PDA

View Full Version : Giants Sign Durham

jeremyb1
12-07-2002, 07:30 PM
meaning that the a's will be getting a first round draft pick.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1207/1473034.html

rmusacch
12-07-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
meaning that the a's will be getting a first round draft pick.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1207/1473034.html

They also offered Jeff Kent salary arbitration. It should be interested if kent accepts. Will they move Kent to third?

jeremyb1
12-07-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
They also offered Jeff Kent salary arbitration. It should be interested if kent accepts. Will they move Kent to third?

they probably counting on that as part of the reason kent won't accept. he wants to stay at second.

TornLabrum
12-07-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
they probably counting on that as part of the reason kent won't accept. he wants to stay at second.

The ultimate irony would be if the Jints signed Kent, kept him at second base, and moved Durham to center.

HawkDJ
12-07-2002, 09:57 PM
Hopefully the signing doesn't mean Kent goes to the Cubs.

Vsahajpal
12-07-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

Amen!

Jerry_Manuel
12-07-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Amen!

Why are you anti-Kent, Vic?

Vsahajpal
12-07-2002, 10:17 PM
Because he can't play 3B, he'd eat up payroll, in a year or so he won't even be a marginal 2B, and with the right side of the infield set for the next decade (hopefully), it wouldn't make sense. Moreover, he's getting old, and Barry Lamar will not be protecting him.

RichH55
12-07-2002, 10:24 PM
Because he can't play 3B, he'd eat up payroll, in a year or so he won't even be a marginal 2B, and with the right side of the infield set for the next decade (hopefully), it wouldn't make sense. Moreover, he's getting old, and Barry Lamar will not be protecting him.

Kent will be akin to signing Larkin...we shall see

cheeses_h_rice
12-07-2002, 10:25 PM
and with the right side of the infield set for the next decade (hopefully)

Vic, your Flubbie-fan-ness is showing...

:)

voodoochile
12-07-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Surely you jest... Hill and Choi will lead them to the promised land...

Man, I couldn't even type that with a straight face...

:D:

rmusacch
12-07-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The ultimate irony would be if the Jints signed Kent, kept him at second base, and moved Durham to center.

I think that is the plan. Durham is quoted as saying he is open to playing outfield This is what he had to say, ''I am open to the outfield,'' Durham said. ''That was one of the big questions coming into my free agent year: Will he be willing to go play center field? And my answer was yes. Wherever the team needs me, that's where I'll go. Wherever they need me.''

Why wouldn't he play outfield for the Sox?

rmusacch
12-07-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Surely you jest... Hill and Choi will lead them to the promised land...

Man, I couldn't even type that with a straight face...

:D:

I thought Hill was going to Montreal anyways?

voodoochile
12-07-2002, 10:33 PM
I thought Hill was going to Montreal anyways?

Then who is going to lock down the 2B position for the flubbies and pair with Choi to take Vic and his fellow faithful for the ride of their lives?

Bellhorn?

voodoochile
12-07-2002, 10:34 PM
I think that is the plan. Durham is quoted as saying he is open to playing outfield This is what he had to say, ''I am open to the outfield,'' Durham said. ''That was one of the big questions coming into my free agent year: Will he be willing to go play center field? And my answer was yes. Wherever the team needs me, that's where I'll go. Wherever they need me.''

Sometimes it takes a change of scenery and a kick in the ass to wake people up. Apparently the flubbies were trying to get Eckersley to convert to closer, but he refused. Then he ends up in Oakland and the rest is history...

Vsahajpal
12-07-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Well, I said hopefully :smile:

I have faith in Hendry, I don't see him trading either player, he better not.

WinningUgly!
12-07-2002, 11:18 PM

Durham didn't want to play OF for the Sox becasue he figured he'd have more value as a FA at 2B. Kinda ironic that the team that signed him will now most likely be using him in the OF.

RichH55
12-08-2002, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Durham didn't want to play OF for the Sox becasue he figured he'd have more value as a FA at 2B. Kinda ironic that the team that signed him will now most likely be using him in the OF.

He hasn't played there yet.....athletes have a funny way of getting there way by bitching....the squeeky wheel gets the grease I guess

Soxheads
12-09-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

Well, they already have a 2B in Mark Grudzielanek, one of my favorite NLers. I don't know why, though. He's a Flub now, which sucks.

Vsahajpal
12-09-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
Well, they already have a 2B in Mark Grudzielanek, one of my favorite NLers. I don't know why, though. He's a Flub now, which sucks.

He's brutal.

Daver
12-09-2002, 07:10 PM
He's brutal.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that Vic.