PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas

hose
12-06-2002, 07:06 PM
Just heard on the Score that the Big Hurt signed a one year deal with the White Sox with 3 years as options.

Don't know how accurate the news is but it looks like Frank will be playing on the "south side" next year

Iguana775
12-06-2002, 07:08 PM
any numbers? $$??

Daver
12-06-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by hose
Just heard on the Score that the Big Hurt signed a one year deal with the White Sox with 3 years as options.

Don't know how accurate the news is but it looks like Frank will be playing on the "south side" next year

If that one year is for anything less than forty million dollars Frank should fire his agent on the spot.

Daver
12-06-2002, 07:19 PM
It's already hit the wires,no details on money though. (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=9693565)

cheeses_h_rice
12-06-2002, 07:20 PM
The Score seems to be saying it is just a one-year guaranteed deal, with 3 years on the option...bizarre.

Mike North is saying that Frank might be saying with this deal, "I can still play."

Huh.

RedPinStripes
12-06-2002, 07:20 PM
This doesnt sound right. Thomas was guarenteed 40 million. The only way it makes sense is if Thomas is pissed off and plans to market himself for next years free agency.

Hullett_Fan
12-06-2002, 07:28 PM
The only way it makes sense is if Thomas is pissed off and plans to market himself for next years free agency.

Still wouldn't make sense because next year's FA class is stacked. I just don't get why he'd do it. Is he spiraling into debt and need to pay off bills ASAP???

Like the economist Patrick Ewing said during the last NBA strike:

"People don't understand...we players need to make more money because we spend more money"

StepsInSC
12-06-2002, 07:31 PM
yahoo (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=531&e=5&cid=531&u=/ap/20021207/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_white_sox_thomas)

yes one year with a three year option, yahoo has it up too.

RedPinStripes
12-06-2002, 07:47 PM
Yup just heard a little on the news about it. Didnt say anything about money either.

hempsox
12-06-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
I just don't get why he'd do it. Is he spiraling into debt and need to pay off bills ASAP???

This would be the only way that I could see him wanting to restructure his contract. Perhaps due to the fact that he owes sooo much he cannot get a decent accountant to tell him that he could get a loan on the money that is deferred. Perhaps he knows that when he would get the money the economy will be so wrecked that it wouldn't be worth anything.

Maybe he's afraid that Uncle Jerry will be too poor to pay him when the time comes...

Maybe KW and Frank are drinking from the same water source.?

cheeses_h_rice
12-06-2002, 07:59 PM
According to the article on the MLB site:

Beginning in 2004, Thomas and the White Sox hold mutual one-year options meaning either Thomas or the club can exercise their option for the following season, thereby guaranteeing the contract for another year. If both sides choose not to exercise the option, Thomas becomes a free agent. If Thomas declines his player option for the 2004 season and the White Sox exercise their option, Thomas could become a conditional free agent by buying out the Sox option. The White Sox can buy out Thomas' option for 2006, the final year of the agreement.

So, I'm reading this as meaning that, as long as Frank wants to stay with the White Sox for up to 3 more years, he can.

There has to be more to the contract than this, though; I wonder if the $ figures on the option years vary depending on performance/milestones reached, etc.?

Daver
12-06-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by hempsox
This would be the only way that I could see him wanting to restructure his contract. Perhaps due to the fact that he owes sooo much he cannot get a decent accountant to tell him that he could get a loan on the money that is deferred. Perhaps he knows that when he would get the money the economy will be so wrecked that it wouldn't be worth anything.

Maybe he's afraid that Uncle Jerry will be too poor to pay him when the time comes...

Maybe KW and Frank are drinking from the same water source.?

What totally floors me is the fact that in reality,all Arn Tellem had to do was file a greivance with MLB,there is a limit of two years on deferred money in the new CBA,and I doubt they grandfathered current contracts.Frank would have waited two years to get his money,but instead had his agent sell him a bad deal that cancels out forty million guaranteed dollars.

MisterB
12-06-2002, 08:15 PM
Beginning in 2004, Thomas and the White Sox hold mutual one-year options meaning either Thomas or the club can exercise their option for the following season, thereby guaranteeing the contract for another year. If both sides choose not to exercise the option, Thomas becomes a free agent. If Thomas declines his player option for the 2004 season and the White Sox exercise their option, Thomas could become a conditional free agent by buying out the Sox option . The White Sox can buy out Thomas' option for 2006, the final year of the agreement.

