PDA

View Full Version : Sullivan points out an interesting quirk to Frank's contract

cheeses_h_rice
12-06-2002, 12:46 PM
I'd never ever heard of this until today:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-021205sox,0,3612770.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dheadlin es

3. Can the contract revert to its previous terms if Thomas has an All-Star year in 2003?

The Sox had the discretion to invoke the clause after a season in which Thomas was neither an All-Star, among the top 10 in league MVP voting or winner of the Silver Slugger Award, and that's exactly what they did in November. But if Thomas finishes in the top 10 in MVP or wins the Silver Slugger next year, the contract reverts to the previous terms in '04. That also works if Thomas is selected to the American League starting All-Star squad in '03, though not if he's picked as an All-Star reserve. However, if Thomas makes the All-Star team in both '03 and '04, whether as a reserve or starter, the contract reverts to its previous terms. This complexity is what Tellem is talking about.

This is good, IMO. It gives Frank a huge incentive to play like an All-Star again this year.

WinningUgly!
12-06-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I'd never ever heard of this until today:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-021205sox,0,3612770.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dheadlin es

This is good, IMO. It gives Frank a huge incentive to play like an All-Star again this year.

Yes it does...could make for a big season.

kermittheefrog
12-06-2002, 01:59 PM
This contract seems pretty ridiculous.

voodoochile
12-06-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Actually, it seems pretty typical of this organization. Maybe we need a new term: Reinsdiculous.

Denoting anything that JR does that while typical for the Sox (or Bulls for that matter) is unheard of elsewhere in MLB (or the rest of the NBA for that matter)...

RichH55
12-06-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Its not run of the mill, but whats so wrong about it? You play well you get payed more, you play worse then the club can play up its own interests......granted Thomas shouldnt have signed the contract, but its an interesting theory nonetheless

Blueprint1
12-06-2002, 03:42 PM
Sounds like JR got Thomas to sign a contract that was good for JR. The only person that looks bad in signing this thing is Thomas. Boy you guys will do anything to say something bad about JR. I think his ownership could be alot better but this is one time where he isnt the person that looks bad. If i had a team i would love to have players that got payed based upon how they played.

jortafan
12-06-2002, 03:43 PM
The contract makes sense if you view it as protection for the White Sox in the event Frank suffers a career ending injury, and they wouldn't want to have to pay him for the remaining years, or do the various contortions of the roster that the Orioles had to do in order to avoid getting hit with Albert Belle's final paydays.

rmusacch
12-06-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Actually, it seems pretty typical of this organization. Maybe we need a new term: Reinsdiculous.

Denoting anything that JR does that while typical for the Sox (or Bulls for that matter) is unheard of elsewhere in MLB (or the rest of the NBA for that matter)...

It took two to tango on this contract. No one held a gun to Frank's head telling him to sign this contract. Apparently, Michael Jordan had a dimished skills clause in his last couple contracts for the Bulls and that is what caused Frank to be agreeable to this. The thing I do not understand is that it will revert back to the old terms if he makes the All Star game as a starter and not a reserve. Making the All Star game as a reserve usually says that you are having better years than as a starter, since the voting is a popularity contest.

Iwritecode
12-06-2002, 04:18 PM
I can almost understand why FT choose to sign this contract. When he did he was having monster years and figured that he would still be by the time the contract expired. I guess he figured that if he ever did have a drop-off in production, then he would be paid accordingly. I don't think he expected a season-ending injury such as he suffered last year and a drop-off as big as the one that he has had. Even last year he has shown signs of returning to his former self so I have no doubt that he would have put up "Frank Thomas" numbers the past two years had he not been injured.

Given this new found information, I think Thomas and JR should agree to having 5 million deferred (which is the number I've seen most circulated) and not worry about restructering his contract at all. He was already having almost 4 million deferred anyway so it's not a big loss. Then if he comes back strong next year, he knows that the "clause" won't be in effect for at least that year.

chisox06
12-06-2002, 04:26 PM
Does 12:00 Ct 12/7 mean tonight or tomorrow night?

cheeses_h_rice
12-06-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Does 12:00 Ct 12/7 mean tonight or tomorrow night?

From what I've read, it's midnight tomorrow (Saturday) night.

So, another 33 hours or so.