS or the Sox to tell them what they think of these pictures? Just wondering....... :(:

IronFisk
12-15-2002, 12:12 AM
I drove by the park yesterday, and i have to admit I do like the new grey/black/blue color scheme. I think that black-bottomed roof will make the UD feel a tad more intimate. I certainly hope they take the grey all around the park. Wouldn't mind more brick facia either.

:gulp:

Lip Man 1
12-15-2002, 12:19 AM
Ironic isn't it that the Sox (or somebody) has spent over twenty million dollars the past few seasons for ballpark renovations.

Had they taken that money, got some top free agents and actually WON something, think any fans would care what Comiskey Park looked like?

Another shrewd move on the part of Uncle Jerry. Give Sox fans the less expensive (in the long run) of the two options and let someone else pay for it (since I seriously doubt that HE is!)

Lip

hose
01-31-2003, 12:16 PM

Looks like we might be getting a official response........soon

hold2dibber
01-31-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by hose
Looks like we might be getting a official response........soon

Do you know something we don't know, or are you just saying that based upon the rumors concerning the naming rights?

soxnut
01-31-2003, 01:10 PM
the first photo is a picture of the concessions rotunda in centerfield, with a deck on top. It is being currently being constructed:D:

hose
01-31-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Do you know something we don't know, or are you just saying that based upon the rumors concerning the naming rights?

Just what I read and heard.

soxguy
01-31-2003, 09:34 PM
listen, for all of the sox fans who are bitching about these remodels on the stadium, SHUT UP! One of the problems the whitesox have is that alot of their fans are a bunch of cry baby's. What can possibly make you happy, yes I know a world series victory, but even if that happened some of you would be upset that the parking attendent didn't get you out of the parking lot fast enough after game seven! We have a newer ballpark that is very very nice, stop complaining and go see our whitesox, at least jerry is trying to make changes, he obviously hears some of the general complaints about the ballpark. The other side of town would tell u to ram it up ur u know what. We don't have to sit in a stadium like wrigley that is the toilet of chicago, Ive been there 3 times due to hs school field trips back in the late 80's and the park always smelled like piss, imagine what its like now. So shut your mouths and support your team, they are actually doing good things now.STIFLE YOURSELF EDITH!!!!!!

HootieMcBoob
02-01-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by soxguy
listen, for all of the sox fans who are bitching about these remodels on the stadium, SHUT UP! One of the problems the whitesox have is that alot of their fans are a bunch of cry baby's. What can possibly make you happy, yes I know a world series victory, but even if that happened some of you would be upset that the parking attendent didn't get you out of the parking lot fast enough after game seven! We have a newer ballpark that is very very nice, stop complaining and go see our whitesox, at least jerry is trying to make changes, he obviously hears some of the general complaints about the ballpark. The other side of town would tell u to ram it up ur u know what. We don't have to sit in a stadium like wrigley that is the toilet of chicago, Ive been there 3 times due to hs school field trips back in the late 80's and the park always smelled like piss, imagine what its like now. So shut your mouths and support your team, they are actually doing good things now.STIFLE YOURSELF EDITH!!!!!!

I like this guy! Amen! Some Sox fans should just shut up and SUPPORT THEIR TEAM and not give us a bad rep of being crybabies. Couldn't agree more.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-01-2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob
I like this guy! Amen! Some Sox fans should just shut up and SUPPORT THEIR TEAM and not give us a bad rep of being crybabies. Couldn't agree more.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. Most posters here are in favor of ANYTHING that makes the Sox a more viable championship contender. Given the way the Sox whine about attendance and fans whine about the ballpark, clearly some incremental revenue spent to improve the ballpark deserves some applause.

I've got no problem with removing Charles Comiskey's name from the BallMall. He didn't build it, it's not the original he did build, and it's HIGHLY DEBATABLE any Sox owner ever deserved such an honor.

As for those who have a romantic view of Bill Veeck...

:veeck
"Don't forget I nearly sold the franchise to Denver interests."

soxnut
02-01-2003, 05:39 PM
Amen to soxguy, hootie and PHG. Bring on the money and bring on the changes. :smile:

soxwon
02-04-2003, 09:29 PM
hello i tried to open up the website of the comiskey(cellular) renovation, it only freezes up on me, could someone pleaase send me the pictures already opened up? i want to see this rightfield stands im hearing abiout, thank you
da reverand
soxwon@aol.com

Hangar18
02-05-2003, 09:03 AM
hey Soxwon, welcome.
there are no RF stands to see, those were in the original
pics from before. There will be a RF hr porch...like the old upperdeck. too bad i didnt see you Sat at soxfest...you couldve
seen the pics I had with me of it. the pics on the HKS website
are pretty Bogus, except of the new CF bleachers...
all the new changes will be done by the 2005 farewell to Buehrle
season.....