Has anyone ever heard of a PLAYER having to buy out a TEAM option before? Isn't that usually the other way 'round? Thomas moves from one bizzare contract to another...

Daver
12-06-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
Has anyone ever heard of a PLAYER having to buy out a TEAM option before? Isn't that usually the other way 'round? Thomas moves from one bizzare contract to another...

A player buyout is common,it happens more in other sports than it does in baseball,but it is almost always the players way out of a club option when it is a mutual option.

cornball
12-06-2002, 08:26 PM
What was the terms of Franks old contract.

JR was quoted of saying ".....a contract that gives both sides control of future years, while making it possible for Frank to achieve a salary figure very similar to what existed under his old contract..........."

RedPinStripes
12-06-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by daver
What totally floors me is the fact that in reality,all Arn Tellem had to do was file a greivance with MLB,there is a limit of two years on deferred money in the new CBA,and I doubt they grandfathered current contracts.Frank would have waited two years to get his money,but instead had his agent sell him a bad deal that cancels out forty million guaranteed dollars.

I think Thomas did this strictly for money now. If his agent did contact MLB about this, the sox would pay Thomas 300,000 this year and he'll have to wait 2 years for the money. With Franks' 9 million dollar house not sold yet and his divorce, i doubt he can live off that much money right now. Sounds like it's a way for Thomas to have a killer year and test the market next year too to get a raise from someone else.

Just my opinion. :?:

Daver
12-06-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I think Thomas did this strictly for money now. If his agent did contact MLB about this, the sox would pay Thomas 300,000 this year and he'll have to wait 2 years for the money. With Franks' 9 million dollar house not sold yet and his divorce, i doubt he can live off that much money right now.

Just my opinion. :?:

He could easily get a line of credit based on future earnings as opposed to tossing away forty million dollars..........

jeremyb1
12-06-2002, 08:42 PM

assuming frank wants to stay the worst that'll happen is he'll lose the last year at 10 million on the deal. he's sacrificing that because he can buy the deal out after this season. the way i see it frank risked giving up that last year because if he has a monster year this year he can leave and sign a deal elsewhere for more money.

Viva Magglio
12-06-2002, 08:45 PM
I say they use it for re-signing Mágglio after the 2004 season. If I were in charge of things, my motto would be "Whatever Mágglio wants, Mágglio gets."

RKMeibalane
12-06-2002, 08:48 PM
Contract issues aside, I'm glad he's staying.

But someone else is not...

:moron

RedPinStripes
12-06-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I say they use it for re-signing Mágglio after the 2004 season. If I were in charge of things, my motto would be "Whatever Mágglio wants, Mágglio gets."

That's exactly what King George will have to say when Magglio is available.

Lip Man 1
12-06-2002, 09:15 PM
A few updates:

The Chicago Tribune is reporting Thomas is guaranteed over 25 million on the deal.

The Tribune also reports that the Sox are making an immediate loan of ONE MILLION DOLLARS to Thomas...perhaps there is something to the talk about him being badly in debt.

Also the "official" White Sox site says this:

Beginning in 2004, Thomas and the White Sox hold mutual one-year options meaning either Thomas or the club can exercise their option for the following season, thereby guaranteeing the contract for another year. If both sides choose not to exercise the option, Thomas becomes a free agent. If Thomas declines his player option for the 2004 season and the White Sox exercise their option, Thomas could become a conditional free agent by buying out the Sox option. The White Sox can buy out Thomas' option for 2006, the final year of the agreement.

"We have never lost sight of what Frank Thomas has meant to this organization over the past 13 seasons and are pleased to have reached this agreement," White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said. "He is the greatest offensive player in the history of this franchise, and his career certainly is of Hall of Fame caliber."

"Our intent throughout this process was always to treat Frank with the respect he deserves, both professionally and financially," Reinsdorf added. "Arn Tellem (Thomas' agent) and I were able to agree upon a contract that gives both sides some control over future years, while making it possible for Frank to achieve a salary figure very similar to what existed under his old contract.

