PDA

View Full Version : My main reason for disliking this trade

gogosoxgogo
12-05-2002, 05:04 PM
It does very little to help our team. Although not the best, our bullpen is manageabul. We're still in need of a centerfielder, a catcher, and a whole lot of starting pitching. I just wish that KW and the Sox would make a bold move once in a while. I'd love to see them pursue Maddux, who not only would be a great team leader, but one hell of a pitcher, both of which we need. In trades, I'd like the pursuit of Colon, although I'm not necessarily sure I want KW to be at the helm.

Dan H
12-05-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
It does very little to help our team. Although not the best, our bullpen is manageabul. We're still in need of a centerfielder, a catcher, and a whole lot of starting pitching. I just wish that KW and the Sox would make a bold move once in a while. I'd love to see them pursue Maddux, who not only would be a great team leader, but one hell of a pitcher, both of which we need. In trades, I'd like the pursuit of Colon, although I'm not necessarily sure I want KW to be at the helm.

I like this trade, but I agree with you that the Sox have to do more. I don't have the faith many of the others who have posted have in this team. The starting pitching is still a question mark, and if nothing else is done, the Sox will not win 90 next year. I would love to see Maddux in a Sox uniform, but I don't think that is going to happen.

gogosoxgogo
12-05-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
I like this trade, but I agree with you that the Sox have to do more. I don't have the faith many of the others who have posted have in this team. The starting pitching is still a question mark, and if nothing else is done, the Sox will not win 90 next year. I would love to see Maddux in a Sox uniform, but I don't think that is going to happen.

I know they won't. We're going to end up with someone like Shawn Estes and KW praising how he's the next Cy Young. I'm just saying that I'd love to see a bold move once in a while, and something like that to happen, instead of going after washed up veterans who aren't good now and who were never any good to begin with.

MarkEdward
12-05-2002, 06:45 PM
I'm just saying that I'd love to see a bold move once in a while, and something like that to happen, instead of going after washed up veterans who aren't good now and who were never any good to begin with.

I'd call the Foulke trade a pretty bold move, considering we gave up the best reliever in the league for someone who was below league average just two years ago.

I'd also call the Todd Ritchie trade bold because we traded two young, quality pitchers for a pitcher who *might* have put up league average numbers.

I'd also call the Mike Sirotka trade bold, considering we traded our ace from a Division winning team for a pitcher with past injury troubles.

Williams has made bold trades, but most of them are just stupid.

RichH55
12-05-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I'd call the Foulke trade a pretty bold move, considering we gave up the best reliever in the league for someone who was below league average just two years ago.

I'd also call the Todd Ritchie trade bold because we traded two young, quality pitchers for a pitcher who *might* have put up league average numbers.

I'd also call the Mike Sirotka trade bold, considering we traded our ace from a Division winning team for a pitcher with past injury troubles.

Williams has made bold trades, but most of them are just stupid.

Good points....hell Clayton was a bold move.....I think smart moves is what we are looking for:)

jeremyb1
12-05-2002, 07:27 PM

see i can understand those saying they'd like an upgrade at cf i suppose but acting as though we don't have any viable options seems absurd to me. rowand has played solid ball over the last two years when he's been given regular playing time and harris is a legitimate prospect. neither will be a star but i think we can have solid production from centerfield with what we have now.

as for catcher there are only a few catchers that would really make a huge impact compared to what we have now and they're most likely not going to come here. all we really need is a veteran backup and that won't be difficult or require a blockbuster trade. there are a number of competant veteran catchers we can sign for around a million a season if that.