PDA

View Full Version : Comiskey Renovations

KOCH58
12-07-2002, 02:21 AM
Does anyone have any information on the new renovations. There is a ton of activity at the park. A friend of mine's pilot friend flew over to land at midway during day and said entire inside of park is covered in tarps and outfield concourse is being torn up and signboard and scoreboards have no fronts on them. On the Score morning show an employee said extensive additional repairs beyond what were announced previously were in process and that it is all part of a 7 year plan that is not contingent on naming rights. he said an anouncement was to be made in nov but the chairman wants to surprise fans on opening day. he did also answer about a sponsor that talks are again being conducted. I also have a friend who works for Sox who refuses to tell me anything but confirmmed they told HKS to take pictures that were to revealing off their website. does anyone have those pictures to e-mmail to me? please do at: barristersweb@aol.com. rumors on radio by fifth third bank employee later in day said they had contingent deal with Sox that would go through if they got united center also if name gets removed. This is all exciting news but is it true, someone please let me know!

nut_stock
12-07-2002, 10:45 AM
Could someone claiming to have interest in buying season tickets go down to the park and request a tour?????

Daver
12-07-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by KOCH58
Does anyone have any information on the new renovations. There is a ton of activity at the park. A friend of mine's pilot friend flew over to land at midway during day and said entire inside of park is covered in tarps and outfield concourse is being torn up and signboard and scoreboards have no fronts on them. On the Score morning show an employee said extensive additional repairs beyond what were announced previously were in process and that it is all part of a 7 year plan that is not contingent on naming rights. he said an anouncement was to be made in nov but the chairman wants to surprise fans on opening day. he did also answer about a sponsor that talks are again being conducted. I also have a friend who works for Sox who refuses to tell me anything but confirmmed they told HKS to take pictures that were to revealing off their website. does anyone have those pictures to e-mmail to me? please do at: barristersweb@aol.com. rumors on radio by fifth third bank employee later in day said they had contingent deal with Sox that would go through if they got united center also if name gets removed. This is all exciting news but is it true, someone please let me know!

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

cheeses_h_rice
12-07-2002, 12:47 PM

I must say that "Fifth Third Park" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but I've heard of worse alternatives. At least it would take a whole lot of bad management for a big bank to go out of business a la Enron.

HITMEN OF 77
12-07-2002, 01:03 PM
I hate to see the park change names. The name Comiskey has a lot of historical importance to the White Sox and baseball in general. I think names like Safeco Field, Heinz Field etc etc are dumb! I hope they save the name Comiskey Park, it has been a White Sox tradition for many years! Renovations look nice though!

WinningUgly!
12-07-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I must say that "Fifth Third Park" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but I've heard of worse alternatives. At least it would take a whole lot of bad management for a big bank to go out of business a la Enron.

Fifth Third on 35th? Could be worse.

Jjav829
12-07-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

"Come see the White Sox play at Fifth Third Park on 35th street"?

Jjav829
12-07-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Fifth Third on 35th? Could be worse.

By seconds damnit! Literally, seconds! :D:

hold2dibber
12-07-2002, 02:11 PM
On the Score morning show an employee said extensive additional repairs beyond what were announced previously were in process and that it is all part of a 7 year plan that is not contingent on naming rights. he said an anouncement was to be made in nov but the chairman wants to surprise fans on opening day.

If they are indeed renovating the park, why the heck would they want to wait until opening day to "surprise" fans? Wouldn't they want to promote the hell out of the renovations in advance in order to drum up interest in season tickets?

dickallen15
12-07-2002, 02:51 PM
That would be good publicity. You must of momentarily forgotten the names Reinsdorf, Williams, and Gallas.

Daver
12-07-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
That would be good publicity. You must of momentarily forgotten the names Reinsdorf, Williams, and Gallas.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

WinningUgly!
12-07-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
By seconds damnit! Literally, seconds! :D:

Great minds think alike...some are just quicker. :D:

wassagstdu
12-07-2002, 03:07 PM

Or: "Come see whether the Sox finish fifth or third at Fifth Third Park on 35th Street.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-07-2002, 05:20 PM

Screw it. Let's just rename it Fifth Third Street! :smile:

:hizzoner
"dis' is Chicago, my friend. Anyyyy-thing can happen!"

:bluesbros
"This is definitely Fifth-Third Street."
"That's where the Sox play, right?"
"Yep."

:byrne
"Elect me and I promise the snow will never prevent Sox Fans from attending games!"

:washington
"Elect her, and I'll be mayor next!"

:capone
"I'm the real boss in dis' town! Who you crappin'!"

:iron
"Yeah, but I OWN it!"

guillen4life13
12-07-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Screw it. Let's just rename it Fifth Third Street! :smile:

"dis' is Chicago, my friend. Anyyyy-thing can happen!"