Interesting that Uncle Jerry and Tellum negotiated the deal NOT Williams isn't It?

Lip

TRL
12-06-2002, 09:25 PM
The Tribune reports:

He gets $5 million in 2003. He can then exercise options for $6 million in 2004, $8 million in 2005 and $10 million in 2006, a year that has a $3.5 million club buyout attached to it.

I'm glad they finally got something done. Frank deserves to end his career here.

RedPinStripes
12-06-2002, 09:54 PM
"We have never lost sight of what Frank Thomas has meant to this organization over the past 13 seasons and are pleased to have reached this agreement," White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said. "He is the greatest offensive player in the history of this franchise, and his career certainly is of Hall of Fame caliber."

That has to be the best pr statement JR has ever said.

Kilroy
12-06-2002, 10:29 PM
Well, I'm looking forward to sitting in my seats and watching Frank start at DH in the coming all-star game. I don't have any doubt that he'll be there now...

Jerry_Manuel
12-06-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Interesting that Uncle Jerry and Tellum negotiated the deal NOT Williams isn't It?

Doesn't want him around.

Lip Man 1
12-06-2002, 10:59 PM
Just FYI:

WGN-TV Sports just aired a phone conversation they had with Ken Williams. On the tape Williams says that Thomas is going to go back and start working again with Walt Hriniak.

Lip

Jerry_Manuel
12-06-2002, 11:00 PM
Just FYI:

WGN-TV Sports just aired a phone conversation they had with Ken Williams. On the tape Williams says that Thomas is going to go back and start working again with Walt Hriniak.

Lip

Nice, he'll have a good year now.

hose
12-06-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Well, I'm looking forward to sitting in my seats and watching Frank start at DH in the coming all-star game. I don't have any doubt that he'll be there now...

I am hoping to see the "Big Hurt" in the home run hitting contest, that would be awesome.

Unless Reinsdork envokes his diminished fan clause on me I'm guaranteed a seat somewhere in the lower section of Comiskey...outfield most likely

DrCrawdad
12-06-2002, 11:10 PM
Just FYI:

Lip

From a report in the Cubune by Sully:

...Williams also acceded to Thomas' request to have former Sox hitting coach Walt Hriniak work with him during spring training in Tucson, Ariz. The last time Thomas brought Hriniak to Arizona, in February of 2000, he wound up having one of his best seasons, leading the Sox to a division title and finishing second to Jason Giambi in American League MVP voting...

"...You're talking about a guy who has a tremendous amount of pride," Williams said. "He told me he has a renewed dedication, a renewed respect for the game and the ability to play the game at a higher level. He's stringently working out and is going to spend time working out with Walt Hriniak this winter, and I expect a carryover effect..."

mrwag
12-06-2002, 11:46 PM
Thomas is going to go back and start working again with Walt Hriniak.

Hell ya! Get ready for the Frank Thomas that we all love for 2003. Maybe we can pursuade the powers that be to build a left field home run porch instead of right field. It's going to be interesting folks. Now, if we can just get that stud pitcher...

Chrisaway
12-06-2002, 11:47 PM
Whew i thought i was gonna have to be a baltimore fan there for a second. Now get some decent pitching and watch Comiskey become less empty this year.

RichH55
12-06-2002, 11:55 PM
More good news....perhaps this wont be a bad offseason afterall

RedPinStripes
12-07-2002, 12:01 AM
Just FYI:

Lip

Good. Now there's a good chance thomas wont look terrible at the plate and since i 'm very critical weather i like a player or not when i see something hurting the team, i'd catch more **** for ripping thomas like i did the past season. :D:

voodoochile
12-07-2002, 12:16 AM
It is with great pride that I announce that I am NOT abandoning the Sox...

About damn time.

Glad to hear the Big Hurt will be right where he belongs next year. Now if they can just land a veteran starter and someone to take the heat off of Olivo it might not be a horrible season after all...

DVG
12-07-2002, 12:47 AM
:moron

I swear upon the blood of mine ancestors and all that I hold sacred and holy that I shall not rest until the useless minimum-
wager is gone from the town that my Sammy owns!! Thomas
is pure evil personified, the Antichrist in human form!! He will
pay dearly for...whatever he did to me!!! By the time I am
through the useless minimum-wager will receive not one Hall of
Fame vote!!! Go, my Sammy!!!

