PDA

View Full Version : Now that Frank is here whos happy about it?

chisox06
12-07-2002, 10:29 PM
Well I know Im going to be the minority here but Im not too happy Frank is back. What has he done for me lately? Walked out on Spring training, not present in the dugout when he got benched etc, last 2 seasons have been terrible for Frank and hes had more action off the field then on it.

Now dont get me wrong if Frank can turn it around Im all for it, hes the best hitter to ever wear a sox uniform but I wouldn't have minded one bit if he signed with another team, I just dont see him being the same Frank that he once was, and it seemed that this team was moving in a new direction with new up and coming stars (Mags, Paulie).

kevingrt
12-07-2002, 10:38 PM
I don't think he is still one of the great hitters in the league, but I do think he has the potential to be a .300 hitter. He really did do somewhat well during the end of the season, and he has shown the spark to look like a .300 hitter. I like the contract though bein 1 year, but with opitions up to 3 years. It works for both Frank and the White Sox. I love the signing, and I do think the Big Hurt will come back and put a hurting on these pitchers!

Daver
12-07-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Well I know Im going to be the minority here but Im not too happy Frank is back. What has he done for me lately? Walked out on Spring training, not present in the dugout when he got benched etc, last 2 seasons have been terrible for Frank and hes had more action off the field then on it.

Now dont get me wrong if Frank can turn it around Im all for it, hes the best hitter to ever wear a sox uniform but I wouldn't have minded one bit if he signed with another team, I just dont see him being the same Frank that he once was, and it seemed that this team was moving in a new direction with new up and coming stars (Mags, Paulie).

Umm,he is 34 years old and is one of the best hitters in MLB history,you don't kick a player like that to the curb.Frank's best years may still be ahead of him,remember Barry Bonds won an MVP at age 39.

OneDog
12-07-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by daver
Umm,he is 34 years old and is one of the best hitters in MLB history,you don't kick a player like that to the curb.Frank's best years may still be ahead of him,remember Barry Bonds won an MVP at age 39.

I don't think he's anywhere close to the Barry Bonds level, but if Frank turns it back on in the twilight of his career the way Edgar Martinez did, I would gladly take that. I'm in agreement with you Daver, I just see Frank being THAT good late in his career.

Jerry_Manuel
12-07-2002, 11:07 PM
I'm happy to hear he is working with Walt, so I guess I'm glad he is back.

However, if he has a "down" year, I don't want to hear any more crap about his 2001 injury.

TornLabrum
12-07-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

However, if he has a "down" year, I don't want to hear any more crap about his 2001 injury.

And if he has a good year?

RichH55
12-07-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

Then Jerry will have something else to complain about

voodoochile
12-07-2002, 11:25 PM

Just explain what you mean by "crap" and I'll do my best to accomodate you. However, as TL insinuates in his post, I would expect all the bashers to do the exact opposite and eat some hefty crow if Frank has a good year.

chisox06
12-08-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Just explain what you mean by "crap" and I'll do my best to accomodate you. However, as TL insinuates in his post, I would expect all the bashers to do the exact opposite and eat some hefty crow if Frank has a good year.

And thats exactly what I would do. Franks got something to prove, because there are a lot of doubters out there right now, and Im obviously one of them. If he hits .300, 25+ hrs, and 100+ RBI's, then theres not much you can say, but after his recent actions on and off the field he owes the fans and himself a superstar caliber season.

Daver
12-08-2002, 12:33 AM
And thats exactly what I would do. Franks got something to prove, because there are a lot of doubters out there right now, and Im obviously one of them. If he hits .300, 25+ hrs, and 100+ RBI's, then theres not much you can say, but after his recent actions on and off the field he owes the fans and himself a superstar caliber season.

He doesn't owe the fans a damn thing,these are the same fans that booed him last year for producing numbers that a lot of players would be more than happy to put up.

Nellie_Fox
12-08-2002, 12:51 AM
And thats exactly what I would do. Franks got something to prove, because there are a lot of doubters out there right now, and Im obviously one of them. If he hits .300, 25+ hrs, and 100+ RBI's, then theres not much you can say, but after his recent actions on and off the field he owes the fans and himself a superstar caliber season. I'm predicting .320+, 40+, 120+. I am still outraged at how Sox fans turned on the best hitter in a Sox uniform since Joe Jackson when he hit tough times.

