PDA

View Full Version : Whom should we get as our No. 2 starter?

Viva Magglio
12-04-2002, 09:19 AM
Javier Vasquez? I'd like to get him before you-know-who does. Of course, what would we have to give up to get Javier?

RichH55
12-04-2002, 01:34 PM
My Answer: Moyer

RichH55
12-04-2002, 01:35 PM
Vasquez is also an interesting scenario......I would have to think the White Sox would be a potential suitor.....He doesnt make a ton of money, fills a big void, and I honestly don't think that JR joining commitees to "Help" the Expos is a coincidence

Lip Man 1
12-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Rich:

JR on the "committee" to help solve the Expos situation, totally screws the Sox from getting ANYBODY off that team.

How would it look if suddenly Colon or Vasquez came to the Sox? Talk about a perceived conflict of interest. The Expos minority owners who are already suing Proud To Be Your Bud and MLB would have even more ammunition.

The Sox will get nobody from the Expos (and truth be told, that's EXACTLY what JR wants...)

Lip

RichH55
12-04-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Rich:

JR on the "committee" to help solve the Expos situation, totally screws the Sox from getting ANYBODY off that team.

How would it look if suddenly Colon or Vasquez came to the Sox? Talk about a perceived conflict of interest. The Expos minority owners who are already suing Proud To Be Your Bud and MLB would have even more ammunition.

The Sox will get nobody from the Expos (and truth be told, that's EXACTLY what JR wants...)

Lip

The Sox can get no one from the Expos and JR can stay at home.....why would he have to make a big effort to get nothing? And since when has JR cared about public opinion? You are the one who constantly tells me he can't manage PR/doesnt really care about PR, so why we he change for the Expos situation? He has never seemed to be above sticking it to MLB, he has said he wants to win....screwing over the Expos would be a chance to do both and not spend much doing it...doesn't that sound like his MO?

Dadawg_77
12-04-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
The Sox can get no one from the Expos and JR can stay at home.....why would he have to make a big effort to get nothing? And since when has JR cared about public opinion? You are the one who constantly tells me he can't manage PR/doesnt really care about PR, so why we he change for the Expos situation? He has never seemed to be above sticking it to MLB, he has said he wants to win....screwing over the Expos would be a chance to do both and not spend much doing it...doesn't that sound like his MO?

He is on the Expos committee because Bud and other owners trust he can squeeze as much blood (money) out of them.

The only time JR will stick to the other owner is when the other owners want finish a very costly strike instead of bleeding cash while trying to break organized labor. Signing Bell was not about winning but about telling the other owners I will screw you unless you go my way. JR wants to win but on his terms, he won't make strides to win, he won't go out of his way to win. In order to win he must be strolling along the street and happen to stumble on a championship. JR wants to win in order blast Good Old Blue Eye's hit "I did it my Way" while telling everyone he was right and they esp the ticketing buying fans were wrong. Or did you not see him right after the Sox clinched the Div in 2000?

The White Sox under JR leadership has pretty much bungled PR every year. Instead of building on their fan bases they surrender the town to the Cub, who have built a PR empire.

Lip Man 1
12-04-2002, 02:11 PM
Da Dawg 77:

You took the words right out of my mouth. You stated the case EXACTLY.

It's the old "Boss Daley" mentality..... "who are youse guys to tell ME how to run MY team?" (even though the fans, media, players and agents may be correct!)

The Sox could screw up a two car funeral...they couldn't win the pennant if they were the only team in the league.

"It's time," for Uncle Jerry and his entire collection of buffoons, clowns, yes men, "politically correct" hirings, boot lickers and toadys to get the hell out of town since obviously they aren't interesting in winning. If they were, they would have done so by now (he's only had 22 years!)

Funny just about everybody else seems to be able to get to the Series don't they?

Lip