PDA

View Full Version : Nomar talk

mike squires
12-09-2002, 04:04 PM
They were talking about Nomar today on 670. They said Boston is reportadly willing to part with him. They made the comment that they would trade Konerko and Lee for him in a heartbeat! (the radio personalities) I realize they were just talking, but no way do you trade both of those guys for Nomar.

whitesoxwilkes
12-09-2002, 04:08 PM
:ass

yeah, I'd get rid of Pauly in a heartbeat! He blew me off and didn;t come on my show, what good is he? No-mahh is my guy!

Dadawg_77
12-09-2002, 04:09 PM
I would probally trade one or the other for Nomar but not both. But then again if the Sox knew Nomar was at full strength, it might make sence for the Sox to make that move.

moochpuppy
12-09-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes

yeah, I'd get rid of Pauly in a heartbeat! He blew me off and didn;t come on my show, what good is he? No-mahh is my guy!

"Oh wait, let me change my shades."

kermittheefrog
12-09-2002, 04:29 PM
I'd trade them both for Nomar in a second.

OfficerKarkovice
12-09-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

As would I...without thinking twice...assuming you had him signed to a long term contract of course.

NewyorkSoxFan
12-09-2002, 04:33 PM
Why are we even entertaining this idea, of course we would make the deal but why would they? Yea CLee and the green monster 81 times a year.. YIKES that would be a sight.

NYSF :)

OneDog
12-09-2002, 05:00 PM

:KW
Maybe if I threw in Crede, Buerhle, and cash, then I'd consider it.

baggio202
12-09-2002, 05:16 PM
id make that trade too...nomar is a marquee name..we need a few of those guys on the south side

PaleHoseGeorge
12-09-2002, 05:21 PM

Absolutely! If history has taught us anything about championship teams (and Sox failures), you can't substitute quantity for quality.

It's a hell of a lot easier to replace Konerko (the #7 rated everyday firstbasemen, and Lee (the #3 rated everyday leftfielder) than it would ever be to get the best shortstop this side of Alex Rodriguez. This is a no-brainer.

Quick--find me a slow-footed power hitter to play 1B and another one (not so slow) to play LF. There are plenty of teams willing to deal away those sorts of commodities.

:liefer :liefer :liefer :liefer :liefer :liefer
"How many Jeff Liefer clones are sitting on the bench in the A.L.?"

Hullett_Fan
12-09-2002, 05:31 PM
They were talking about Nomar today on 670. They said Boston is reportadly willing to part with him.

:moron

"My sources tell me Boston is giving serious thought to trading Garciaparra to my beloved Cubs for Farnsworth and a bag of balls."

RedPinStripes
12-09-2002, 05:53 PM

Hell yeah! As much as i'd hate to see Pauly go, that is one of the few trades that is worth it. And i think Boston would want more then just Konerko and Lee since it would be nothing but a side show with Dumbass Caballo and the monster.

Jjav829
12-09-2002, 09:20 PM
I'd do that deal in a second, but it won't happen. Just imagine Nomar and Maggs back to back in the lineup.

WinningUgly!
12-09-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I'd do that deal in a second, but it won't happen. Just imagine Nomar and Maggs back to back in the lineup.

Imagine the things that would be going through Johnny Damon's head, with Carlos Lee to his right & Manny Ramirez to his left in that outfield.

RedPinStripes
12-09-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Imagine the things that would be going through Johnny Damon's head, with Carlos Lee to his right & Manny Ramirez to his left in that outfield.

LOL! Now that's entertainment! :gulp:

Jjav829
12-09-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Hey might as well throw him in while we're at it. Then he won't have to worry about Lee and Ramirez on each side of him. :smile:

Iwritecode
12-10-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Absolutely! If history has taught us anything about championship teams (and Sox failures), you can't substitute quantity for quality.

It's a hell of a lot easier to replace Konerko (the #7 rated everyday firstbasemen, and Lee (the #3 rated everyday leftfielder) than it would ever be to get the best shortstop this side of Alex Rodriguez. This is a no-brainer.