This is WAR!! The battle is joined!! Jihad!!!

MarkEdward
12-07-2002, 12:55 AM
Not a lot to say, except for...

WOOHOO!

WinningUgly!
12-07-2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Not a lot to say, except for...

WOOHOO!

Ditto! http://www.themorlocks.com/talk/images/smiles/gene.gif

PaleHoseGeorge
12-07-2002, 01:10 AM

Interesting? Yes, but not unexpected. When it comes to negotiating the franchise-breaking contracts (Frank Thomas, Albert Belle, Michael Jordan, etc.), Reinsdorf usually handles the details himself. Having a peon like Williams in the equation just makes a mess of everything.

:reinsy
"I send that idiot to get me a private audience with A-Rod, and he screws it up! I nearly did the trick with Horace Grant because I left Krause out of it!"

:KW
"I'm not totally worthless. Boss lets me do most deals, like Todd Ritchie for example."

PaleHoseGeorge
12-07-2002, 01:17 AM
A pair of questions.

1.) Can we be confident KW is finally going to shut his trap about the "team player" b.s. now that JR has given his blessings to Frank Thomas getting hitting advice from Walt Hriniak? Will this, once and for all, shut up Jerry Manuel, too?

2.) If Frank is truly gung-ho to get his hitting stroke back this winter, why is he talking about working with Hriniak in the future tense? It's already December and he hasn't started?

:hurt
"Only morons like Williams and Manuel would think they know how to make 'the greatest hitter in franchise history' better."

"Don't worry, Frank. I know better, and those two will toe the line--or it's their ass! :smile: "

OEO Magglio
12-07-2002, 01:43 AM
THIS IS GREAT!!!!

First of all I'm just happy to have Frank back, but also I think this makes the Sox lineup good enough, where if we have to trade Carlos in a packaged deal to get a number 2 starter, we can do it, its huge to have Frank back, anyway you look at it.

CLR01
12-07-2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Still wouldn't make sense because next year's FA class is stacked. I just don't get why he'd do it. Is he spiraling into debt and need to pay off bills ASAP???

Like the economist Patrick Ewing said during the last NBA strike:

"People don't understand...we players need to make more money because we spend more money"

If Frank is indeed in debt I dont see how he would be able to buy out the sox to become a FA. How much would he have to pay to buy them out? The remaining $ left on the contract, a percentage of it, is there a set dollar amount for that? I dont see JR extending him a loan to do it either. The only way i see him becoming a FA now is if the Sox buy him out. KW is probably on the phones now trying to trade him.

"Frank, Maggs, Buehrle, and Rauch to Oakland for Mark Johnson and Chad Bradford. Who says i dont give the fans what they want?"

:KW

I wonder if JR was able to stick the DSC back in there.

"Now i telling you Frank, i put the DSC back in this contract dont sign it."

"Shut Up! Give me the pen."

bc2k
12-07-2002, 01:54 AM
If Thomas exercises his options, he will make $29 million through 2006 not including any MVP bonuses (which are about $2 million per year).
If Thomas declines his options, and the Sox use their options, Frank will make $36 million not including any MVP bonuses.

Thomas is most likely going to lose money with this new contract. He is taking a pay cut to play for the White Sox. How can you not respect that? There is no way this man won't receive a standing ovation and curtain call in the Home Opener. And I have a feeling that the boo-birds will disappear if not out of respect for his loyalty, then for the MVP numbers he'll be racking up.

guillen4life13
12-07-2002, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
If Thomas exercises his options, he will make $29 million through 2006 not including any MVP bonuses (which are about $2 million per year).
If Thomas declines his options, and the Sox use their options, Frank will make $36 million not including any MVP bonuses.

Thomas is most likely going to lose money with this new contract. He is taking a pay cut to play for the White Sox. How can you not respect that? There is no way this man won't receive a standing ovation and curtain call in the Home Opener. And I have a feeling that the boo-birds will disappear if not out of respect for his loyalty, then for the MVP numbers he'll be racking up.

Whoa! He actually praised Frank Thomas! Woohoo!!! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Champ Summers
12-07-2002, 02:58 AM
Fetch the smelling salts, Champ Summers has just fainted from the joy of Thomas' return and bc2k's praise...

