PDA

View Full Version : Quotes from the sun-times

RedPinStripes
12-07-2002, 10:32 AM
Thomas continues to work out daily in Las Vegas and, according to Williams, he again will work with hitting guru Walt Hriniak. The two worked together before the 2000 season, when Thomas had 43 home runs and 143 RBI and just missed out on MVP honors.

As for the apparent strained relationship between Thomas and his general manager, Williams isn't worried it will be a distraction.

''Frank and I are not going to have any social conversations on a friendship level, and I'm not sure it has to be that way,'' Williams said. ''We have business decisions to make, and those affect personal relationships. Ultimately, he has to respect that I have a job to do and I have to respect the fact, along with the manager and coaches, what he has accomplished.''
Is it me? Or does KW show how much this deal was not his choice?

MarkEdward
12-07-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Anyone else think Kenny's trying to end all facets of Ron Schuler's regime?

RedPinStripes
12-07-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Anyone else think Kenny's trying to end all facets of Ron Schuler's regime?

Definatly. He traded half the 2000 team away and the farm once he took over.

WinningUgly!
12-07-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

He sounds like Uncle Jerry put him in his place on this one.

Like it or not Kenny, unlike you, Frank has done good things for this franchise & is being kept around & rewarded for those things.

OneDog
12-07-2002, 11:16 AM
I'm encouraged by the fact that Thomas is working out with Hriniak again. Thomas credited Hriniak with his 2000 recovery and seems to be the only person to get Frank's head together. But I'm also worried that if Frank has a great season in 2003 he won't pick up his part of the mutual option and leave the Sox for better cash.

Kilroy
12-07-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by OneDog
I'm encouraged by the fact that Thomas is working out with Hriniak again. Thomas credited Hriniak with his 2000 recovery and seems to be the only person to get Frank's head together. But I'm also worried that if Frank has a great season in 2003 he won't pick up his part of the mutual option and leave the Sox for better cash.

Well, it looks to me like if Frank plays badly, and has no prospects for a new deal, then he can excercise his option and come back for 6 mil. If Frank plays great and gets plenty of teams interested, the Sox can keep him for 8 mil with their option.

OneDog
12-07-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Well, it looks to me like if Frank plays badly, and has no prospects for a new deal, then he can excercise his option and come back for 6 mil. If Frank plays great and gets plenty of teams interested, the Sox can keep him for 8 mil with their option.

Oh. Thanks for clearing that up for me

RKMeibalane
12-07-2002, 01:02 PM
:KW

"This was not my doing. I don't want Frank Thomas on this team. He has contributed nothing to this franchise; thus, his link with us should have been severed. Thomas is the past. I am the future."

This from Ken Williams, the grestest general manager of all time.

OneDog
12-07-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
:KW

"This was not my doing. I don't want Frank Thomas on this team. He has contributed nothing to this franchise; thus, his link with us should have been severed. Thomas is the past. I am the future."

This from Ken Williams, the grestest general manager of all time.

He really is. Just ask him. :D:

Lip Man 1
12-07-2002, 01:09 PM
Based on Williams' comments it's going to be one looonnnggg, interesting, dysfunctional clubhouse and season isn't it?

And who knows what some of Thomas' teammates are thinking?

Get ready for another Williams' "talk" to the team in the early days of Spring training reminding them to "stay together" against all those bad negative fans and media types! (remember when things go wrong, BLAME SOMEONE ELSE! LOL)

Lip

RichH55
12-07-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
(remember when things go wrong, BLAME SOMEONE ELSE! LOL)

Lip

That is the first rule of management

jortafan
12-07-2002, 07:42 PM
It's times like this that I wish it were possible to "farm out" executives. I'd love to send Kenny Williams back to Charlotte right about now, and see if we could get a real GM.