PDA

View Full Version : Neal Cotts

CHISOXFAN13
12-04-2002, 09:32 AM
I've heard from a relaiable source that one of the players to be named will be pitcher Neal Cotts. Cotts, who played his college ball at Illinois State, struck out 193 hitters in 138 innings in high A ball last year.

CHISOXFAN13
12-04-2002, 09:34 AM
Sorry about the mistake in numbers, but Cotts only fanned 178 hitters. My fault.

HawkDJ
12-04-2002, 10:46 AM
Is your source baseball america?

CHISOXFAN13
12-04-2002, 02:34 PM
Actually it was from someone within the Illinois State athletic department, and obviously others have been able to get the news it is him.

chisoxfanatic
12-04-2002, 09:59 PM
As a junior here at Illinois State University, I had the opportunity to watch Neal Cotts pitch during my freshman year. From what I saw, he had a commanding off-speed change up, and a great curveball. He isn't known for velocity, but he certainly is a good location pitcher, which allows him to successfully strike out about 1.5 batters an inning. Oakland picked him up after his junior year at ISU as their SECOND round draft pick in 2001. He's no doubt a good pitcher.

kermittheefrog
12-05-2002, 02:04 AM
According to what I've read about him he throws three pitches, fastball, curve, change and his fastball is the outpitch. He only throws in the upper 80's but the fastball has crazy slider type movement. He walked a lot of batters, so it seems he has trouble controlling his pitches.

RichH55
12-05-2002, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
According to what I've read about him he throws three pitches, fastball, curve, change and his fastball is the outpitch. He only throws in the upper 80's but the fastball has crazy slider type movement. He walked a lot of batters, so it seems he has trouble controlling his pitches.

Hes a youngster with upside who isnt the finished product....sounds like just about every other minor league pitcher ive heard of......still it cant hurt to have more quality arms in the system....Kermit can I ask you this: Do you like Neal Cotts or Joe Valentine more?

kermittheefrog
12-05-2002, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Hes a youngster with upside who isnt the finished product....sounds like just about every other minor league pitcher ive heard of......still it cant hurt to have more quality arms in the system....Kermit can I ask you this: Do you like Neal Cotts or Joe Valentine more?

There's no such thing as a pitching prospect.

RichH55
12-05-2002, 02:33 AM

I don't think I ever said pitching prospect:) I read Baseball Prospectus as well my friend.....but having more arms in the system is a good thing..that was my main point and then I asked if you would pick one or the other

chisoxfanatic
12-05-2002, 03:13 AM
For more information on Neal Cotts, you can read this (http://www.soxnet.net/marsala/article-12.5.html) article.

rmusacch
12-05-2002, 08:43 AM

What does that mean Andrew?

kermittheefrog
12-05-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I don't think I ever said pitching prospect:) I read Baseball Prospectus as well my friend.....but having more arms in the system is a good thing..that was my main point and then I asked if you would pick one or the other

I'd rather have Cotts, at least he's a starter.

kermittheefrog
12-05-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
What does that mean Andrew?

There are two major problems with evaluating pitching prospects.

The biggest one is that they get injured very easily. (See Jon Rauch, Ryan Anderson)

The second one is their statistics don't translate effectively into major league stats. A minor league batters statistics can be translated into a major league equavilent with extremely high accuracy. In fact minor league batting stats are as useful as major league batting stats in predicting future performance. For example Arod dominated in the minors, Arod is a dominant force in the majors.

Minor league pitching numbers aren't nearly as effective. Some pitchers with great minor league numbers perform well, some don't. Some perform well in the minors and perform well beyond that in the majors. For example Pedro Martinez had good but unspectacular numbers in the minors. All we really know is pitchers that suck in the minors tend to either not make it to the majors or suck in the majors.

It's relatively easy to spot a future star hitter in the minors. Meanwhile on the pitching side, Tim Hudson was a C-level prospect while he was in the minors.

This is why there is no such thing as a pitching prospect. Pitching prospects are unpredictable.

RichH55
12-05-2002, 03:55 PM
I'd rather have Cotts, at least he's a starter.

Was that so hard college boy? :D: I also favor Cotts, so I guess Im siding with KW here