Quick--find me a slow-footed power hitter to play 1B and another one (not so slow) to play LF. There are plenty of teams willing to deal away those sorts of commodities.

:liefer :liefer :liefer :liefer :liefer :liefer
"How many Jeff Liefer clones are sitting on the bench in the A.L.?"

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but that sounds like a horrible trade. You are essentially downgrading the offensive production (and possibly defensive) from 1B and LF to upgrade the defense (and somewhat offense) at short. Plus you are adding yet another right-handed bat to an already righty dominated lineup.

I just don't think the offensive production of Nomar, Liefer-clone, Liefer-clone would compare to Konerko, Lee and Manos no matter how much of a defensive upgrade we get at short. Or maybe I'm just biased and too much of an offensive-minded guy... :smile:

Of course the problem is that this is how KW seems to operate. He always manages to fill one hole while creating another one somewhere else. I'd hate to see this trade happen and then wonder how much we will have to give up to replace Lee and Konerko...

OfficerKarkovice
12-10-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I'm sure I'm in the minority here but that sounds like a horrible trade. You are essentially downgrading the offensive production (and possibly defensive) from 1B and LF to upgrade the defense (and somewhat offense) at short. Plus you are adding yet another right-handed bat to an already righty dominated lineup.

I just don't think the offensive production of Nomar, Liefer-clone, Liefer-clone would compare to Konerko, Lee and Manos no matter how much of a defensive upgrade we get at short. Or maybe I'm just biased and too much of an offensive-minded guy... :smile:

Of course the problem is that this is how KW seems to operate. He always manages to fill one hole while creating another one somewhere else. I'd hate to see this trade happen and then wonder how much we will have to give up to replace Lee and Konerko...

Well let's take a trip to fantasy land here for a minute and see what life after this supposed trade would look like. Here is what I would do at least:

2B: D'Angelo Jiminez
DH: Jose Valentin
1B: Frank Thomas
RF: Magglio Ordonez
SS: Nomar Garciaparra
3B: Joe Crede
LF: Joe Borchard
CF: Aaron Rowand
C: Miguel Olivo

Pete_SSAC
12-10-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
Well let's take a trip to fantasy land here for a minute and see what life after this supposed trade would look like. Here is what I would do at least:

Thomas at First everyday? Excuse me....

*runs away screaming and sobbing, clawing his eyes out and tearing off his his shirt while curling up into the fetal postion and sucking his thumb.*

- Pete

OfficerKarkovice
12-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC

*runs away screaming and sobbing, clawing his eyes out and tearing off his his shirt while curling up into the fetal postion and sucking his thumb.*

- Pete

He's done it before...why not give him another shot at it. He wants to turn his career around and I don't see why this couldn't be a part of it. I would much rather see Frank there every day than see Jeff Leifer ever again.

FarmerAndy
12-10-2002, 05:04 PM
I wouldn't think twice about it. You can replace Paulie at 1B. I would even give Frank a chance there. Manos is a good utility guy who can spell players at almost any position, and DH too, so I wouldn't worry about him. Carlos can also be replaced.

I know we get attached to some of our players, but a deal like this would bring in a player that is on another level. Just imagine Frank, Maggs, and Nomar on the same team.

Pete_SSAC
12-10-2002, 06:08 PM
He's done it before...why not give him another shot at it. He wants to turn his career around and I don't see why this couldn't be a part of it. I would much rather see Frank there every day than see Jeff Leifer ever again.

As a DH I don't mind Frank too much, but I seriously question his glove. Keep in mind, I'm not a fan of Leif.'s glove either.

Also, haven't we been down this "Let me play 1st base!" sthick before with him?

Also, while I think the immedate results would work in our favor, I don't like the idea of Paulie going away, because I think his best years are still ahead of him.