Jjav829
12-08-2002, 12:56 AM

You've done it now. The members of the FTALS will be all over you.

Jjav829
12-08-2002, 12:59 AM
He doesn't owe the fans a damn thing,these are the same fans that booed him last year for producing numbers that a lot of players would be more than happy to put up.

Just to make sure that we're both on the same track here. We're talking about the same fans who are the sole reason that players such as Frank Thomas can play a kids game and make much more money than the average teacher, etc. makes? The same fans who are the reason that Frank Thomas isn't busting his ass working from 8-5 in a factory somewhere or bustling around in a busy office trying to meet deadlines? Those fans? No, he (or any other player) doesn't owe them anything.

Daver
12-08-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Just to make sure that we're both on the same track here. We're talking about the same fans who are the sole reason that players such as Frank Thomas can play a kids game and make much more money than the average teacher, etc. makes? The same fans who are the reason that Frank Thomas isn't busting his ass working from 8-5 in a factory somewhere or bustling around in a busy office trying to meet deadlines? Those fans? No, he (or any other player) doesn't owe them anything.

Jealousy is not a replacement for reality,if you had the talent to make a big league roster your opinion would be a lot different.

Jjav829
12-08-2002, 01:29 AM
Jealousy is not a replacement for reality,if you had the talent to make a big league roster your opinion would be a lot different.

And you would know this, how? From your experience on a big league roster? Yeah...So whats the reality here? So your telling me the fans are NOT the reason that Frank Thomas has a "job" playing a game? Interesting. BTW, I guess guys like Cal Ripken Jr. never were on a big league roster because their opinion sure is along the lines of what I said.

Daver
12-08-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
And you would know this, how? From your experience on a big league roster? Yeah...So whats the reality here? So your telling me the fans are NOT the reason that Frank Thomas has a "job" playing a game? Interesting. BTW, I guess guys like Cal Ripken Jr. never were on a big league roster because their opinion sure is along the lines of what I said.

You missed my point,but I will not digress.

Jjav829
12-08-2002, 01:40 AM
You missed my point,but I will not digress.

O Ok. Well I thought your point was that Frank "doesn't owe the fans a damn thing", to which I disagreed. I guess I misunderstood though.

Brian26
12-08-2002, 02:05 AM
Jjav-

Preach the gospel, brother. I agree with you 100%. It's a silly game that guys get paid millions of dollars to play. Even if I had the talent to play at the major league level, I think I'd have to admit to myself that I was a VERY fortunate guy.

FarWestChicago
12-08-2002, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
I am still outraged at how Sox fans turned on the best hitter in a Sox uniform since Joe Jackson when he hit tough times. You're not the only one, Nellie.

RedPinStripes
12-08-2002, 04:12 AM

There goes Franks Lawyer again. :smile:

I'm glad he's back since he's working with Walt. I think this new deal he signed sets things up for him not to finish his career in chicago though.

RedPinStripes
12-08-2002, 04:19 AM

These are the same fan who pay his salary too. They have a right to say what they want. Not all of you agree and that's why i spent quite a few nights here arguing over frank. No matter who it is. If they're hurting the team, i will bash them. Doesnt mean i dont like the player. Last year he should not have been hitting 3rd or 4th though until he started to hit at the end of the season. That's Jerry Manuel though.

RichH55
12-08-2002, 04:38 AM

I agree Daver.....He has given us years of quality production, we owe him something....Harold got 2 extra years for his contributions and those numbers weren't even in the same hemisphere as a bad Frank year

RichH55
12-08-2002, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
These are the same fan who pay his salary too. They have a right to say what they want. Not all of you agree and that's why i spent quite a few nights here arguing over frank. No matter who it is. If they're hurting the team, i will bash them. Doesnt mean i dont like the player. Last year he should not have been hitting 3rd or 4th though until he started to hit at the end of the season. That's Jerry Manuel though.

The key kids is to set the bar low....then if you dont screw up royally you win the perception battle...there is no bigger albatross to throw around someones neck than potential....

harwar
12-08-2002, 09:38 AM
I think Big Frank is poised to have a really good(not monster) year.That may be enough with all of the fire-power we will have this season.One more "really good" starter is what we need,along with lady-luck shining down on us instead of kicking us around.

idseer
12-08-2002, 10:50 AM
i'm glad he's back even tho i was one of his bashers. the reason being i think he's worth what he's to be paid. i almost see him as icing on an already dangerous cake.
if he hit's .280/20/90 he'll be worth playing every day but i will hope he's serious about his conditioning and desire and does more like .300/25/110!
if frank keeps his mouth shut and acts like a team member i have no problem with him playing out his days with the sox.

