PDA

View Full Version : From Jason Stark Rumbling and Grumblings

Dadawg_77
12-06-2002, 09:54 AM
Winter-ball phenom of the year: 20-year-old White Sox left-hander Arnoldo Munoz (32 IP, 17 H, 63 SO, 9 BB in the Dominican).

"I saw his numbers," said one scout, "and they were like cartoon numbers. But then I saw him, and the guy was unhittable. I don't know where he's been. But he showed an outstanding breaking ball, a Barry Zito-type curveball. He came in there and did it for three innings, too. He was really impressive."

Does anyone have any other info on this kid?

cheeses_h_rice
12-06-2002, 10:03 AM
I guess that his 2 Ks for every 1 IP ratio is pretty good...

NUCatsFan
12-06-2002, 11:19 AM
Looks like he'll make some good trade bait.

:KW
"I may have to throw in some more money, though"

NC_sox_fan
12-06-2002, 12:17 PM
I saw Munoz in Kannapolis last year and with the Barons this past season. Not only is he unhittable, but he has remarkable composure for such a young guy. If the Sox trade him then we'll KNOW for SURE that they truly don't want to win. Giving up Joe Valentine in the recent trade to Oakland was a good example of this philosophy. Makes me so angry to see these great young arms develop, only to be traded away time after time.

duke of dorwood
12-06-2002, 12:42 PM
:reinsy

Its you Kannapolis fans that dont go to games fault too

Lip Man 1
12-06-2002, 12:48 PM
Makes me so angry to see these great young arms develop, only to be traded away time after time.

Yea I can remember them too.......

Scott Ruffcorn, Tom Bolton, Aaron Myette, Brian Drahman, Jeff Carter, Brian Keyser, Scott Eyre, John Snyder..... (LOL) they did WONDERS in the majors!

Seriously I read someplace where only ONE out of every TEN minor league players EVER get to the bigs and make an impact.

That's where your organization comes in, the good ones have a sense of who that one player's going to be, the bad ones (like the Sox) don't and rely more on "luck" (see Mark Buehrle) and hope to try to win.

Personally if I know quality pitchers are available on the market, guys who have shown that they can get MLB hitters out, I'll trade every "can't miss kid" in the world to get them. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

My philosophy is the here and now, not what MAY happen in the future. (and if I'm wrong and certainly there are times when I would be, I'd trade the next batch of drafted kids to correct for it and on and on and on...)

Lip

Lip Man 1
12-06-2002, 12:50 PM
Also did you see where Stark said the Phillies were now pushing hard for Jamie Moyer?

I bet RicH is going bananas over that! (LOL)

Lip

RichH55
12-06-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Makes me so angry to see these great young arms develop, only to be traded away time after time.

Yea I can remember them too.......

Scott Ruffcorn, Tom Bolton, Aaron Myette, Brian Drahman, Jeff Carter, Brian Keyser, Scott Eyre, John Snyder..... (LOL) they did WONDERS in the majors!

Seriously I read someplace where only ONE out of every TEN minor league players EVER get to the bigs and make an impact.

That's where your organization comes in, the good ones have a sense of who that one player's going to be, the bad ones (like the Sox) don't and rely more on "luck" (see Mark Buehrle) and hope to try to win.

Personally if I know quality pitchers are available on the market, guys who have shown that they can get MLB hitters out, I'll trade every "can't miss kid" in the world to get them. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

My philosophy is the here and now, not what MAY happen in the future. (and if I'm wrong and certainly there are times when I would be, I'd trade the next batch of drafted kids to correct for it and on and on and on...)

Lip

It doesnt happen too often, but I agree wholeheartedly with Lip.......I have been saying that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush in regards to pitchers for awhile now......Strike while the iron is hot....If a kid arm gets you Colon, you do it

HawkDJ
12-06-2002, 04:37 PM
From the same article...

You can find many opinions on which closer you would rather have out of that A's-White Sox deal -- Billy Koch or Keith Foulke. But the ultimate key to which team makes out better could be Joe Valentine, whom the A's view as a potential closer of the future.

"He's got a chance to be a dominating guy, a Kyle Farnsworth-type guy, but he's got to throw more strikes," said one scout. "He's got an outstanding arm, and he's definitely not afraid. But he's still a bit away from the big leagues for me, command-wise. And he doesn't have a great feel for the mound yet. In a perfect world, I'd start him at Double-A, then bump him to Triple-A in a couple of months. But I'm sure he'll go to (Triple-A) Sacramento, so they can try to run him up there (to Oakland) as soon as possible."