PDA

View Full Version : the stupidity of local columnists


jeremyb1
12-04-2002, 06:27 PM
all four local newspapers today (trib, suntimes, southtown, daily herald) ran lead columns prasing the cubs tentative deal with the dodgers. not one of these columns demonstrated even the slightest understanding of the financial aspects of these deals. none of the four columns even correctly referenced the financial ramifications of the deal, that each team is taking on the same amount of money only over a different time period. not one.

even more ridiculous is the fact that at least two of the columns mentioned the possibility of the cubs dealing one or both of the two players they acquired to free up payroll. how is it possible not to understand that these two contracts are every bit as hard to move as hundley's and that the only contract you could really trade them for belongs to todd hundley. is it that difficult to realize that if dan evans could've dumped 15.5 million dollars in salary or even a fraction of it he would've done so?

the award for worst column (which really says something here) goes to rick morrisey in the tribune for actually suggesting that maybe the cubs could move hill, zambrano, karros, and grundzielenek for vazquez and vidro. now, i don't think the expos would even consider dealing vidro and vazquez for hill and zambrano but if they did it would be because they need to cut salary. otherwise they wouldn't move those two players at all. if the expos were to also take on 15.5 million in salary, they would trade two of their better players in vidro and vazquez AND increase their payroll by at least 5-7 million!!! mariotti on the other hand incorectly stated in his column (at least in the online version) that foulke is owed 16 million over the next two seasons. how can you write things like this in a major newspaper and keep your job?!?!

RichH55
12-04-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
all four local newspapers today (trib, suntimes, southtown, daily herald) ran lead columns prasing the cubs tentative deal with the dodgers. not one of these columns demonstrated even the slightest understanding of the financial aspects of these deals. none of the four columns even correctly referenced the financial ramifications of the deal, that each team is taking on the same amount of money only over a different time period. not one.

even more ridiculous is the fact that at least two of the columns mentioned the possibility of the cubs dealing one or both of the two players they acquired to free up payroll. how is it possible not to understand that these two contracts are every bit as hard to move as hundley's and that the only contract you could really trade them for belongs to todd hundley. is it that difficult to realize that if dan evans could've dumped 15.5 million dollars in salary or even a fraction of it he would've done so?

the award for worst column (which really says something here) goes to rick morrisey in the tribune for actually suggesting that maybe the cubs could move hill, zambrano, karros, and grundzielenek for vazquez and vidro. now, i don't think the expos would even consider dealing vidro and vazquez for hill and zambrano but if they did it would be because they need to cut salary. otherwise they wouldn't move those two players at all. if the expos were to also take on 15.5 million in salary, they would trade two of their better players in vidro and vazquez AND increase their payroll by at least 5-7 million!!! mariotti on the other hand incorectly stated in his column (at least in the online version) that foulke is owed 16 million over the next two seasons. how can you write things like this in a major newspaper and keep your job?!?!

Lowered expectations?

guillen4life13
12-04-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
all four local newspapers today (trib, suntimes, southtown, daily herald) ran lead columns prasing the cubs tentative deal with the dodgers. not one of these columns demonstrated even the slightest understanding of the financial aspects of these deals. none of the four columns even correctly referenced the financial ramifications of the deal, that each team is taking on the same amount of money only over a different time period. not one.

even more ridiculous is the fact that at least two of the columns mentioned the possibility of the cubs dealing one or both of the two players they acquired to free up payroll. how is it possible not to understand that these two contracts are every bit as hard to move as hundley's and that the only contract you could really trade them for belongs to todd hundley. is it that difficult to realize that if dan evans could've dumped 15.5 million dollars in salary or even a fraction of it he would've done so?

the award for worst column (which really says something here) goes to rick morrisey in the tribune for actually suggesting that maybe the cubs could move hill, zambrano, karros, and grundzielenek for vazquez and vidro. now, i don't think the expos would even consider dealing vidro and vazquez for hill and zambrano but if they did it would be because they need to cut salary. otherwise they wouldn't move those two players at all. if the expos were to also take on 15.5 million in salary, they would trade two of their better players in vidro and vazquez AND increase their payroll by at least 5-7 million!!! mariotti on the other hand incorectly stated in his column (at least in the online version) that foulke is owed 16 million over the next two seasons. how can you write things like this in a major newspaper and keep your job?!?!

it actually seems impossible, but Jay Mariotti had some good points (yes, I still have a sincere dislike for Moronotti, but he made some points that we've been making on these boards).

here's the link Mariotti on Trades (http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay04.html)

Daver
12-04-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Lowered expectations?

I'm glad someone bothered to read that,I know I wasn't going to wade through a couple chunks of nothing but letters.

Maybe one day jeremy will read this. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15821)

RichH55
12-04-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by daver
I'm glad someone bothered to read that,I know I wasn't going to wade through a couple chunks of nothing but letters.

