PDA

View Full Version : Stealing from the Angels?

RichH55
12-05-2002, 04:43 AM
Seems to be the theme of Padilla's article.,.....strong bullpen to supplement less than strong starters
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug05.html

duke of dorwood
12-05-2002, 08:14 AM
We won that way in 2000.

kermittheefrog
12-05-2002, 02:43 PM
I'd sure like it if Kenny Williams stopped acquiring players based on their heart and desire and started acquiring players based on how well they play baseball.

doublem23
12-05-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I'd sure like it if Kenny Williams stopped acquiring players based on their heart and desire and started acquiring players based on how well they play baseball.

That makes too much sense.

Iwritecode
12-05-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Shh...! You'll ruin PHG's dream of playing for the Sox... (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=135267#post135267)

:)

bc2k
12-05-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Seems to be the theme of Padilla's article.,.....strong bullpen to supplement less than strong starters
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug05.html

Phil Rogers wrote on the same topic in today's Tribune. He mentioned how Colon, Maddux or Jamie Moyer would be nice, but even if KW can add only Jeff Suppan or Kenny Rogers or Ismael Valdes, he will have done a good thing.

The column also said how Williams is one arm away from giving Manuel four pitchers coming off 30-plus starts and 190-plus innings. Anaheim was the only major-league team that entered 2002 with five such creatures.

So we've got three horses in Buehrle, Wright, and JGar. I now would rather the Sox agree to arbitration with Ritchie (another horse) as opposed to signing a second tier pitcher. Rauch, after the way he ended last season can take the #5 spot.

I like that the Sox and KW have a plan for 2003. Their plan of playing a short game with their bullpen may work. Which is why I would now like to see Parque signed also and given a chance to see if he can become another "weapon" in our bullpen. If he doesn't work out, I'm sure the Cubs would trade for him. We could use help in the catcher position. Parque and Josh Paul for Miller? Parque for Zambrano?

RichH55
12-05-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Phil Rogers wrote on the same topic in today's Tribune. He mentioned how Colon, Maddux or Jamie Moyer would be nice, but even if KW can add only Jeff Suppan or Kenny Rogers or Ismael Valdes, he will have done a good thing.

The column also said how Williams is one arm away from giving Manuel four pitchers coming off 30-plus starts and 190-plus innings. Anaheim was the only major-league team that entered 2002 with five such creatures.

So we've got three horses in Buehrle, Wright, and JGar. I now would rather the Sox agree to arbitration with Ritchie (another horse) as opposed to signing a second tier pitcher. Rauch, after the way he ended last season can take the #5 spot.

I like that the Sox and KW have a plan for 2003. Their plan of playing a short game with their bullpen may work. Which is why I would now like to see Parque signed also and given a chance to see if he can become another "weapon" in our bullpen. If he doesn't work out, I'm sure the Cubs would trade for him. We could use help in the catcher position. Parque and Josh Paul for Miller? Parque for Zambrano?

I agree on the Ritchie assessment, but Im not willing to rule out Moyer yet

jeremyb1
12-05-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I agree on the Ritchie assessment, but Im not willing to rule out Moyer yet

i might rather have valdes than ritchie but i wouldn't have a problem with ritchie in the rotation as long as we don't give him a ton of leeway. i think the bottom line is we need to feel out all our options, which will become much easier once players begin to be nontendered over the next few days, and then we need to have a plan. there's no point in signing a ritchie or maybe even a valdes only to have them take the spot for rauch/biddle. kw has been very wise about saying that there's no reason in adding a pitcher just to add a pitcher when we have such good young talent.

RichH55
12-05-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i might rather have valdes than ritchie but i wouldn't have a problem with ritchie in the rotation as long as we don't give him a ton of leeway. i think the bottom line is we need to feel out all our options, which will become much easier once players begin to be nontendered over the next few days, and then we need to have a plan. there's no point in signing a ritchie or maybe even a valdes only to have them take the spot for rauch/biddle. kw has been very wise about saying that there's no reason in adding a pitcher just to add a pitcher when we have such good young talent.

I agree....all signs would point to a Colon/Moyer type or nothing...and that I'm fine with........Would really like to get a Colon/Moyer type though

MarkEdward
12-05-2002, 06:34 PM
Fow what it's worth, the Angels' starting rotation was fifth best in the majors last year (by Prospectus' standards), so it's not like the bullpen was carrying the staff...