:bluesbros
"This is definitely Fifth-Third Street."
"That's where the Sox play, right?"
"Yep."

:byrne
"Elect me and I promise the snow will never prevent Sox Fans from attending games!"

:washington
"Elect her, and I'll be mayor next!"

:capone
"I'm the real boss in dis' town! Who you crappin'!"

:iron
"Yeah, but I OWN it!"

lmao!

DrCrawdad
12-07-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
I hate to see the park change names. The name Comiskey has a lot of historical importance to the White Sox and baseball in general. I think names like Safeco Field, Heinz Field etc etc are dumb! I hope they save the name Comiskey Park, it has been a White Sox tradition for many years! Renovations look nice though!

We do already have two sports stadiums in Chicago with corporate names...

The United Center.
Wrigley Field.

jortafan
12-07-2002, 07:30 PM
Maybe I'm different, but I'd actually like to see the demise of the name Comiskey Park. To me, Comiskey was the building on the north side of 35th Street. Placing it on the new building cheapens the memory of the old. While I would actually prefer the new building to be called White Sox Stadium (like Yankee or Tiger), I guess I would get used to a corporate name. You have to admit, Fifth-Third Field has a better ring to it than Reinsdorf Park.

Daver
12-07-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
Maybe I'm different, but I'd actually like to see the demise of the name Comiskey Park. To me, Comiskey was the building on the north side of 35th Street. Placing it on the new building cheapens the memory of the old. While I would actually prefer the new building to be called White Sox Stadium (like Yankee or Tiger), I guess I would get used to a corporate name. You have to admit, Fifth-Third Field has a better ring to it than Reinsdorf Park.

Bill Veeck Feild.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-07-2002, 07:39 PM

I agree. In fact, I'll go even one step further and state no owner of the White Sox, current or otherwise, deserves the ballpark named for him. Yes, this includes Bill Veeck.

If not a corporate sponsor, the ballpark should be named for an ex-player like Joe Jackson or Luke Appling. If not that, then the World's Greatest Mayor, Richard I.

:appling
"It would be a great honor."

"Better than having some stupid courthouse named for you!"

jortafan
12-07-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by daver
Bill Veeck Feild.

What did Veeck ever do that was so bad as to deserve to have an architectural mediocrity named after him? Actually, that would be the ONLY reason to name it after Jerry. He deserves this kind of legacy.

IronFisk
12-08-2002, 12:07 AM
Who cares whatever its called...as long as it looks like the pics, Ima happy! :)

RichH55
12-08-2002, 03:56 AM

I agree....Comiskey was the old name of the old park....this is a new park with a new regime

RichH55
12-08-2002, 03:57 AM
What did Veeck ever do that was so bad as to deserve to have an architectural mediocrity named after him? Actually, that would be the ONLY reason to name it after Jerry. He deserves this kind of legacy.

For all the crap said about him he doesnt appear to be that type of egomaniac

RichH55
12-08-2002, 03:59 AM

What did the original Cominsky ever do besides own the team to get the honor? If Charles was around with the internet age I think the hatred level for him would be off the charts...he makes JR look like the patron saint of spending money......history and money have a way of making things seem better than they are....Ballparks are rarely named for great reasons, usually its geography or money(be it Minute Maid Stadium or Cominsky Park)...its not like there is a Mother Teresa Field in San Franciso...thats just the way the game is played....Bring on the corporate sponser

jortafan
12-08-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
What did the original Cominsky ever do besides own the team to get the honor? If Charles was around with the internet age I think the hatred level for him would be off the charts...he makes JR look like the patron saint of spending money......history and money have a way of making things seem better than they are....Ballparks are rarely named for great reasons, usually its geography or money(be it Minute Maid Stadium or Cominsky Park)...its not like there is a Mother Teresa Field in San Franciso...thats just the way the game is played....Bring on the corporate sponser

Not that I'm comparing Comiskey to Mother Teresa, but you have to admit there would be NO SUCH TEAM as the Chicago White Sox, if not for the Old Roman. There also likely would be no American League. Which means we'd all probably despise baseball because the Cubs would STILL be too pathetic to root for.

RichH55
12-08-2002, 09:57 AM
Not that I'm comparing Comiskey to Mother Teresa, but you have to admit there would be NO SUCH TEAM as the Chicago White Sox, if not for the Old Roman. There also likely would be no American League. Which means we'd all probably despise baseball because the Cubs would STILL be too pathetic to root for.

So essentially he was a necessary evil....sort of like getting a corporate name these days....Either way, bring on the new name and the new look

ihatethecubs
12-08-2002, 05:20 PM
5/3 bank? im not gonna trust a place with my money that cant even change an improper fraction into a proper one. it should be 1 2/3 bank!