Maybe one day jeremy will read this. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15821)


I know his style Daver....I've been guilty of it quite a bit....Jeremy tends to make good points, so I make the effort

bc2k
12-04-2002, 07:22 PM
Morrissey is a terrible columnist. Steve Rosenbloom should still have that front page section of the Sports section.

Does anyone remember that black columnist from Philadelphia who briefly wrote for the Tribune splitting days with Morrissey? He was a fantastic writer who hadn't succumbed to the pro-wrigley/anti-Sox bias. Unfortunately his stay in Chicago was short lived with his last column using some transparent post 9-11-01 excuse to move back to Phily with his family. He was the only Chicago sports writer that I enjoyed reading and of course the Trib found a way to let him leave. It's bugging me that I can't think of his name. First name Michael? Last name starts with an H? Anyone else remember him?

Viva Magglio
12-04-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Morrissey is a terrible columnist. Steve Rosenbloom should still have that front page section of the Sports section.

Does anyone remember that black columnist from Philadelphia who briefly wrote for the Tribune splitting days with Morrissey? He was a fantastic writer who hadn't succumbed to the pro-wrigley/anti-Sox bias. Unfortunately his stay in Chicago was short lived with his last column using some transparent post 9-11-01 excuse to move back to Phily with his family. He was the only Chicago sports writer that I enjoyed reading and of course the Trib found a way to let him leave. It's bugging me that I can't think of his name. First name Michael? Last name starts with an H? Anyone else remember him?

Michael Holley.

cheeses_h_rice
12-04-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Morrissey is a terrible columnist. Steve Rosenbloom should still have that front page section of the Sports section.

Does anyone remember that black columnist from Philadelphia who briefly wrote for the Tribune splitting days with Morrissey? He was a fantastic writer who hadn't succumbed to the pro-wrigley/anti-Sox bias. Unfortunately his stay in Chicago was short lived with his last column using some transparent post 9-11-01 excuse to move back to Phily with his family. He was the only Chicago sports writer that I enjoyed reading and of course the Trib found a way to let him leave. It's bugging me that I can't think of his name. First name Michael? Last name starts with an H? Anyone else remember him?

Michael Holly. I think he was from Boston. IMO, his writing was pretty bland, but I guess compared to the likes of the Moron...

jeremyb1
12-04-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I know his style Daver....I've been guilty of it quite a bit....Jeremy tends to make good points, so I make the effort

thank you. i appretiate that.

jeremyb1
12-04-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by daver
I'm glad someone bothered to read that,I know I wasn't going to wade through a couple chunks of nothing but letters.

Maybe one day jeremy will read this. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15821)

i'm sorry if you couldn't read it. i didn't know the title of the post had been changed and i don't read the other forums so i didn't see it but i just responded.

voodoochile
12-04-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i'm sorry if you couldn't read it. i didn't know the title of the post had been changed and i don't read the other forums so i didn't see it but i just responded.

It didn't change, I seperated it so people who want to read about baseball wouldn't have to wade through all the posts about typing skills. That topic is more suited for the Parking Lot, so I moved it in addition to seperating it - actually splitting is the technical Internet saavy term... :D:

baggio202
12-04-2002, 11:31 PM
jeremy and i are charter members in the refuse to use shift key club...and darn proud of it :gulp:

RichH55
12-05-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
jeremy and i are charter members in the refuse to use shift key club...and darn proud of it :gulp:


Better than the Chris Singleton and Mike Caruso hollow .300 club

baggio202
12-05-2002, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Better than the Chris Singleton and Mike Caruso hollow .300 club

amen!!

jeremyb1
12-05-2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
It didn't change, I seperated it so people who want to read about baseball wouldn't have to wade through all the posts about typing skills. That topic is more suited for the Parking Lot, so I moved it in addition to seperating it - actually splitting is the technical Internet saavy term... :D:

yeah it makes sense to move it there. i just didn't think of looking for it there.

jeremyb1
12-05-2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
jeremy and i are charter members in the refuse to use shift key club...and darn proud of it :gulp:

haha. hell yes baggs.

Dadawg_77
12-05-2002, 09:17 AM
Great, first is was Smilies vs Anit-Smilies, the battle of acronyms fan clubs, FOC, FOB, FOV and such and now it is Shift Keyers with small cappers. (Mick Jagger Voice) Brothers and Sisters, why are we fighting?

cheeses_h_rice
12-05-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Great, first is was Smilies vs Anit-Smilies, the battle of acronyms fan clubs, FOC, FOB, FOV and such and now it is Shift Keyers with small cappers. (Mick Jagger Voice) Brothers and Sisters, why are we fighting?

I'll take a guess....offseason boredom?