Dadawg_77
12-08-2002, 11:06 AM
Frank will have a MVP year. avg .320 slg .650+ hr 40+ obp .400+ BB 120+ RBI 130+

The Sox will score 900+ runs this year and take the AL Central.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-08-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Jjav-

Preach the gospel, brother. I agree with you 100%. It's a silly game that guys get paid millions of dollars to play. Even if I had the talent to play at the major league level, I think I'd have to admit to myself that I was a VERY fortunate guy.

Hey, the solution for you two guys is very simple: don't go to see the Sox. There are several minor league facilities conveniently around Chicago. None of those players have egos--not yet, anyway.

Or try one of the college games around town. Flames Field at UIC features a great view of Chicago's skyline and cheap concessions. The quality of play is ragged, but you can't beat the price.

Why not high school baseball? The only people watching besides you will be family and friends of the ballplayers. I suggest bringing a sack lunch, too. Most of the ballplayers you watch are better qualified to work at Pale Hose Burgers & Fries than play professionally.

And of course there is always the local park. I hear kids still sometimes play pickup games. Bring your glove and they might let you play an inning or two yourself. Remember--right field is out.

Whining about ballplayers who don't work 9 to 5 jobs is just silly. YOU are the reason they don't.

TornLabrum
12-08-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Hey, the solution for you two guys is very simple: don't go to see the Sox. There are several minor league facilities conveniently around Chicago. None of those players have egos--not yet, anyway.

Or try one of the college games around town. Flames Field at UIC features a great view of Chicago's skyline and cheap concessions. The quality of play is ragged, but you can't beat the price.

Why not high school baseball? The only people watching besides you will be family and friends of the ballplayers. I suggest bringing a sack lunch, too. Most of the ballplayers you watch are better qualified to work at Pale Hose Burgers & Fries than play professionally.

And of course there is always the local park. I hear kids still sometimes play pickup games. Bring your glove and they might let you play an inning or two yourself. Remember--right field is out.

Whining about ballplayers who don't work 9 to 5 jobs is just silly. YOU are the reason they don't.

PHG, you know a little economics, too, so I'm sure you'll chime in when I mention that there are a lot of people who like to watch sports played at the highest level, and are willing to pay (demand). Howeever, there are only 30 major league clubs with 25 players per club. When you do the math, you'll see that 750 guys in the whole world who are playing at that level of competition (supply).

Small supply, great demand, high salaries to those capable of meeting that demand (and high ticket prices).

voodoochile
12-08-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
There goes Franks Lawyer again. :smile:

I'm glad he's back since he's working with Walt. I think this new deal he signed sets things up for him not to finish his career in chicago though.

I thought RKM was Frank's Lawyer. I'm just a big fan who is tired of people ripping on him and using half the facts to defend their position. I've said all along that next year will be the year we find out if Frank is capable of putting up 2000 style numbers (and I fully expect it or something close enough that people will stop bashing the man). I haven't seen much of the other side of the coin where people who bash the guy are willing to give him a chance to prove them wrong. He's in their doghouse and there he will stay.

While were at it, let's gripe about the money movie stars make. Heck, What does Mick Jagger bring to the world other than a big pair of lips and the ability to jump around like a frog on crank. What about Stephen King? Think he deserves to be that rich? All he does is write stupid horror novels. The fact is - entertainers get paid out of proportion to that which they contribute to society - unless you count their ability to distract us from our boring mundane 9-5 lives as a contribution. Thus has it ever been, thus will it ever be. Can't we get over it already?

Back to the general topic... What did Frank personally do to deserve this much animosity? He has never once ripped on the fans. All the rest is Moron hype...

cornball
12-08-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I agree Daver.....He has given us years of quality production, we owe him something....Harold got 2 extra years for his contributions and those numbers weren't even in the same hemisphere as a bad Frank year

I don't understand, Frank doesn't owe the fans anything but we owe him?

Jerry_Manuel
12-08-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

If he has a good year, then I have nothing to complain about.

Jerry_Manuel
12-08-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Then Jerry will have something else to complain about

No, I'm feeling pretty good right now.

