PDA

View Full Version : Mendoza Available

Lip Man 1
12-08-2002, 01:05 PM
There is one pitcher out there now available whom I think most Sox fans would want in a heartbeat.

The Yankees did NOT offer arbitration to Ramero Mendoza last night.

This guy has pitched brilliantly in both long relief and in spot starts. He could fill a lot of areas for the Sox.

The question is, why would a guy this valuable not be tendered arbitration? I know he missed some time last year with an arm injury, maybe the Yanks know something.

Either way this is a guy the Sox should DEFINATELY take a long hard look at!!!

Lip

Jerry_Manuel
12-08-2002, 01:08 PM
Yeah, this is a curious move by the Yankees. Maybe this is a move to free up some more money.

duke of dorwood
12-08-2002, 01:51 PM
He could be what Sean Lowe was in 2000. We saw how valuable that was. If KW and the manager meant what they said about bolstering the pen as their blueprint to win, they should get him.

RKMeibalane
12-08-2002, 02:00 PM
How much money was Mendoza making? Could the Sox get him for under three million?

Daver
12-08-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
How much money was Mendoza making? Could the Sox get him for under three million?

Last year he made 2.6 Mil.

RedPinStripes
12-08-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by daver
Last year he made 2.6 Mil.

Maybe they know he's really 48? :D:

I would take a chance on him for 3 mill.

jeremyb1
12-08-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

i think it'd be nice to sign another reliever. mike timlin and dave veres are also available. we should give one of them a shot.

WinningUgly!
12-08-2002, 02:29 PM
He'd be a great addition, but form what I've heard, he's looking to become a full time starter - something the Yankees were not willing to let him do.

baggio202
12-08-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

top reliever on my list would be mike stanton..but he is , like any other quality athlete , not in our supposed price range...

the yanks probably didnt offer him arbitration because they might be trying to get their payroll down to the luxary tax level...they wont make it this year but have to be working towards that direction for future years...i guess some good might have come out of this new agreement if that it the case

MarkEdward
12-08-2002, 03:47 PM
Mendoza would be nice, and I'd try him as a starters. The Sox already have way many relievers. Plus, Mendoza was starter in the minors, and put up decent numbers.

joecrede
12-08-2002, 03:53 PM
I think Mendoza would be an excellent alternative to Biddle as a #4 starter. He's a guy who could pitch well enough to be our #3 or if things go really right for him even #2. I would think he'd find the Sox appealing too seeing as how they would give him the opportunity to start and would provide him with pretty good run support (in theory) and have a solid bullpen (also in theory) backing him up.

If I were KW I'd make him a priority.

Daver
12-08-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
I think Mendoza would be an excellent alternative to Biddle as a #4 starter. He's a guy who could pitch well enough to be our #3 or if things go really right for him even #2. I would think he'd find the Sox appealing too seeing as how they would give him the opportunity to start and would provide him with pretty good run support (in theory) and have a solid bullpen (also in theory) backing him up.

If I were KW I'd make him a priority.

All things being equal I would rather have a healthy Rocky Biddle in the rotation than Mendoza,but that is just me.

Paulwny
12-08-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

The question is, why would a guy this valuable not be tendered arbitration? I know he missed some time last year with an arm injury, maybe the Yanks know something.
Lip

From Newsday:
Mendoza upset team officials by being quite susceptible to injury and by not being diligent when it came to off-the-field training.

Lip Man 1
12-08-2002, 08:14 PM
Gang:

Just FYI, Phil Rogers was kind enough to get back to me after I asked him what he knows about Mendoza's situation. This is his reply:

"Yeah, Mendoza is hurt. I think the Yankees have some serious questions about his health. Maybe the Sox should sign Mike Stanton. I think everyone of his teams have been in the playoffs since 1991. Now that's a streak!" Phil

MarkEdward
12-08-2002, 09:38 PM
Gang:

"Yeah, Mendoza is hurt. I think the Yankees have some serious questions about his health. Maybe the Sox should sign Mike Stanton. I think everyone of his teams have been in the playoffs since 1991. Now that's a streak!" Phil

Ah yes, gotta get that veteran presence on your team. Is Luis Sojo available?

hose
12-08-2002, 09:39 PM
Gang:

Just FYI, Phil Rogers was kind enough to get back to me after I asked him what he knows about Mendoza's situation. This is his reply:

Mendoza....no

Stanton has been great, hate to say it, but I think the Cubs might go after him.

David Justice is available...there's your left handed stick and he has a pretty good track record for making the playoffs also.

WinningUgly!
12-08-2002, 09:58 PM
The Yankees and Stanton parted ways after the team gave Stanton a two-year, $4.6 million take-it-or-leave-it offer, which he had 15 minutes to decide upon, the Associated Press reports.

Stanton's career post season numbers...
G-53 ERA-2.10 Record-5-2 SV-1 IP-55.7 H-42 ER-13 BB-21 SO-48

Not too shabby.

guillen4life13
12-08-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
The Yankees and Stanton parted ways after the team gave Stanton a two-year, $4.6 million take-it-or-leave-it offer, which he had 15 minutes to decide upon, the Associated Press reports.

Stanton's career post season numbers...
G-53 ERA-2.10 Record-5-2 SV-1 IP-55.7 H-42 ER-13 BB-21 SO-48

Not too shabby.

Of course, we need to get to the postseason first before we even think of the guy's postseason stats. What are his regular season career numbers like? What type of salary would he be looking at?

This bullpen looks damn good to me though:

Glover
Stanton/Mendoza
Marte
Koch
Osuna
Munoz

How does that look to you guys? When you look at it, all of these guys are setup/closer material...Glover with long relief opportunities, but a very capable setup man. If only Ramiro wasn't hurt.

WinningUgly!
12-08-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Of course, we need to get to the postseason first before we even think of the guy's postseason stats. What are his regular season career numbers like? What type of salary would he be looking at?

2002 numbers...
G-79 IP-78.0 H-73 R-29 ER-26 BB-28 SO-44 W-7 L-1 Hld-17 Sv-6 BS-3 BAA-.256 WHIP-1.29 ERA-3.00

Career numbers (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=4391)

OEO Magglio
12-08-2002, 10:39 PM
Right now I really like how our bullpen looks, if we could sign Stanton or Mendoza that would be a real plus, but I also don't think Munoz will be in the bullpen next year, Stanton or Mendoza would be a great pickup, go for it KW.

Lip Man 1
12-09-2002, 10:46 AM
Paul Sullivan was kind enough to get back to me regarding my question about Mendoza.

He said he asked Kenny Williams about Mendoza on Sunday, and Williams said he's asking for too much money.

Last year Mendoza made 2.6 million.

When the Sox were selling off everyone last July, I recalled someone posting that with the Sox "the kids can play" until they make over two million a season.

Seems three million for a quality swing guy is too much for the Sox to handle. Amazing...

Lip