PDA

View Full Version : White Sox top 10 prospect list came out today...Phil Rogers to chat about it...

SoxxoS
12-09-2002, 12:16 PM
Send in your tough questions, like
Why is Borchard hitting under his weight in the Mexican league?

3 P.M. Eastern time.

www.baseballamerica.com

Hullett_Fan
12-09-2002, 01:02 PM
Why is Borchard hitting under his weight in the Mexican league?

Can anyone say Chad Hutchinson???

:D: :jauron

"Sign him up!!"

Blueprint1
12-09-2002, 01:25 PM
Yeah im not paying $42 to read that

kermittheefrog
12-09-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Can anyone say Chad Hutchinson???

:D: :jauron

"Sign him up!!"

Right. Borchard will not turn out like Hutchinson. It's not a lot of games, he's just in a slump.

NewyorkSoxFan
12-09-2002, 03:31 PM
I love reading Phil, he gives great scouts and has less emotion than most of us have. :smile: He even sheds light on K Dubs' moves, and they make sense. I think I love that guy!!!

NYSF :)

NewyorkSoxFan
12-09-2002, 04:06 PM
I was curious what we know about the minor league pitcher rumored to be coming to the Sox from the A's. Sounds like he might be a pretty good prospect?

NYSF

joecrede
12-09-2002, 04:22 PM
Phil hinted that the other minor leaguer coming to the Sox as part of the Koch deal is a position player who was a high round pick, not J.T. Stotts (ss) or Jeremy Brown (c)

HawkDJ
12-09-2002, 04:23 PM
Can someone post the list?

kermittheefrog
12-09-2002, 04:31 PM
The other prospect may be SS Bobby Crosby.

And here's the top ten list:
1. Joe Borchard, OF
2. Miguel Olivo, C
3. Anthony Webster, OF
4. Kris Honel, SP
5. Jon Rauch, SP
6. Corwin Malone, SP
7. Andy Gonzalez, SS
8. Felix Diaz, SP
9. Arnoldo Munoz, RP
10. Royce Ring, RP

HawkDJ
12-09-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
The other prospect may be SS Bobby Crosby.

And here's the top ten list:
1. Joe Borchard, OF
2. Miguel Olivo, C
3. Anthony Webster, OF
4. Kris Honel, SP
5. Jon Rauch, SP
6. Corwin Malone, SP
7. Andy Gonzalez, SS
8. Felix Diaz, SP
9. Arnoldo Munoz, RP
10. Royce Ring, RP

Anthony Webster, eh? Haven't heard much of him. What can any of the minor league experts say about him.

kermittheefrog
12-09-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Anthony Webster, eh? Haven't heard much of him. What can any of the minor league experts say about him.

Anthony Webser is an outfielder with great tools but hasn't played in full season ball yet. Next year he should open the season at Kannapolis which will be his first full season league. Phil Rogers compares him to Marquis Grissom as far as skills. He has already shown a decent batting eye, striking out as much as he walked last year. But numbers below A-ball don't really mean much.

HawkDJ
12-09-2002, 05:58 PM
How can he possibly be above Rauch and Honel then?

Daver
12-09-2002, 06:10 PM

Projection.

If he attains his potential,an everyday player will always project out higher than a pitcher,because a pitcher plays once every five days.

Keep in mind Webster is a pretty raw talent right now,and is at least three years away from being considered for a major league roster,his ranking is based on him developing the skills he has now.

kermittheefrog
12-09-2002, 07:21 PM

I could see how he ranks above Honel but honestly in my opinion I say he's too far away to rank ahead of Rauch.

Lip Man 1
12-09-2002, 09:05 PM
Also perhaps because of the surgery and getting hammered in April / May, Rauch isn't as highly regarded as he once was.

Lip

Vsahajpal
12-09-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by daver
Projection.

If he attains his potential,an everyday player will always project out higher than a pitcher,because a pitcher plays once every five days.

Keep in mind Webster is a pretty raw talent right now,and is at least three years away from being considered for a major league roster,his ranking is based on him developing the skills he has now.

I don't know about that. If Honel reaches his ceiling (frontline starter), he will affect more AB than Anthony Webster ever will. Buehrle, for example, factored in on over 900 AB this past year, no Sox batter had over 600 AB, and probably didn't reach 700 PA's.

I don't agree with Webster's ranking ahead of Honel. Honel will finish next year as a 20 y/o and may reach double-A.

Daver
12-09-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
I don't know about that. If Honel reaches his ceiling (frontline starter), he will affect more AB than Anthony Webster ever will. Buehrle, for example, factored in on over 900 AB this past year, no Sox batter had over 600 AB, and probably didn't reach 700 PA's.

I don't agree with Webster's ranking ahead of Honel. Honel will finish next year as a 20 y/o and may reach double-A.

Jeez Vic I was answering a question,not giving my opinion.

Vsahajpal
12-09-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by daver
Jeez Vic I was answering a question,not giving my opinion.

I know, I don't think you feel Webster's a better prospect than Honel at this point.

However, I don't think he's ranked ahead of Honel because he's a position player.

Daver
12-09-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

However, I don't think he's ranked ahead of Honel because he's a position player.

No it is based on raw talent,I have my issues with that,but that is based on who is doing the rankings.If you and Randar made up the list it would come out quite different,I just toss my thoughts in.

HawkDJ
12-10-2002, 04:13 PM
Also, where is Ed Almonte? Has he somehow dropped off althoug he did great last year?

doublem23
12-10-2002, 04:24 PM
Also, where is Ed Almonte? Has he somehow dropped off
althoug he did great last year?

Minor League Closer = Minimal impact on MLB roster.

I'd be very surprised if Almonte logged over 150 innings of MLB work in his career.

HawkDJ
12-10-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

I'd be very surprised if Almonte logged over 150 innings of MLB work in his career.

So why was everyone pissed we gave up Valentine?

Daver
12-10-2002, 07:15 PM
So why was everyone pissed we gave up Valentine?

I wasn't.

SoxxoS
12-10-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

That really doesn't bode well for Royce Ring then...

RichH55
12-10-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
That really doesn't bode well for Royce Ring then...

I think Royce Ring is pegged as one of the exception to the rule types, especially in what they expect out of him