PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte Knights' 2003 roster...

MarkEdward
12-06-2002, 06:57 PM
Kenny still has a lot of work to do to make this AAA team competitive. Look at the positions:

Catcher: Lee Evans is gone, Olivo will be up with the Sox, Dalesandro's gone, Quintero's gone. Will Jon Acevas be the Knights' starter?

1st Base: Battersby, Baughman, and Saunders all sucked last year. No real option in AA.

2nd Base: Aaron Miles probably isn't a major league player, but he should be given the chance in AAA.

Shortstop: Tim Hummell

3rd base: Danny Sandoval, although he's not much

Outfield: Chad Durham and Dave Bikowski should probably play in AAA next year. Juan Piniella played OK at Birmingham, and could make the Charlotte team.

This lineup is without knowing who the free agents that left the team are. I'm not going to cover pitching, but it should be strong.

My conclusion: Need some more power hitters. No catcher, corner infield, or corner outfield depth.

RichH55
12-06-2002, 11:43 PM
Might Valenzula be back in the OF?

guillen4life13
12-06-2002, 11:48 PM
How good is Chad Durham supposed to be? All I know is that he's Ray's brother, but is he someone who has potential to produce in the majors?

Daver or Randar, I think this question is meant for you two.

Daver
12-06-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
How good is Chad Durham supposed to be? All I know is that he's Ray's brother, but is he someone who has potential to produce in the majors?

Daver or Randar, I think this question is meant for you two.

Look at his numbers,they spell career minor leaguer.He has less than average range in the outfeild,and has no speed to think of,and he cannot rely on his bat to push him along.

progers0826
12-08-2002, 07:43 PM
Good call on Triple-A team. It looks like it may be similar to last year's Double-A championship team, in that it will have to be carried by pitching. There will be more signings to come, and Valenzuela was re-signed and should be OK after Tommy John surgery, but the lineup looks thin. The key may be whether the Sox let Borchard get another year there. He could have a monster season if he returns. Hummel should also put up good numbers. But the mother lode of position players will probably be in the South Atlantic League -- Andy Gonzalez at SS, Pedro Lopez at 2B, Micah Schnurstein (maybe) at 3B), Anthony Webster and Australian Thomas Brice in the OF. That's a group to watch.

Vsahajpal
12-08-2002, 09:11 PM
Are you Trib (and ESPN) columnist Phil Rogers?