PDA

View Full Version : Lieber is Gone

RichH55
12-08-2002, 08:51 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cub08.html

Now I'm not big on the "PR Splash" type signings....but this one would seem worth the risk...the main sticking point seemed to be a two-year guartneed(sic) deal......It would steal some Cubs thunder, but more importantly I still think Lieber has something left in the tank....We aren't signing a viable #2 anytime soon, so we might as well take a shot on Lieber

TornLabrum
12-08-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cub08.html

Now I'm not big on the "PR Splash" type signings....but this one would seem worth the risk...the main sticking point seemed to be a two-year guartneed(sic) deal......It would steal some Cubs thunder, but more importantly I still think Lieber has something left in the tank....We aren't signing a viable #2 anytime soon, so we might as well take a shot on Lieber

Just what we need. An ex-Cub with a sore arm.

:KW

"Anybody got Lieber's phone number?"

duke of dorwood
12-08-2002, 10:24 AM
I'd give him a try-He could be a help to us about the time we'd need an experienced pitcher to pick up. I really like the way he battles. It worked for a year with Cal Eldred, didnt it?

RichH55
12-08-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Just what we need. An ex-Cub with a sore arm.

:KW

"Anybody got Lieber's phone number?"

Hes out for next year, but a solid pitcher who won 20 games for the Cubs? Thats worth taking a shot on

TornLabrum
12-08-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Hes out for next year, but a solid pitcher who won 20 games for the Cubs? Thats worth taking a shot on

Exactly how long did it take our pitchers to recover from their arm surgeries?

Dadawg_77
12-08-2002, 11:03 AM
You might get him for very cheap. How many teams will give a guy serious cash knowing he won't pitch until 2004?

RichH55
12-08-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Exactly how long did it take our pitchers to recover from their arm surgeries?

Depends on the guy.....I assume Lieber does nothing in 2003...this would be a move for 2004...he's not asking for 10 million a season. Plus he's got a better track record then most(if not all) of our guys with arm problems.

mrwag
12-08-2002, 10:09 PM
It'd boil down to $$$. If he's cheap enough, the risk is minimal.

hose
12-08-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by mrwag
It'd boil down to $$$. If he's cheap enough, the risk is minimal.

If he was cheap the Cubs would have signed him, my bet is they still will . I believe the Cubs now have to wait untill March before they are allowed to make Lieber an offer.

OfficerKarkovice
12-08-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by hose
If he was cheap the Cubs would have signed him, my bet is they still will . I believe the Cubs now have to wait untill March before they are allowed to make Lieber an offer.
More like May 1st I believe...I would imagine someone will sign him before then.

jeremyb1
12-09-2002, 03:11 AM
trib reports the sox have serious interest in lieber. go figure.

hose
12-09-2002, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
More like May 1st I believe...I would imagine someone will sign him before then.

I got my months mixed up.

NewyorkSoxFan
12-09-2002, 09:13 AM
Leiber is a very smart pitcher, and this is his first major injury. Remember a guy named Smoltz? He had a very similar injury, and yea he's doing ok. They said he could pitch by August, and he is already throwing. Of course his problem with the Flubs is that they wouldn't give him a guaranteed year in '04, so it may be a security issue with him, as well as respect after what he has done for them.

It would be nice to have him in the rotation in '04 if he is healthy. That will be a huge FA year as well so that could eliminate a big need at a very reasonable cost.

NYSF

DrCrawdad
12-09-2002, 10:25 AM
I seem to remember that when Lieber went down with the injury last season the Cubs brass made statements about how Lieber would without a doubt be signed in spite of the injury.

Maybe my memory is mistaken. Does anyone else remember those statements? I did a search on ChicagoSports.com but to view the pages you have to pay. No thanks. I don't want to contribute any money to the Tribune Company.

If my memory is correct then I have to admit that I'm shocked that none of our fine sportswriters took the Cubs to task for this...

- DrCrawdad.

Hangar18
12-09-2002, 02:44 PM
I say sign him...Would be a smart move on the sox part (something they dont do too much these days)
and would keep him away from the CUbs. someone here
pointed out hes a soft styled pitcher....yes he is.
He will come back ok, like Smoltz did. Sign him Cheap
2 yrs, ala Cal Eldred, and haunt the Cubs...how cool would that be?
I always liked Lieber.
Too Bad KW didnt get Matt Clement from the Marlins,,,,
seeing how they basically just gave the guy away. How
stupid is that team??
IF Fay Vincent were in office, that trade wouldnt have ever
happened. The McGriff "trade" too.

Foulke You
12-09-2002, 03:18 PM
Lieber was about the only player I liked on the Cubs. He's always been the horse of the Cubs staff contrary to the Kerry Wood love-in that happens on the North Side from their fans. (I swear no pitcher in baseball got more out of one season than Kerry Wood did in 1998). Lieber is an ace calibur pitcher when healthy.;

Siging Lieber would raise some interesting issues. Suppose the Sox are in a pennant race with the Twins in August, would you risk messing up the rotation by adding a rehabbed Lieber? I suppose it could be like adding a veteran pitcher in a trade but he could also come back and lay an egg a la Jim Parque and be a train wreck. This will be an interesting development to keep an eye on. I think adding Lieber would be a pretty good addition but I just pray that KW doesn't think that signing Lieber (unavaliable until August) is the only pitcher he needs to sign this offseason.