PDA

View Full Version : Sox in SI

whitesoxwilkes
12-09-2002, 07:53 PM
Hey guys, wondering if you can help me out. In either the late 80s or early 90s when they were playing really, SI ran a big article about the Sox and Sox fans. I can;t remember much about it other than one of the pictures was a shot of a bunch of fans holding a sign that said "YUPPIE SCUM GO BACK TO WRIGLEY." Anyone remember when this was, as I want to get a copy of that issue. Thanks!

Foulke You
12-09-2002, 08:29 PM
I don't remember that issue but would definitely like a full size blow up poster of that. :D:

TornLabrum
12-09-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Hey guys, wondering if you can help me out. In either the late 80s or early 90s when they were playing really, SI ran a big article about the Sox and Sox fans. I can;t remember much about it other than one of the pictures was a shot of a bunch of fans holding a sign that said "YUPPIE SCUM GO BACK TO WRIGLEY." Anyone remember when this was, as I want to get a copy of that issue. Thanks!

My son and I were at at least one game where that sigh was held up. We've always considered it a classic.

Lip Man 1
12-09-2002, 09:54 PM
You are thinking of two stories that ran in SI during the summer of 1990.

The first one aired in mid June about the time the Sox were getting ready to take on Oakland in seven games over ten days. That story had a small picture of the banner "yuppie scum--go back to Wrigley" hanging over the outfield wall.

The second was by William Nack entitled "Hey, Hey,Hey Goodbye." On page 76 they mention that sign when talking about the differences between Sox and Cub fans. That story came out in either July or August after the Sox beat the Yankees 1-0 to move into first place. (It was the game Calderon made a sensational sliding catch in LC followed up by Ventura's catching a foul pop and getting a face full of beer as he fell down. Both were in the 9th inning.)

The Nack story traces the whole history of Comiskey Park and mentions the famous Mike Andrews quote to Sparky Lyle right before Dick Allen hammered a game winning three run home run. It also has this quote from longtime Sox fan Gardner Stern: "If you like shrubbery, you go to Wrigley...if you love baseball you come here (Comiskey)"

Lip

whitesoxwilkes
12-09-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
You are thinking of two stories that ran in SI during the summer of 1990.

The first one aired in mid June about the time the Sox were getting ready to take on Oakland in seven games over ten days. That story had a small picture of the banner "yuppie scum--go back to Wrigley" hanging over the outfield wall.

Lip

That's the one. Lip, YOU DA MAN!

mike squires
12-10-2002, 12:03 AM
I know I've told you this before lip, but I was at that Sox Yankee game...there was a buzz in the ball park that night in the ninth. Kittle hit one into the uppder deck as did Dave Winfield. The two catches int the ninth were amazing.

I will also never forget unfortunatly the night Lee Stevens hit the homerun to straightaway centerfield as One Dog just hung on the wall. I think we all knew are chances were nill after that night.

3 guys I will always remember...

Tito Landrum, Lee Stevens and Edgar.

I also have a nice article from Newsweek, July 9th '90. It has a picture of Carlton Fisk with his arm around Ozzie. A quote from the article reads...

"Next year the Sox will play in a stunning new Comiskey Park"

My how time changes everything...

HITMEN OF 77
12-10-2002, 12:53 AM
Someone should post those articles for all to read who missed it the first time. Classics indeed!!

hold2dibber
12-10-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
3 guys I will always remember...

Tito Landrum, Lee Stevens and Edgar.

I'm gonna go curl up in the fetal position now and sob.

jortafan
12-10-2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
Someone should post those articles for all to read who missed it the first time. Classics indeed!!

Maybe this is just another sign that I'm an old fart, but my first reaction was that I'm going to have to hit the local library and see if I can weed my way through the microfilm/fiche to find that issue. I doubt that Sports Illustrated's archives on the Internet go back as far as the early 1990s. If they do, I'd be shocked.

Lip Man 1
12-10-2002, 12:29 PM
SI archives do not go back that far, and the Nack story was 12 pages long!

Lip

Brian26
12-10-2002, 01:25 PM
If anyone is interested, I actually have the 9th inning on tape from the game mentioned above (Calderon's sensational sliding catch, and then Robin's catch in foul territory). It's really funny to watch because Ozzie was right next to Robin when he made the catch. Ozzie was the first person to see that Robin had the ball in his glove, so Ozzie turned to the umpire with this hilarious look on his face like "Holy ****! He caught it!!!". The SportsChannel tv crew freezed the replay on that part, and Hawk & Paciorek were having a ball watching it. There was a haze over the park because of the fireworks that had been going off earlier in the game. There was an amazing buzz and excitement over the entire park. Field of Dreams-esque, if you will. An amazing combination of the culmination of 90 years of history in the ballpark colliding with a fresh, young, hungry team that might just pull off a miracle. Really a great moment to be a Sox fan. I have a tape of various highlights from that season. I usually taped the last inning or two of games when I could. If anyone wants a copy, let me know.

brian2653@aol.com