PDA

View Full Version : Ventura signs

Daver
12-05-2002, 06:03 PM
Guess the Yankees don't have much faith in Drew Henson. (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=mlb/news/AAN2343518.htm)

RedPinStripes
12-05-2002, 06:08 PM
wonder which team he will go into HOF with? Better not be the YankMees. It sucks thathe's with the yankess because i'd like to see Robin get a ring, but i hate the Yankees! :angry:

RedPinStripes
12-05-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by daver
Guess the Yankees don't have much faith in Drew Henson. (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=mlb/news/AAN2343518.htm)

Why do i think Henson will be in the NFL in 2005 at the latest?

Daver
12-05-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
wonder which team he will go into HOF with? Better not be the YankMees. It sucks thathe's with the yankess because i'd like to see Robin get a ring, but i hate the Yankees! :angry:

Robin going to Cooperstown?

Thats a pretty big assumption.

voodoochile
12-05-2002, 06:18 PM

If he hadn't snapped his leg just above the ankle, he might have had a HOF career, but that injury devasted him and he has never been the same all around player he was prior to the injury...

RedPinStripes
12-05-2002, 06:28 PM

All time leader for Grand slams and he has at least 5 gold gloves. His careeer average is the only thing that might hurt him.

RKMeibalane
12-05-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If he hadn't snapped his leg just above the ankle, he might have had a HOF career, but that injury devasted him and he has never been the same all around player he was prior to the injury...

Speaking of HOF discussions, did anybody see "Around the Horn" this afternoon? Mariotti made an ass of himself again. When asked if he thought Tom Glavine and Jim Thome were HOF calliber players, he said, "Glavine (is a HOFer) as we speak. Thome will be. And by the way, Frank Thomas won't."

Now, I don't have a problem with the fact that Mariotti dislikes Thomas. He is entitled to his own opinion. What bothers me is that he takes every opportunity to badmouth Thomas and criticize him. He is extremely predictable. And people wonder why we hate him so much.

voodoochile
12-05-2002, 06:30 PM
All time leader for Grand slams and he has at least 5 gold gloves. His careeer average is the only thing that might hurt him.

When did he pass Gherig and how many does he have?

RedPinStripes
12-05-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
When did he pass Gherig and how many does he have?

I could look it up. I know he passed up Babe Ruth and i'm pretty sure it was for total grand slams. Or was it in a season that i'm getting it mixed up with?

RedPinStripes
12-05-2002, 06:35 PM
My bad. He passed ruth up, but ruth wasnt the leader.

... ROBIN VENTURA, ... 29, 2002 Ventura hit the 16th grand slam of his career in the Yankees ... Babe
Ruth, Hank Aaron and Dave Kingman for sixth all-time in grand slams. ...
Description: Profile and statistics.

gogosoxgogo
12-05-2002, 06:35 PM

...I don't think he ever passed up Gherig, I'm pretty sure he passed Ruth, but not Gherig

Ventura23Fan
12-05-2002, 06:59 PM

I agree. As much as I like Robin, I don't see it happening, at least where the bar is currently set. Some recent HOF third basemen: Mathews (500+ HR), B. Robinson (16 GG), Schmidt (500+ HR, 10 GG), Brett (3000+ H).

The sCrUB fans have been whining for years that Santo should be in. I don't feel that strongly one way or the other about him. With a few more decent seasons, Robin could surpass alot of Santo's numbers. I'm not sure how much more Robin has left though.

rmusacch
12-05-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Speaking of HOF discussions, did anybody see "Around the Horn" this afternoon? Mariotti made an ass of himself again. When asked if he thought Tom Glavine and Jim Thome were HOF calliber players, he said, "Glavine (is a HOFer) as we speak. Thome will be. And by the way, Frank Thomas won't."

Now, I don't have a problem with the fact that Mariotti dislikes Thomas. He is entitled to his own opinion. What bothers me is that he takes every opportunity to badmouth Thomas and criticize him. He is extremely predictable. And people wonder why we hate him so much.

What time is Around the Horn on? Do they replay it so those of us that work can see it? That does sound like a dick move, when Frank was not even brought up.

Jerry_Manuel
12-05-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
What time is Around the Horn on? Do they replay it so those of us that work can see it? That does sound like a dick move, when Frank was not even brought up.

It's on at 4PM CST on ESPN.

Check local listings for replay times.

RichH55
12-05-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

I think Mariotti might actually be bc1k

RichH55
12-05-2002, 07:56 PM
My bad. He passed ruth up, but ruth wasnt the leader.

... ROBIN VENTURA, ... 29, 2002 Ventura hit the 16th grand slam of his career in the Yankees ... Babe
Ruth, Hank Aaron and Dave Kingman for sixth all-time in grand slams. ...
Description: Profile and statistics.

Either way it doesnt matter.....Career leader for Grand Slams is not the ticket to the Hall of Fame...sure its nice to have, but not really that worthwhile

RedPinStripes
12-05-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Either way it doesnt matter.....Career leader for Grand Slams is not the ticket to the Hall of Fame...sure its nice to have, but not really that worthwhile

IF he were to break the record for grand slams lifetime, i think there would be room for him in the HOF for sure.

awesomefan
12-05-2002, 09:59 PM
MIKE: Maybe you got mixed up because maybe Robin was or is the Grand Slam Leader for players that are currrently playing?

bc2k
12-06-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
I think Mariotti might actually be bc1k

That hilarious. I mean it. That's pretty good. :gulp:
But I don't like the comparison to
:moron
bc2k, what's not to like?

cwsgrl17
12-06-2002, 09:42 AM
it was the best news i heard in a long time. ventura is one of my all time favorites. he is a class act and he proved it with the contract this year...taking a pay cut and all that. he is one of the better 3rd basemen in the majors and the best bases loaded batter i have ever since. that alone is good enough to get him to copperstown. right?

RichH55
12-06-2002, 02:29 PM
IF he were to break the record for grand slams lifetime, i think there would be room for him in the HOF for sure.

What? Grand Slams lifetime is essentially a freak stat....Its not like Wins or HRs(something that you basically have a chance at every time out)...its basically a ton luck and not that important...why it would be a prominent part of a Hall of Fame discussion is beyond me.

Marris didnt get into the Hall holding a pretty significant(by media and baseball standards) record....I dont know why Ventura would get in based on a far inferior record