PDA

View Full Version : stark on munoz


jeremyb1
12-06-2002, 12:05 PM
Winter-ball phenom of the year: 20-year-old White Sox left-hander Arnoldo Munoz (32 IP, 17 H, 63 SO, 9 BB in the Dominican).

"I saw his numbers," said one scout, "and they were like cartoon numbers. But then I saw him, and the guy was unhittable. I don't know where he's been. But he showed an outstanding breaking ball, a Barry Zito-type curveball. He came in there and did it for three innings, too. He was really impressive."

RichH55
12-06-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1



What are his chances of seeing some major league time this year, and what are the odds of that 20 years old being correct?

jeremyb1
12-06-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
What are his chances of seeing some major league time this year, and what are the odds of that 20 years old being correct?

i don't know where munoz would fit into our current pen. we already have two pretty good lefties and sanders coming off of a good season in AA and a great afl season. as far as his age i like to think they've caught most of the discrepencies by now with the increased security after 9-11 but who knows?

hose
12-06-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1


A Barry Zito curveball.....whoa!! Thats about as good as it gets.

60 k's into 30 innings.....Munoz wasn't facing Clayton or Hernandez was he? <G>

SouthSideHitman
12-06-2002, 11:33 PM
Why does every year seem to bring a new Sox southpaw reliever? And more to come soon with Royce Ring and Sanders.

I'd love to see this kid at Comiskey this year if he's that good no matter his age. But it seems to me that Marte and Wuncsh were doing a fine job. Maybe this kid is more valuable as trade bait while the good buzz is still in the air.

guillen4life13
12-07-2002, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
Why does every year seem to bring a new Sox southpaw reliever? And more to come soon with Royce Ring and Sanders.

I'd love to see this kid at Comiskey this year if he's that good no matter his age. But it seems to me that Marte and Wuncsh were doing a fine job. Maybe this kid is more valuable as trade bait while the good buzz is still in the air.

I wouldn't trade him quite yet until we've proven that he won't be of better use to the Sox.

progers0826
12-08-2002, 06:24 PM
Munoz is very likely to pitch for the Sox in the second half of 2003. He could be a real weapon in the bullpen. Think Francisco Rodriguez and you're not far off. It's been surprising to me that the Sox don't push this guy more than they have. He seems like he could be a dynamite starter but they are very happy with him in a middle relief role. As for his age, well, he sure doesn't look a day older than 20. Plus he did avoid having his age upgraded during the 2002 crackdown. He's a very exciting pitcher -- a whole lot better than Marte or Wunsch. He and Marte could be a dynamite combination, kind of like having two young Radinskys.
And Sanders could join them to make it a trio.

Soxheads
12-09-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by progers0826
Munoz is very likely to pitch for the Sox in the second half of 2003. He could be a real weapon in the bullpen. Think Francisco Rodriguez and you're not far off. It's been surprising to me that the Sox don't push this guy more than they have. He seems like he could be a dynamite starter but they are very happy with him in a middle relief role. As for his age, well, he sure doesn't look a day older than 20. Plus he did avoid having his age upgraded during the 2002 crackdown. He's a very exciting pitcher -- a whole lot better than Marte or Wunsch. He and Marte could be a dynamite combination, kind of like having two young Radinskys.
And Sanders could join them to make it a trio.

Or all of this won't happen because this is the White Sox, and we should all know better.