Eh,

- Pete

hold2dibber
12-10-2002, 06:16 PM

I'd consider trying Manos at 1B. My guess is he'd be better than Frank.

hold2dibber
12-10-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

The upgrade offensively between Manos and Nomar at SS is massive. Nomar is a much, much, much more potent bat than is Manos.

RichH55
12-10-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
The upgrade offensively between Manos and Nomar at SS is massive. Nomar is a much, much, much more potent bat than is Manos.

Nomar has had two down years the last two years and has been somewhat injury prone....thats not to say I don't want him here, just pointing that out....plus I just cant see Boston moving him...he's an icon in Boston....It takes alot more to move an icon

RedPinStripes
12-10-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC

- Pete

*****!

OfficerKarkovice
12-10-2002, 06:54 PM
I don't think the defensive differences between Frank and Konerko are as large as some of you may think. Frank provides a huge target for fielders to throw to, does a good job scooping balls out of the dirt, and has decent range and pretty good quickness for a man his size. While his lack of throwing abilitly is obvioulsly worse than Konerko's, I don't think he is all that much worse of a fielder. If Frank is committed to getting himself into better shape, as it seems he is, I think he would be just fine at 1B.

idseer
12-10-2002, 08:46 PM
frank should have his glove burned and never, i repeat, NEVER be allowed to field again!

hose
12-10-2002, 09:47 PM
I don't think the defensive differences between Frank and Konerko are as large as some of you may think. Frank provides a huge target for fielders to throw to, does a good job scooping balls out of the dirt, and has decent range and pretty good quickness for a man his size. While his lack of throwing abilitly is obvioulsly worse than Konerko's, I don't think he is all that much worse of a fielder. If Frank is committed to getting himself into better shape, as it seems he is, I think he would be just fine at 1B.

If Frank gets back to his MVP form, his bat will be missed during the away N.L. games.

Konerko is going to have to DH some games to give Thomas playing time at 1b.

Last year was a mess, hopefully things work out better this season.

I always regret the day Hurt "gave up" being the every day 1st baseman.

StepsInSC
12-10-2002, 10:47 PM
Let Frank play CF for the NL games.

RKMeibalane
12-10-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Let Frank play CF for the NL games.

I can see it now. An outfield of Josh Paul, Frank Thomas, and Jeff Liefer.

:jerry

"Now there's an idea. I might try that!"

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

OfficerKarkovice
12-10-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I can see it now. An outfield of Josh Paul, Frank Thomas, and Jeff Liefer.

:jerry

"Now there's an idea. I might try that!"

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

Man you're improving our outfield by taking CLee out of there...Paul or Liefer would do a better job defensively.

cornball
12-11-2002, 12:17 AM
It would be an even better deal if you could switch Valentin with Lee...either way you could lose on this deal ...it will never happen...just speculation on Sullivan's column in the Trib on Sunday.

Chisoxfn
12-11-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy

"Oh wait, let me change my shades."

I'd trade those two and a talented prospect for Nomar in a heartbeat. Man, Nomar is amazing.

baggio202
12-12-2002, 03:42 AM
if you get a chance to get a guy like nomar...you do it..its a no brainer imo...

RichH55
12-12-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
if you get a chance to get a guy like nomar...you do it..its a no brainer imo...

It really all depends on the deal and contracts.....I mean you could liken it to Vlad...getting him would be great, but what do you give up? And what do you give up if you cant sign him longterm?

RKMeibalane
12-12-2002, 07:11 PM
Besides, the Sox are not looking for a shortstop. Sure, Nomar would be a HUGE upgrade at that position, but I don't think it's necessary to create holes in other areas, which KW does each time he makes a deal.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-12-2002, 07:17 PM
Replacing firstbasemen and leftfielders of the quality of Konerko and Lee is very easy compared with the task of getting a shortstop the quality of Nomar.

There is no substitute for quality. You could field a team of 100 PHG's and the team would still suck compared to one A-Rod.

Make that 100,000 PHG's. :smile: