PDA

View Full Version : Expos will cut payroll

Paulwny
12-06-2002, 10:17 AM
The Montreal Expos have concluded they will have to shed some payroll in 2003 to keep to the budget given them by the commissioner's office.

Expos general manager Omar Minaya began calling other GMs Thursday, telling them to think about proposals to bring to the winter meetings, which start Dec. 13 in Nashville, Tenn.

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam021205/mlb_mtl-ap.html

WinningUgly!
12-06-2002, 02:16 PM
Jose Vidro's increases from $4 million to $5.5 million

I'd love to see Vidro at the top of our order. I'm all for Jimenez being in the lineup everyday, I'm just not sold on his ability to be a leadoff hitter over the course of an entire season. Vidro is easily the most under-rated player in MLB.

RichH55
12-06-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I'd love to see Vidro at the top of our order. I'm all for Jimenez being in the lineup everyday, I'm just not sold on his ability to be a leadoff hitter over the course of an entire season. Vidro is easily the most under-rated player in MLB.

Another good thought.....Montreal flat out has a ton of talent, and I dont think their GM is a genius either....I want KW living in the Montreal suite(or since its MLB)..Montreals Coatroom until the end of winter meetings

fuzzy_patters
12-06-2002, 02:59 PM
Yeah, Montreal's GM isn't a genuis. So, Uncle Jerry should offer them KW for Vidro. :)

Bobby Thigpen
12-06-2002, 07:49 PM
How much do you think Guerrero would cost? I'm sure Jerry and Kenny would be willing to pay it.
I think an outfield of Maggs, Vlad, and Borchard would look spectacular. I can dream can't I?

cornball
12-06-2002, 08:21 PM
Interesting enough the Angels were given the approval by Disney to increase thier payroll 22MM for this season per Dan Patrick today....of ESPN radio (also a Disney owned operation).

The Expos are looking for position players more so that pitching in return for trade. Their system is filled with pitching prospects.

Wish we could match up with them...for a Vidro and Colon.

Lip Man 1
12-06-2002, 09:45 PM
Yea the new CBA is really going to restore "compeditive balance" in the game isn't it?

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

The Expos are cutting payroll...the Royals are getting 20 MILLION in revenue sharing money and they are CUTTING payroll...and Ken Rosenthal writes in this week's The Sporting News that the Reds even with a NEW ballpark are cutting payroll because (get this) the new park will generate so much additional revenue that they won't be able to get anymore revenue sharing money!

Is that screwy or what?????

Lip

ma-gaga
12-06-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by cornball Wish we could match up with them...for a Vidro and Colon.

So do 28 other teams. I'm amazed at the lowball offers that teams think they can get by with. The Cubs rumors are offensive.