PDA

View Full Version : Vlad on the block...What the Sox can offer


SoxxoS
12-11-2002, 03:50 PM
Saw this on ESPN-

Chicago White Sox send third baseman Joe Crede, outfielder Joe Borchard and pitcher Josh Stewart.

Crede gives the Expos a third baseman for when they hopefully dump Fernando Tatis. Borchard is the long-term answer in the outfield. Stewart capped a great year at Double-A Birmingham with an outstanding performance in the Arizona Fall League.

Guerrero will cost White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf plenty, but his White Sox need to do something to get fans' attention, and remember, Reinsdorf has a history of occasionally splurging on big names like Frank Thomas and Albert Belle.>>>

Intresting, huh? I would just hate to part with Crede.

Dadawg_77
12-11-2002, 04:00 PM
I would try and switch Borchad with Lee. Either wat that would give us the best OF in the Majors at least at the plate. If the Sox aquire Vlad then something needs to happen with Lee as he is too good to sit but not good enough to play in front of Vlad and Mags. At least Joe could play CF.

dougs78
12-11-2002, 04:07 PM
Whoa Nellie!

Although, I'll have to admit taht I think Vlad is the best player in the game, I don't know if he makes any sense for our team. As for the trade proposal that is on ESPN.com, I don't think that makes sense either.

Borchard would have to be a given in that trade....i don't see anyway they could think about it without him. As for Crede, I can see why they would want him, but if we got rid of him, we'd be creating another hole in order to create a surplus (albeit and amazing surplus) of talent in the outfield. Such a deal would simply have to be part of a 3 way deal in which we traded Lee (or even Maggs??) for a third baseman and/or starter.

I guess we could see Jose back at 3rd, but i'd hate to see us make such a huge move and not fill in ANY of our exisiting holes.


By the way...if the damn yankees get Vlad, I will surely vomit and will seriously begin my boycott of all things yankee.

Iguana775
12-11-2002, 04:14 PM
i wouldnt do it.

kermittheefrog
12-11-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
i wouldnt do it.

What are you smoking? We'd have a guy who in the next 3 years could emerge as the best player in baseball and is already in the top 10-15. He'd be the best player on our team immediately. I love Borchard and Crede is a nice player to have but Vlad is friggin amazing.

SoxxoS
12-11-2002, 04:32 PM
I would say VLAD is in the top 5 right now.

OfficerKarkovice
12-11-2002, 04:55 PM
I would hate to give away Borchard most of all but I guess I would probably make that trade...assuming we could ink Vlad for a number of years of course. If we could swing it with Lee, Crede, and Stewart (and maybe another minor leaguer?) I would pull the trigger without question. We would be left with:

SS - Jiminez
3B - Valentin
RF - Vlad
LF - Maggs
DH - Big Hurt
1B - Konerko
CF - Borchard
C - Olivo
2B - Harris/Hummel

Not to sound like the Scrubbie fans last year but that line-up realistically probably gives us one of the best 3-6 hitters in baseball history. Just from last year those four hitters combined for 442 RBI's...like I said even if I had to give up both Joes if it meant signing Vlad for a long term deal I would do it.

mike squires
12-11-2002, 05:02 PM
Na. I couldn't do it either. Besides the Sox have made it clear they would like to follow the trend of the Angels. Trading away alot of their young talent would be going totally against that. However I think Crede would be the most your giving up. I hate to say it but I think Joe will turn into a Dan Paqua or Ron Kittle type player. (Even though Ron is my main man!) Joe is full of potential but i have a feeling he will only be average. Hey, I hope he proves me wrong! As long as he's better than Daryl Boston.

Anyone remember Kevin Mass? Joe charbenhoweveryou spellhisname (with Clevland)

MarkEdward
12-11-2002, 05:04 PM
Let's see... Magglio Ordonez is a free agent after 2003, right? Well, so is Vladamir Guerrero. I don't think the Sox will be able to re-sign both those players. It's a "pick your poison" situation.

It's be great to have Vlad, but an outfield of Lee, Borchard, and Ordonez won't hurt us.

RedPinStripes
12-11-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
What are you smoking? We'd have a guy who in the next 3 years could emerge as the best player in baseball and is already in the top 10-15. He'd be the best player on our team immediately. I love Borchard and Crede is a nice player to have but Vlad is friggin amazing.

Then what do we do for 3b and Borchard's replacement? I wouldnt do it. I would give up Maggs for Vlad though. Doubt the expos would do a trade like that though.

idseer
12-11-2002, 05:24 PM
wouldn't do it either.
why do we keep coming up with deals that do NOT address this teams needs?
we FINALLY get a thirdbaseman that looks like he could be really good and yet you want to put jose back there? what a joke that is. throw in a 'can't miss' borchard with incredible power who we're down on now because of a small injury and a short poor afl? throw in yet ANOTHER very promising pitching prospect on top?
all for a guy who will cost so much that jr will not have anything left to acquire our real needs?

stupid!

