PDA

View Full Version : Remeber Aaron Myette?

Iwritecode
12-06-2002, 01:24 PM
Looks like we'll be seeing him a little more often next year... (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/4679546.htm)

The Rangers, ready to sever ties with Ivan Rodriguez, are close to acquiring catcher Einar Diaz and pitcher Ryan Drese from the Cleveland Indians for first baseman Travis Hafner and pitcher Aaron Myette, major-league officials said Thursday.

The deal could be announced in the next day or two. One source said the two teams are waiting on physicals for the players involved, especially Diaz. The Rangers also need to resolve Rodriguez's situation.

This part makes me wonder, who got the better end of this trade?

The Rangers had high hopes for Myette, who was acquired two years ago from the Chicago White Sox for shortstop Royce Clayton. But Myette has never shown enough control at the big-league level. Myette was 2-5 with a 10.06 ERA, walking 41 and striking out 48 in 48 1/3 innings last season

jeremyb1
12-06-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Looks like we'll be seeing him a little more often next year...

This part makes me wonder, who got the better end of this trade?

interesting. i believe tsn reported the rangers were exciting about myette's prospects coming into this season. i guess we'll see what happens. maybe he'll become an effective reliever for the tribe. i always liked him a lot, he really attacked hitters. he just doesn't seem to have the control at times.

duke of dorwood
12-06-2002, 01:39 PM
48 innings is hard to judge a guy. The damage Clayton did here cost us 2 seasons.

Lip Man 1
12-06-2002, 01:39 PM
Myette was another one of those overblown, overhyped, "can't miss kids" under former GM Ron "Jumbrotron" Schueler who never did squat in the bigs.

Yet Jumbo refused to trade them for pitching help when the Sox knew they were heading towards the playoffs in July 2000. perhaps if he lumped five or six of them together he could have gotten someone to bite. But nooooo, they were going to be the next incarnation of the Braves or the 83 White Sox (LOL)

By the way I call Schueler "Jumbotron Ron." because he's now as big as the old Jumbotron scoreboard in old Comiskey Park.

Uncle Jerry must have had a thing for dumpy fat slobs to represent his teams in public (see Krause, Jerry!)

Lip

kermittheefrog
12-06-2002, 01:58 PM
Texas got the better deal in not having to pay Clayton's salary.

RichH55
12-06-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Myette was another one of those overblown, overhyped, "can't miss kids" under former GM Ron "Jumbrotron" Schueler who never did squat in the bigs.

Yet Jumbo refused to trade them for pitching help when the Sox knew they were heading towards the playoffs in July 2000. perhaps if he lumped five or six of them together he could have gotten someone to bite. But nooooo, they were going to be the next incarnation of the Braves or the 83 White Sox (LOL)

By the way I call Schueler "Jumbotron Ron." because he's now as big as the old Jumbotron scoreboard in old Comiskey Park.

Uncle Jerry must have had a thing for dumpy fat slobs to represent his teams in public (see Krause, Jerry!)

Lip

I think you've explained that jumbotron line like 7 times now....me thinks you need some new material

RichH55
12-06-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Texas got the better deal in not having to pay Clayton's salary.

Losing Clayton is the quintessential example of addition by subtraction...if Myette could throw batting practice, or hell if Myette could spell batting practive then the Rangers won the deal

voodoochile
12-06-2002, 02:37 PM
Why are the Indians willing to part with Diaz? I thought they loved this kid. Who's going to be their catcher if they trade him?

Iwritecode
12-06-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Why are the Indians willing to part with Diaz? I thought they loved this kid. Who's going to be their catcher if they trade him?

Where the heck is Outcast when we need him?!?

Paulwny
12-06-2002, 03:15 PM

The tribe wants Travis Hafner, slugging 1b, to replace Thome.
Texas will need a catcher with I-rod leaving.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1039170995304090.xml

kermittheefrog
12-06-2002, 03:29 PM

The Indians have one of the best catching prospects in baseball, Victor Martinez. I'm assuming he'll take over.

Paulwny
12-06-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
The Indians have one of the best catching prospects in baseball, Victor Martinez. I'm assuming he'll take over.

Another converted ss, aka, Posada

From the Cleve. Plain Dealer

Martinez, the Indians' best hitting prospect, has won batting titles in the Class AA Eastern League and Class A Carolina League in the last two seasons. The converted shortstop hit .336 with 22 homers and 85 RBI at Akron last season.

MarkEdward
12-06-2002, 04:51 PM
John Hart was robbed on this deal. Diaz might have been the worst catcher in the majors last year, and Hart just gave up a 1st baseman who should fill in for Thome nicely and pitcher who might still have a career.

baggio202
12-06-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Losing Clayton is the quintessential example of addition by subtraction...if Myette could throw batting practice, or hell if Myette could spell batting practive then the Rangers won the deal

PRACTIVE"???..did you do that on purpose??..lol...great timing :gulp:

RichH55
12-06-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
PRACTIVE"???..did you do that on purpose??..lol...great timing :gulp:

Lets go with the way that makes me look better :D:

Lip Man 1
12-06-2002, 09:59 PM
I think you've explained that jumbotron line like 7 times now....me thinks you need some new material

Point well taken Rich.

Tell you what... I'll stop using it when you stop telling us how Jamie Moyer is just the guy to solve all the Sox pitching troubles! LOL

Lip

RichH55
12-06-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Point well taken Rich.

Tell you what... I'll stop using it when you stop telling us how Jamie Moyer is just the guy to solve all the Sox pitching troubles! LOL

Lip

Man...then what would I post about:) Once Moyer goes elsewhere then I can stop talking about him...Ron has moved on the greener(and probably greasier) pastures ....let his high cholestrol rest in peace