Jerry_Manuel
12-08-2002, 01:38 PM

Well, last year the excuse for his "poor" year was his injury. When 2003 starts, he'll have had 2 full years since the operation.

Perhaps crap was the wrong word to use.

I just don't want to hear his injury is why he is not performing well, if he doesn't hit like we know he can.

RedPinStripes
12-08-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by cornball
I don't understand, Frank doesn't owe the fans anything but we owe him?

Nope. We give him enough by buying tickets during the season.

idseer
12-08-2002, 02:51 PM
it's always been my feeling that it's an illusion that anyone owes
anyone else anything in sports other than what is included in contracts.
an athlete owes nothing to a fan. a fan owes nothing to an athlete.

RedPinStripes
12-08-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by idseer
it's always been my feeling that it's an illusion that anyone owes
anyone else anything in sports other than what is included in contracts.
an athlete owes nothing to a fan. a fan owes nothing to an athlete.

Thank you. I'm a big fan of Crede and Ventura. Think they give a **** about me? I just pay to watch them play. All i can do.

RedPinStripes
12-08-2002, 02:56 PM
Well, last year the excuse for his "poor" year was his injury. When 2003 starts, he'll have had 2 full years since the operation.

Perhaps crap was the wrong word to use.

I just don't want to hear his injury is why he is not performing well, if he doesn't hit like we know he can.

I'm sure someone will bring that up when he goes in a slump. Anything to make the crittics look bad.

RKMeibalane
12-08-2002, 02:58 PM
I thought RKM was Frank's Lawyer.

The defense calls its first witness... :D:

In all seriousness, I'm glad Frank is staying in Chicago. We live in an era where most of the "big-name" sports stars change teams as often as most people change their clothes, so it's nice to see someone remain with his original team.

The coming baseball season is important for Frank Thomas. In all likelyhood, his success over the next year or so will go a long way towards determining whether he is still capable of producing on a daily basis, as he did for the first decade of his career.

I think he will have a good year. By that, I mean he will provide the following numbers:

.315 35 HR 120 RBI

Those numbers should be enough in the middle of the Sox lineup, provided Ordonez and Konerko are healthy, and Carlos Lee continues to produce in the number six slot.

I was happy to see that Thomas will be working with Hriniak again. This probably makes Gary Ward look even worse in the eyes of the general public, but that's a small price to pay for the success of the White Sox as a whole.

RedPinStripes
12-08-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

In all seriousness, I'm glad Frank is staying in Chicago. We live in an era where most of the "big-name" sports stars change teams as often as most people change their clothes, so it's nice to see someone remain with his original team.

The coming baseball season is important for Frank Thomas. In all likelyhood, his success over the next year or so will go a long way towards determining whether he is still capable of producing on a daily basis, as he did for the first decade of his career.

I think he will have a good year. By that, I mean he will provide the following numbers:

.315 35 HR 120 RBI

Those numbers should be enough in the middle of the Sox lineup, provided Ordonez and Konerko are healthy, and Carlos Lee continues to produce in the number six slot.

I was happy to see that Thomas will be working with Hriniak again. This probably makes Gary Ward look even worse in the eyes of the general public, but that's a small price to pay for the success of the White Sox as a whole.

i think ward might be the last "hall monitor "left. :angry:

RichH55
12-08-2002, 06:01 PM

.315 35 HR 120 RBI

I never understood the problem with Thomas working with Walt....I dont buy the it tears the team apart argument...Frank has a track record and if it takes Walt to make the swing work, even if its psycho-somatic you let it take place

WhiteSoxWinner
12-08-2002, 06:08 PM
I think this little excursion into free agency could be the reality check Frank needed. No, he is not the stud he used to be because he has been a disruption in the clubhouse and his skills have declined. I hope that this makes him rethink his career and rededicate himself to baseball.

SouthSideHitman
12-08-2002, 08:17 PM
I'm for bringing the Hurt back because given his September numbers and the amount of work he's putting in this offseason, .315, 35, 135 isn't too farfetched. Besides if he hits 25 homers for five years, that gives him over 500 and I want to see him with a Sox hat in Cooperstown. I used to worry about his demeanor, but you know what, the clubhouse is always hunky-dory when we're winning and i think we will at least make October in '03.