Dan H
12-07-2002, 08:57 AM
Now it will be time for Thomas to produce. No excuses of injuries or layoffs or distractions about his contract. I just hope that when August rolls around this one dimensional player isn't hitting .229.

TornLabrum
12-07-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
Now it will be time for Thomas to produce. No excuses of injuries or layoffs or distractions about his contract. I just hope that when August rolls around this one dimensional player isn't hitting .229.

Well, if he is, you know he'll exercise his option and be back for 2004...and 2005...and 2006.

"Sweeeeet!"

HawkDJ
12-07-2002, 10:56 AM
The $2 milion MVP bonus is actually if he finishes in the top ten in voting.

Iguana775
12-07-2002, 11:04 AM
Great news!!!! :-)

voodoochile
12-07-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
A pair of questions.

1.) Can we be confident KW is finally going to shut his trap about the "team player" b.s. now that JR has given his blessings to Frank Thomas getting hitting advice from Walt Hriniak? Will this, once and for all, shut up Jerry Manuel, too?

2.) If Frank is truly gung-ho to get his hitting stroke back this winter, why is he talking about working with Hriniak in the future tense? It's already December and he hasn't started?

1)Probably not...

2)According to a quote attributed to KW and posted by Dr Crawdad's earlier in this thread:

"He's stringently working out and is going to spend time working out with Walt Hriniak this winter, and I expect a carryover effect..."

So hopefully, he will be starting sooner rather than later, but only time will tell...

Great to have Frank back.

FarWestChicago
12-07-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Great to have Frank back. Yes it is. :smile:

Jjav829
12-07-2002, 02:02 PM
It's great to see Frank back. However, I kind of wonder why he would go for this type of deal. This deal makes him easier to trade or get rid of now. Kind of makes you wonder if the Sox did this just to keep him around for this season with the All-Star game coming to town, and then get rid of him after 2003. It certainly provides Frank with a lot more motivation knowing that with a bad year this year he could find himself on the FA market taking a backseat as teams throw money at guys like Vladdy, Tejada, Colon, and Milwood who are all potential FA's after the season. And the FA market gets stronger after that because if he becomes a FA after 2004, he'll have a hard time finding a good contract with all the talent that could be available then. Hopefully this motivation will lead him to come back strong, in which case he wouldn't have to worry about becoming a FA, unless he wants to.

voodoochile
12-07-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
It's great to see Frank back. However, I kind of wonder why he would go for this type of deal. This deal makes him easier to trade or get rid of now. Kind of makes you wonder if the Sox did this just to keep him around for this season with the All-Star game coming to town, and then get rid of him after 2003. It certainly provides Frank with a lot more motivation knowing that with a bad year this year he could find himself on the FA market taking a backseat as teams throw money at guys like Vladdy, Tejada, Colon, and Milwood who are all potential FA's after the season. And the FA market gets stronger after that because if he becomes a FA after 2004, he'll have a hard time finding a good contract with all the talent that could be available then. Hopefully this motivation will lead him to come back strong, in which case he wouldn't have to worry about becoming a FA, unless he wants to.

Actually, it makes him harder to trade. He is a 10/5 man and can refuse any trade, but with the old contract they could have forced him to accept a trade by threatening him with the DSC/RPS if he excercised his right to refuse the trade. Also, under the old contract, the DSC/RPS goes away if he is traded and all money is guaranteed with nothing deferred so he would have been more likely to accept a trade then because of the potential huge monetary discrepancy if he refused. The Sox cannot force Frank into free agency until the final year of the contract. Frank has options for every year except that one. Yes, they are lower than the team options, but he is guaranteed a certain amount of money under the new contract: 5+6+8+3.5 = $22.5M guaranteed with lots of possible incentive money and even more if he returns to form and the Sox decide to excercise their option. If the contract maxes out, he will actually make more than the old contract allowed for even including the deferred money: 7+10+13+14 = $44M (if he qualifies for all bonuses and the team excercises the option each year).

If Frank has a monster year this year, he can even buy out the contract and test the FA market again, though I doubt he will do it.

rmusacch
12-07-2002, 02:15 PM

I am sure current contracts would have been grandfathered in.

