PDA

View Full Version : '03 Payroll

joecrede
12-07-2002, 10:01 PM
Hey All,

I did a little calculatin' and pegged the Sox payroll at roughly $47.5M next year. This figure assumes Koch's salary at $5.5M and Buehrle receiving a generous pay bump to $2M from the Chairman.

That figure drops to $29.5M in '04 with Valentin, Osuna and Graffinino free agents and Buehrle, Koch and Lee arbitration elidgible.

It looks like they're in pretty good shape to add a salary over the next 2-3 years. Nothing much excites me about this year's free agents. I'd go with the team as is this year and enter next year's market.

Daver
12-07-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Hey All,

I did a little calculatin' and pegged the Sox payroll at roughly $47.5M next year. This figure assumes Koch's salary at $5.5M and Buehrle receiving a generous pay bump to $2M from the Chairman.

That figure drops to $29.5M in '04 with Valentin, Osuna and Graffinino free agents and Buehrle, Koch and Lee arbitration elidgible.

It looks like they're in pretty good shape to add a salary over the next 2-3 years. Nothing much excites me about this year's free agents. I'd go with the team as is this year and enter next year's market.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

kevingrt
12-07-2002, 10:40 PM
Hey All,

Those are some pretty good calculations. I just hope we can somehow get some starting pitchers, even though it might raise the Sox payroll it bit.

Lip Man 1
12-07-2002, 10:52 PM
Joe Crede says:

It looks like they're in pretty good shape to add a salary over the next 2-3 years.

Joe "wishful thinking" is supposed to be in deep pink!

Gee, the 3rd largest market in the country with a payroll not even at 48 million bucks. That would be incredibly funny if it wasn't so sickening and disgusting!

An 80 million dollar payroll is more like it.

Lip

OneDog
12-07-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Joe Crede says:

It looks like they're in pretty good shape to add a salary over the next 2-3 years.

Joe "wishful thinking" is supposed to be in deep pink!

Gee, the 3rd largest market in the country with a payroll not even at 48 million bucks. That would be incredibly funny if it wasn't so sickening and disgusting!

An 80 million dollar payroll is more like it.

Lip :reinsy
"What's really funny is that you expect me to drop $80 mil. What else do you expect me to do? Sign a big name starter to a long term deal?"

RedPinStripes
12-08-2002, 04:07 AM
Great choice of a screen name. Crede kicks ass!

RichH55
12-08-2002, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Great choice of a screen name. Crede kicks ass!

What about Roadblock Jones? Sure he's never posted, but thats a quality name! Where is his praise? Oh the humanity...you fair weather fan you:) :D: :gulp: :gulp:

hold2dibber
12-08-2002, 11:18 AM
Hey All,

If those calculations are right, that's fantastic. I agree that this year's free agents aren't that impressive, particularly in the starting pitching area. But I still wouldn't mind a deal for someone like Colon or Vazquez who the Sox could then sign to a long term deal to avoid having that player go to free agency down the road.

RichH55
12-08-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
If those calculations are right, that's fantastic. I agree that this year's free agents aren't that impressive, particularly in the starting pitching area. But I still wouldn't mind a deal for someone like Colon or Vazquez who the Sox could then sign to a long term deal to avoid having that player go to free agency down the road.

The 2004 FAs are pretty nice as well....not the greatest idea to constantly be thinking about next year, but it seems like there could be a plan in place.....at least I can hope

jeremyb1
12-08-2002, 03:37 PM
Hey All,

by my count we've cut 18 million in salary going into this year (5 from ray, 5 from frank, 5 from clayton, and 3 from alomar) and we've only added 2.5 from maggs deal, 2.7 from paully's deal, and a couple hundred thousand from wunsch. i'd love to see us do something with that 13 million at some point.

hold2dibber
12-08-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
by my count we've cut 18 million in salary going into this year (5 from ray, 5 from frank, 5 from clayton, and 3 from alomar) and we've only added 2.5 from maggs deal, 2.7 from paully's deal, and a couple hundred thousand from wunsch. i'd love to see us do something with that 13 million at some point.

Also, they trimmed about $2 million on the Howry trade, in all likelihood about $1 million or more in the Koch/Foulke deal, $1.25 million in trading Lofton, $1 million that they paid Parque last year, and I believe Ritchie made about $3 million last year (of course, we don't know if he'll be back or if he is, how much he'll get).

On the other hand, I think Carlos will make about $2 million more in '03 than he did in '02, and I've heard it estimated that the increase in the major league minimum in the new CBA will cost the Sox about $1 million or so.

But all said, the Sox certainly have some room to add some payroll at this point.

joecrede
12-08-2002, 04:36 PM
I'd be proactive with Buehrle & Lee. Do you think Buehrle would accept a 3yr/$15M deal? Something like $3M in '03, $5M in '04, and $7M in '05? I think think that's pretty fair. As for Lee, I'd see if he'd bite on a 2 year $12-13M extension for '04 & '05. I believe he's making $4.2M next year, no?

These deals would put our estimated '03 payroll at about $48.5M and our estimated '04 payroll at about $43M. (Koch eligible for arbitration, Valentin, Osuna, and Graff free agents.)

RedPinStripes
12-08-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
What about Roadblock Jones? Sure he's never posted, but thats a quality name! Where is his praise? Oh the humanity...you fair weather fan you:) :D: :gulp: :gulp:

I tend to show some favoritism for Joe Crede. :D: