PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Moyer

Lip Man 1
12-06-2002, 04:46 PM
The Sporting News radio network just reported that Jamie Moyer has told the Mariners, he wants a three year, GUARANTEED deal worth 27 million dollars (Nine million per season)

The story said the Mariners told him they'll offer two years tops so the Phillies are supposedly now at the forefront to get his services.

Somehow I think at nine million per season Moyer has just dropped off the Sox radar screens (if in fact he was ever on it!)

If you are going to give nine million per year, a 40 year old "junkballer" is not the guy to give it to...

Lip

Hullett_Fan
12-06-2002, 05:07 PM
3 years at $27 mill? HA! That's just a little less than Glavine (Hall of Famer) got and I don't think his 3rd year is guaranteed.

I doubt Moyer will end up with a deal like that...but you never know, the Phillies are desparate to make another splash in the FA market (the Sox meanwhile are just desparate).

Our only hope is to get a starter via a trade.

baggio202
12-06-2002, 05:08 PM
did you ever think we even had the slightest possibility of landing moyer???...he is another one..no way in hell we will pay for omar daal...if we get another starter it will be via trade and will look very todd ritchie-esque...i can hardly wait

duke of dorwood
12-06-2002, 05:20 PM
Moyer better read "The Adverntures of Frank Thomas, Secret Free Agent" before he asks for that kind of $

RichH55
12-06-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Moyer better read "The Adverntures of Frank Thomas, Secret Free Agent" before he asks for that kind of $

I think the 3 years is paramount to Moyer anyway....Im guessing the deal he gets winds up averaging out to 6.5-7 million a year

RedPinStripes
12-06-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I think the 3 years is paramount to Moyer anyway....Im guessing the deal he gets winds up averaging out to 6.5-7 million a year

Not here anyway.

:jaime
"I messed up any chances of a well paid pitcher on the south side. Thank you Uncle jerry!"

cornball
12-06-2002, 08:10 PM
I heard Scott Bor"ass" said that Maddux will go to the highest bidder and that he has no prefernce on where he plays.

He went on and said the 3 year, 35 MM that Glavine got will not be enough.

Same approach he used with A-Rod...isnt it

Lip Man 1
12-06-2002, 09:48 PM
Same approach he used with A-Rod isn't it?

Yea and it WORKED to didn't it?

Lip

RichH55
12-06-2002, 11:46 PM
In the ESPN article thats in another thread ...one of the scouts said that he would rather have Moyer than Glavine

WinningUgly!
12-07-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Somehow I think at nine million per season Moyer has just dropped off the Sox radar screens (if in fact he was ever on it!)

If you are going to give nine million per year, a 40 year old "junkballer" is not the guy to give it to...

I could see someone giving a Clemens or Randy Johnson type big money into their early 40's, but any team that is willing to pay Moyer $9 million a year until his 43 is freakin nuts! No thank you.

jeremyb1
12-07-2002, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
3 years at $27 mill? HA! That's just a little less than Glavine (Hall of Famer) got and I don't think his 3rd year is guaranteed.

I doubt Moyer will end up with a deal like that...but you never know, the Phillies are desparate to make another splash in the FA market (the Sox meanwhile are just desparate).

Our only hope is to get a starter via a trade.

i don't feel that's true. come saturday there are going to be a lot of pitchers non-tendered. there are also pitchers with significant upside that will go for much less than 9 million (valdes, traschel, byrd, person, daal, etc.). right now players are still getting a lot of money but that's only because they're the top players on the market. once maddux, floyd, moyer, and a few others are signed there are going to be a lot of good bargains out there.

Daver
12-07-2002, 03:33 PM
Moyer is off the FA market. (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/5989339)

OneDog
12-07-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by daver

You know what that means....Now that Moyer is off the market the Sox can focus on picking up Maddux and Colon. ha ha ha

RichH55
12-07-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by OneDog
You know what that means....Now that Moyer is off the market the Sox can focus on picking up Maddux and Colon. ha ha ha

The dream is over

RichH55
12-07-2002, 04:19 PM

Is there any scuttlebutt to what the actual terms of the deal were?

Daver
12-07-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Is there any scuttlebutt to what the actual terms of the deal were?

From AP

SEATTLE -- The Seattle Mariners have signed left-hander Jamie Moyer to a new three-year contract, the club announced Saturday. Terms were not disclosed.