Daver
12-08-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
I'm for bringing the Hurt back because given his September numbers and the amount of work he's putting in this offseason, .315, 35, 135 isn't too farfetched. Besides if he hits 25 homers for five years, that gives him over 500 and I want to see him with a Sox hat in Cooperstown. I used to worry about his demeanor, but you know what, the clubhouse is always hunky-dory when we're winning and i think we will at least make October in '03.

Pass those rose colored glasses my way if you don't mind.

WinningUgly!
12-08-2002, 09:05 PM

.315 35 HR 120 RBI

.315 35 HR 120 RBI? Should be good enough? This is why Frank Thomas can't win. The damn bar is set way too high.

Everybody has to remember that he is not supposed to be the "Frank of old". The owner & general manager of the team don't expect him to be, that's why his diminished skills clause was invoked! The next time any Sox fan boos or bad mouths Frank Thomas' play, I hope they first stop to think about all the other MLB players, through out the history of the league, that never had to take a pay cut when thier production dipped. Frank should be able to get his average up quite a bit from last year, but to expect .315 35 HR & 120 RBI is nuts. If the guy is making $10 million he better be producing like that, Frank's not...so be a little more realistic & expect .270 25 HR & 95 RBI. Anything over that is gravy.

NewyorkSoxFan
12-08-2002, 09:18 PM
Could we lower are expectations a little for this guy. We should be happy if he could be just a solid guy in the top or our lineup. .280 25 100 would be just fine. He may never approach the type of production he had early in his career. But those would be good numbers, and could help this team win. Of course we need them spread out over the entire year not in Sept. when teams are out of it and you are facing AAA pitching.

I am curious though that Frank has rededicated himself to working out and wanting to play first base now that the clause has been invoked. You would think that he would have done that after having a major injury and missing almost that entire year. Frank always has an interesting perspective on things.

NYSF :)

mrwag
12-08-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
I am curious though that Frank has rededicated himself to working out and wanting to play first base now that the clause has been invoked. You would think that he would have done that after having a major injury and missing almost that entire year. Frank always has an interesting perspective on things.

Sometimes we just need a wake-up call. I think he got what he needed. Let's hope and pray.

hose
12-08-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by mrwag
Sometimes we just need a wake-up call. I think he got what he needed. Let's hope and pray.

Amen and pass the MVP crown

TornLabrum
12-08-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by hose
Amen and pass the MVP crown

One thing to consider is that Frank is 34 now, and the end of his career is a lot closer than the start. He got a taste of what it's like to be on the downside of a career last year. Hopefully his new dedication lasts and he makes the decline portion of his career a gradual slide rather than a precipitous crash.

chisox06
12-09-2002, 05:06 PM

Oh please. What is he, God? Franks a baseball player, and to be honest he hasnt been playin much baseball lately. Incase you havent noticed, those tickets, and merchandise you buy, pay for Franks salary (what a concept). I dont have time for a guy thats .230 for the majority of the year and does nothing but complain about hes not getting any playing time. Hes a winer hands down, funny how one of the few veteran players can be one of the most immature and childish players on the entire team.

NewyorkSoxFan
12-09-2002, 05:10 PM
Yea he had numbers that alot of players would be happy with, but not one who is being paid 10 million dollars. Frank feels disrespected by everyone now, lets see what he does about it. Frank balls in your court!!!

RKMeibalane
12-20-2004, 04:19 PM
You've done it now. The members of the FTALS will be all over you.
Am I in that club? I've been meaning to ask you for more than two years now. :D:

HomeFish
12-20-2004, 04:21 PM
Frank Thomas won't put up 1994 numbers anytime soon, but man can he take a walk.

OurBitchinMinny
12-20-2004, 04:25 PM
He is not even close to being one of the best hitters in the league and is very injury prone now. But he is one of the best white sox players ever and I want him to see him win a championship here. He probably wont win a championship due to the morons that run this team, but he can still retire a white sox member and I want to see that. But if he does want to go elsewhere to win a title I can understand that. He has put up with (a lot has been self-inflicted) crap here.

RKMeibalane
12-20-2004, 04:30 PM
He is not even close to being one of the best hitters in the league and is very injury prone now.
Oh, really? If that's the case, would you mind explaining exactly how Frank managed to rank amongst the most productive hitters in the Amiercan League before he went down with the ankle injury? Ranking third in the league in OPS is more than enough evidence that Frank is still one of the best hitters in the American League. There's more to being a great hitter than just batting average.