PDA

View Full Version : stark's "10 available pitchers"


jeremyb1
12-11-2002, 07:45 PM
10 pitchers who are also available
Andy Ashby, Rick Reed, Brett Tomko, Matt Anderson, Scott Strickland, Mark Redman, Steve Sparks, Sidney Ponson, Livan Hernandez and Carl Pavano.

i think tomko (3.86 era before the break last year), reed (2.88 era after the break), ponson (era of about 4 last year) and redman (era under 3 from may to july). i know some don't like to make trades within ones own division and i don't know what the twins asking price is but i think reed in particular could be a really solid acquisition. however, at 37 with a salary of 8 million, he'd only be worth it if he were relatively cheap. scott strickland would be a nice pickup if we're still intersted in upgrading the pen but i think we'd be better off just attempting to sign veres or timlin as i've previously suggested.

OneDog
12-11-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i think tomko (3.86 era before the break last year), reed (2.88 era after the break), ponson (era of about 4 last year) and redman (era under 3 from may to july). i know some don't like to make trades within ones own division and i don't know what the twins asking price is but i think reed in particular could be a really solid acquisition. however, at 37 with a salary of 8 million, he'd only be worth it if he were relatively cheap. scott strickland would be a nice pickup if we're still intersted in upgrading the pen but i think we'd be better off just attempting to sign veres or timlin as i've previously suggested.

None of these guys get me excited.

OfficerKarkovice
12-11-2002, 07:58 PM
I think Ponson would be ok...and Carl Pavano could develop into a pretty good pitcher...but then again we've got a lot of those.

Tragg
12-11-2002, 10:40 PM
Good lord, 8 mill for rick reed? Please. None of those guys do much for me unless they are available cheap and work cheap.

duke of dorwood
12-12-2002, 12:04 AM
These guys better be cheap.

Iguana775
12-12-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by OneDog
None of these guys get me excited.

if you did get excited by one of those guys, i'd worry. lol. (of course that is assuming you are male otherwise the joke wouldnt work. lol)

Chisoxfn
12-12-2002, 12:40 AM
I'd take Andy Ashby or Brett Tomko. I also like Redman but the Tigers have said they will ask a lot for him in return. I'd also like Matt Anderson, but we don't need anything in the pen right now.

jeremyb1
12-12-2002, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
I'd take Andy Ashby or Brett Tomko. I also like Redman but the Tigers have said they will ask a lot for him in return. I'd also like Matt Anderson, but we don't need anything in the pen right now.

i wouldn't mind having redman but i think the tigers are nuts if they're asking a lot for him. he's 28 has never won more than 12 games and has never had a full season with an era under 4.

Bobby Thigpen
12-12-2002, 09:24 AM
I like Tomko. I think that he could have a pretty bright future somewhere. He had a pretty decent beginning to last year for a pretty bad team. I don't think he's a number 2, but I do think he is a quality arm with an upside. I also wouldn't mind Livian Hernandez. Decent pitcher, but more leadership. Also a very good postseason pitcher. Not that we have to worry about that.

RichH55
12-12-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
I like Tomko. I think that he could have a pretty bright future somewhere. He had a pretty decent beginning to last year for a pretty bad team. I don't think he's a number 2, but I do think he is a quality arm with an upside. I also wouldn't mind Livian Hernandez. Decent pitcher, but more leadership. Also a very good postseason pitcher. Not that we have to worry about that.

Hernandez wouldnt be a bad addition, but it seems like we have a bunch of Tomko types already in the system