Chrisaway
12-11-2002, 05:31 PM
Umm while I think Vladdy is probably the best player in baseball and would love to see him in a sox uniform, we need better pitching (though the sox upper management seems to not realize that). If we got Vlad i could see us having a similar year to 98 or 99 (Albert Belle?).

bc2k
12-11-2002, 06:15 PM
This trade sucks.

hose
12-11-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Saw this on ESPN-

Chicago White Sox send third baseman Joe Crede, outfielder Joe Borchard and pitcher Josh Stewart.

Crede gives the Expos a third baseman for when they hopefully dump Fernando Tatis. Borchard is the long-term answer in the outfield. Stewart capped a great year at Double-A Birmingham with an outstanding performance in the Arizona Fall League.

Guerrero will cost White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf plenty, but his White Sox need to do something to get fans' attention, and remember, Reinsdorf has a history of occasionally splurging on big names like Frank Thomas and Albert Belle.>>>

Intresting, huh? I would just hate to part with Crede.


Vlad would be great, but isn't he a free agent after this year?

He will end up a Met or Yankee in 2004

jeremyb1
12-11-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Saw this on ESPN-

Chicago White Sox send third baseman Joe Crede, outfielder Joe Borchard and pitcher Josh Stewart.

Crede gives the Expos a third baseman for when they hopefully dump Fernando Tatis. Borchard is the long-term answer in the outfield. Stewart capped a great year at Double-A Birmingham with an outstanding performance in the Arizona Fall League.

Guerrero will cost White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf plenty, but his White Sox need to do something to get fans' attention, and remember, Reinsdorf has a history of occasionally splurging on big names like Frank Thomas and Albert Belle.>>>

Intresting, huh? I would just hate to part with Crede.

i don't think i'd do this trade for the obvious reason that as good as vlad is we don't really need him. we already have an above average outfield and a surplus outfielders.

despite this i do have several thoughts on the comments that've been made. i think joe crede will be a successful major leaguer and quite possibly an all-star at some point but i think its highly unlikely he'll ever become a full fledged super star. he had a very strong performance last season but he still didn't walk much and a few hundred at bats is no assurance of his future performance. he's really not that much more established than other successful high level prospects.

i would much rather give up crede than rauch or garland and maybe even honel. no one wants to trade crede because they feel like that would leave us with a void at third base. however, clearly the biggest void is in the starting rotation. additionally, an all-star third basemen is much easier to come by and at least in my opinion, much less valuable than a number one starter. i'm not saying i want to trade crede here but i'm shocked so many people want to trade rauch or honel and refuse to let go of crede.

sox_fan_forever
12-11-2002, 07:21 PM
I definitely think Vlad is a good player, but I wouldn't do this trade either. As others have said, we have bigger needs.

jortafan
12-11-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
additionally, an all-star third basemen is much easier to come by and at least in my opinion, much less valuable than a number one starter.


It's not as easy as it sounds. Don't forget, we are the franchise who historically has a serious deficiency at third base. In 102 years, we've had Buck Weaver, Bill Melton, Robin Ventura, and a whole hell of a lot of mopes. I'd be verrrrrrrrrrry reluctant to let Crede get away.

Daver
12-11-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
It's not as easy as it sounds. Don't forget, we are the franchise who historically has a serious deficiency at third base. In 102 years, we've had Buck Weaver, Bill Melton, Robin Ventura, and a whole hell of a lot of mopes. I'd be verrrrrrrrrrry reluctant to let Crede get away.

Come on now,Greg Norton was an incredible mope.........

Paulwny
12-11-2002, 07:47 PM
The Expos are dumping salary, they want young cheap players.
They wouldn't want Maggs or Lee.
That's why they want Crede, LTP,and Stewart.

jeremyb1
12-11-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
The Expos are dumping salary, they want young cheap players.
They wouldn't want Maggs or Lee.
That's why they want Crede, LTP,and Stewart.

i'm pretty sure there's been no information whatsoever - at least none made public - that the expos are interested in those players. that's merely the writer's suggestion of players the sox could possibly give up for vlad. if you read stark and gammons they say its very unlikely vlad would be dealt and if he is it becomes even more unlikely it'll be to the sox.

Paulwny
12-11-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i'm pretty sure there's been no information whatsoever - at least none made public - that the expos are interested in those players. that's merely the writer's suggestion of players the sox could possibly give up for vlad. if you read stark and gammons they say its very unlikely vlad would be dealt and if he is it becomes even more unlikely it'll be to the sox.

Agree, I should have said players like Crede, LTP and Stewart.