Daver
12-07-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
I am sure current contracts would have been grandfathered in.

I don't think so because they bypass the 60/40 rule.

TornLabrum
12-07-2002, 02:28 PM

First of all, the Sox can only trade him to whatever teams Frank specified. Second of all, if Frank exercises his option (which is the first to come up), the Sox are stuck with him every year, no matter how badly he performs.

This deal gives Thomas security.

Jjav829
12-07-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Actually, it makes him harder to trade. He is a 10/5 man and can refuse any trade, but with the old contract they could have forced him to accept a trade by threatening him with the DSC/RPS if he excercised his right to refuse the trade. Also, under the old contract, the DSC/RPS goes away if he is traded and all money is guaranteed with nothing deferred so he would have been more likely to accept a trade then because of the potential huge monetary discrepancy if he refused. The Sox cannot force Frank into free agency until the final year of the contract. Frank has options for every year except that one. Yes, they are lower than the team options, but he is guaranteed a certain amount of money under the new contract: 5+6+8+3.5 = $22.5M guaranteed with lots of possible incentive money and even more if he returns to form and the Sox decide to excercise their option. If the contract maxes out, he will actually make more than the old contract allowed for even including the deferred money: 7+10+13+14 = $44M (if he qualifies for all bonuses and the team excercises the option each year).

If Frank has a monster year this year, he can even buy out the contract and test the FA market again, though I doubt he will do it.

Is there anything in the contract about him agreeing to wave his 5/10 clause? I briefly heard Grobber mention something about that on the radio this morning but didn't hear exactly what he said. I could be wrong on that. Also do you have a link for the info on his new contract. I haven't read up about it yet, and the only thing I heard is what Mark Vasco said when he first broke the news on The Score yesterday.

Jjav829
12-07-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
First of all, the Sox can only trade him to whatever teams Frank specified. Second of all, if Frank exercises his option (which is the first to come up), the Sox are stuck with him every year, no matter how badly he performs.

This deal gives Thomas security.

Ahh ok. I didn't know that his option came first.

voodoochile
12-07-2002, 03:01 PM
Is there anything in the contract about him agreeing to wave his 5/10 clause? I briefly heard Grobber mention something about that on the radio this morning but didn't hear exactly what he said. I could be wrong on that. Also do you have a link for the info on his new contract. I haven't read up about it yet, and the only thing I heard is what Mark Vasco said when he first broke the news on The Score yesterday.

I read it in the Trib. Here is a link to a story about it, but it is not as well laid out as the chart in the newspaper itself. I also think you have to register.

Frank Contract Story (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-021206soxthomas,0,6281438.story?coll=cs%2Dwhitesox %2Dheadlines)

RichH55
12-07-2002, 03:21 PM

Daver, I'm almost certain that Frank would have no recourse in dealing with his old contract...the players association signed off on it at one point, Frank signed it, it was valid according to the rules at the time....thats binding

kermittheefrog
12-07-2002, 04:15 PM

The 60/40 rule is BS. If they enforced it a team like the Giants who are paying for their own stadium would be totally raped. The idea of enforcing the 60/40 rule, especially the way Selig talked about enforcing it was simply another attempt at gaining leverage in the CBA negotiations.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-07-2002, 08:33 PM
Can a player negotiate away his 10/5 status? I thought the terms of the CBA took precedent over any individual player's contract. For example, all the ballplayers that previously worked at the major league minumum salary automatically get the new increased minumum for 2003.

jortafan
12-07-2002, 08:39 PM
Can a player negotiate away his 10/5 status? I thought the terms of the CBA took precedent over any individual player's contract. For example, all the ballplayers that previously worked at the major league minumum salary automatically get the new increased minumum for 2003.

My understanding of the Thomas contract (which I'll admit took several readings of numerous accounts) is that Frank gets to provide a list of teams he would be willing to accept a trade to. He can ONLY be dealt to those ballclubs, which means Frank still quite a bit of control over any future destinations his playing career would entail. The bottom line, though, is that I hope he winds up finishing here.

Daver
12-07-2002, 08:44 PM

Not that I am aware of,I am still checking on whether his old contract would still be binding under the new CBA,but I don't think it would be,the deferred money would have to paid in two years.