PDA

View Full Version : Ritchie

OEO Magglio
12-10-2002, 11:37 PM
I was just wondering how everybody thinks Ritchie is going to comeback next year, I really think he'll be an effective pitcher next year, and hopefully help our rotation out!

What does everyone else think?

RKMeibalane
12-10-2002, 11:44 PM
I would imagine the Sox will give him a few starts early in the season in the interest of being fair. But this will be his last chance. If Ritchie screws up again, he's finished as a starter, at least as far as the Sox are concerned. I can't see Williams allowing Manuel to start him. KW would come off looking worse than he already does.

nut_stock
12-11-2002, 12:06 AM
I think Ritchie will have a decent year. With the current group I could see him being the 3rd starter, or if we acquire someone else a number 4 guy. I was in favor of the trade ( yeah I'll admit it) because I thought he was good with Pittsburg. On the other hand I guess he could flop but lets not go there....

StepsInSC
12-11-2002, 01:00 AM
He's got nowhere to go but up....hopefully.

RichH55
12-11-2002, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
He's got nowhere to go but up....hopefully.

Exactly my thinking....he gets a short leash, but he also gets another shot

duke of dorwood
12-11-2002, 08:59 AM
Long relief the first month of the season with all the days off. If he does OK, give him a start in May.

jortafan
12-11-2002, 09:00 AM
I realize Ritchie has to be in the rotation so that Kenny can try to salvage his professional reputation. But I never was impressed with the idea of having him around, mainly because his career had been as a prospect and pitcher with the 1990s Twins who were worthless, and with the Pirates who weren't any better. I realize people believe he only needed a good ballclub behind him to have a winning record, but he always struck me as a loser-mentality type who was just thankful to be collecting major league meal money and other perks, NOT to be concerned with actually winning a pennant. That said, I'll admit I thought initially that picking up David Wells was a great move. Shows you how little I know.

MarkEdward
12-11-2002, 12:25 PM
I don't understand where all this Ritchie optimism is coming from. He had one above average season (1999), an average season (1997, in a reliever's role), and three straight below average seasons. His minor league numbers are awful. I don't even understand *how* he made to the majors.

I'd say we're better off releasing Ritchie and picking up a career minor league pitcher. He has the same chance of succeeding as Ritchie does.