PDA

View Full Version : Good trade KW

capn12
12-04-2002, 02:49 AM
Now, let me first say that it is VERY hard for me to say good trade, and associate it with KW. Let me also say that Keith Foulke was and always will be one of my favorite Sox players. I remember meeting him at the 2000 Picnic in the Park. His emotion on the mound, the fist pump after a save, I really think he was an integral part in the bullpen, and an all around great guy.

Now, as for Koch, I say that this is a borderline good/potentially great deal for a few reasons. We were gonna let Foulke walk after 2002 anyways, we should try to get something for him. Now, of course KW picked about the worst time he could value-wise for Koch vs. Foulke, but KW cant get everything right in a deal, thats too much to ask.

IF, and I mean IF, we can lock Koch up for 3 years that he is a Restr. FA, then it is a great deal. MJ was no Carlton Fisk behind the plate....heck, he wasnt even Carlton Banks back there. Josh Paul is no better, and probably couldnt throw me out trying to steal, but he has a little more offensive potential.

Valentine I'm not too sure of, I get a little leery of players 1 year of success. Not to say he might one day be the A's closer himself, but I'm not too worried about that part. There are plenty of decent to above average arms waiting in the wings, as well as lots of auditioning to be done in ST in 2003. Looks like the first PTBNL has Foulke-esque style and mechanics, but younger.

So, let me say that I am a huge fan of Foulke, and what he accomplished wearing the Southside colors, but I also know that under the wings of Coop, Koch could only get better.

We have flamethrowers in righty Koch and lefty Marte....setup guys in righty Osuna and maybe we'll see Barcelo again. Throw in one of the best lefty situational pitchers (when he is healthy and on his game) in Wunsch, fantastic long relief in Glover (as long as the Tinkerer doesnt do his thing with the Glove), friends I'd say our bullpen looks pretty solid.

Now, starting pitching behind Buehrle??? Thats a whole other can o' worms!!!

baggio202
12-04-2002, 07:08 AM
koch is arb - eligable this year...if we lock him up it gonna cost us about as much as it would for foulke...if we dont lock him up he will go to arbitration and win 4 million plus...then next year he again will be arbitration eligable and if he has the kind of season all you koch supporters think he will he will be making more than kieth foulke...if thats the case KW will deal him just like blly beane did...before he goes to arbitration...

my gut feeling...this guy throws a straight hard fastball...im having alan embree flashbacks already...these things just dont work out for us...we need to cut the phone line to billy beane's office

hold2dibber
12-04-2002, 08:00 AM
After an evening to simmer down and think some more about this trade, I'm not quite as pissed as I was yesterday.

The good news: Koch is no Foulke, but he is pretty good and he will be Sox property for three more seasons, whereas Foulke was going into his contract year. MJ was a good back-up catcher, but he is easily replaceable (Joe Girardi?). I'll withhold judgment on the Valentine throw-in until I know who we're getting from the A's. So, in summary, we got a guy who is a good closer and will be with the team for at least three years for a guy who, at least when he's on, is an elite closer, but had only one year left on his contract.

The bad: this is another example of the Sox making moves not based upon putting the best team on the field, but based upon contractual matters. I'm not certain that that is ALWAYS bad, since you have to look big picture and at the future sometimes, but the fact remains, IMHO, that the Sox aren't as good today as they were at this time yesterday (but they may ultimately be better off 1 year from today than they would have been if they hadn't made the trade).

RichH55
12-04-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
After an evening to simmer down and think some more about this trade, I'm not quite as pissed as I was yesterday.

The good news: Koch is no Foulke, but he is pretty good and he will be Sox property for three more seasons, whereas Foulke was going into his contract year. MJ was a good back-up catcher, but he is easily replaceable (Joe Girardi?). I'll withhold judgment on the Valentine throw-in until I know who we're getting from the A's. So, in summary, we got a guy who is a good closer and will be with the team for at least three years for a guy who, at least when he's on, is an elite closer, but had only one year left on his contract.

The bad: this is another example of the Sox making moves not based upon putting the best team on the field, but based upon contractual matters. I'm not certain that that is ALWAYS bad, since you have to look big picture and at the future sometimes, but the fact remains, IMHO, that the Sox aren't as good today as they were at this time yesterday (but they may ultimately be better off 1 year from today than they would have been if they hadn't made the trade).

They are never as bad as people originally think it seems