RichH55
12-07-2002, 06:04 PM
From AP
Yeah I saw that the terms weren't disclosed....but I was hoping there was a leak somewhere

Lip Man 1
12-07-2002, 11:10 PM
As all the starting pitchers sink slowly into the west, the White Sox continue to twiddle their thumbs...

WinningUgly!
12-08-2002, 12:23 AM
As all the starting pitchers sink slowly into the west, the White Sox continue to twiddle their thumbs...

Just curious...

What would you have typed here, if the Sox had just signed Moyer to a 3 year deal? Something positive I'm sure. :D:

RichH55
12-08-2002, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Just curious...

What would you have typed here, if the Sox had just signed Moyer to a 3 year deal? Something positive I'm sure. :D:

LIP : While the Cubs continue to steal the collective PR thunder of the Chicago area with their stunning aquistions of talents like Karros and Sirotka, the Sox finally do something and all they get is a 40 year old arm. Forget his numbers over the last seven years, hes 40, and I bet this is a plot by JR to move Buerhle along claiming we can't afford him. I was talking to my friend Phil Rogers and he said this shows JR's desire to compete. Well I respect Phil, but this is just dead wrong. If this organization really wanted to compete they would double the payroll, make a concerted effort to make PR moves, and force JR out of town. The White Sox will never have a winner while JR is in town <PERIOD> THe sox will just wind up moving Moyer in the next White Flag deal, which failed under Jumbotron Ron's watch. I call him Jumbotron because he is as big as the Cominsky(sic) Jumbotron.

:moron
Don't forget that Frank Thomas won't make the Hall of Fame either....anyone can put up 7 years of Ted Williams numbers

How does that sound? :D:

cornball
12-08-2002, 08:40 AM
Moyer signs 3 year deal to stay with Mariners.

RichH55
12-08-2002, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by cornball
Moyer signs 3 year deal to stay with Mariners.

Already in another thread.....pretty weak contract...Im kind of miffed we missed out on him

Lip Man 1
12-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Rich:

Both you and I agree the Sox need starting pitching. You thought it should go to a 40 year old "junkballer." That's fine.

It's academic now anyway.

If the Sox were going to spend that kind of money (even though you and I know they won't) I think it should go to a guy who can actually throw a baseball and break a pain of glass with it. (Colon)

I don't know why we are even arguing in the first place, the Sox with or without Colon, Moyer, Daal etc aren't going to beat the Twins next year anyway.

One final point, just so you and everyone else is clear on something.

If I was worth a damn in the media to start with, I wouldn't be in Southeast Idaho. (Well that's not totally true, but a great deal of it is...) I mention the folks that I have spoken with on different matters simply so that everyone knows I got some type of confirmation (or do you want to start the HSC debate again?) I don't do it to play a big shot or because I've got a big ego. I greatly admire anybody who is good enough in their job (even Mariotti) to make it in one of the biggest and most compeditive media markets in the nation. Like I said I know I'm not worth a damn, you don't have to point out something I already know about on a far more personal level.

So please don't misinterpet my intentions. They are to help educate and confirm, not to show off.

Lip

RichH55
12-08-2002, 05:58 PM
Rich:

Both you and I agree the Sox need starting pitching. You thought it should go to a 40 year old "junkballer." That's fine.

It's academic now anyway.

If the Sox were going to spend that kind of money (even though you and I know they won't) I think it should go to a guy who can actually throw a baseball and break a pain of glass with it. (Colon)

I don't know why we are even arguing in the first place, the Sox with or without Colon, Moyer, Daal etc aren't going to beat the Twins next year anyway.

One final point, just so you and everyone else is clear on something.

If I was worth a damn in the media to start with, I wouldn't be in Southeast Idaho. (Well that's not totally true, but a great deal of it is...) I mention the folks that I have spoken with on different matters simply so that everyone knows I got some type of confirmation (or do you want to start the HSC debate again?) I don't do it to play a big shot or because I've got a big ego. I greatly admire anybody who is good enough in their job (even Mariotti) to make it in one of the biggest and most compeditive media markets in the nation. Like I said I know I'm not worth a damn, you don't have to point out something I already know about on a far more personal level.

So please don't misinterpet my intentions. They are to help educate and confirm, not to show off.

Lip

Well I appreciate the self-deprication....I didnt think you had a big ego at all...I appreciate the work you do for the site....I think you are overly pessemistic, but not big headed.....Hope I didnt offend you....was just going for a parity