PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 12/4

Lip Man 1
12-04-2002, 01:21 AM
"I know I come home every October and see them playing on TV still, that's all I need to know." --Chicago Tribune

Keith Foulke on the difference between the A's and White Sox.

And as much as I like Sully (Paul Sullivan) I have to take issue with his contention that this proves the Sox are going after the Twins.

I fail to see how that conclusion can be drawn when the Sox STILL have huge holes to fill and are reducing payroll!

If you are "going for it" you INCREASE payroll and sign free agents so that you don't weaken another area via trade.

I also got a chuckle out of Sully's line "ONLY 5 1/2 years later, the Sox are going after the Twins." That's referring to 5 1/2 years after the infamous "White Flag" Deal. Sure only 5 1/2 years wasted, hell that's a drop in the bucket when you've been waiting 86 years since the last World Series crown and 43 years since even APPEARING in one.

Lip

RichH55
12-04-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"I know I come home every October and see them playing on TV still, that's all I need to know." --Chicago Tribune

And as much as I like Sully (Paul Sullivan) I have to take issue with his contention that this proves the Sox are going after the Twins.

I fail to see how that conclusion can be drawn when the Sox STILL have huge holes to fill and are reducing payroll!

If you are "going for it" you INCREASE payroll and sign free agents so that you don't weaken another area via trade.

I also got a chuckle out of Sully's line "ONLY 5 1/2 years later, the Sox are going after the Twins." That's referring to 5 1/2 years after the infamous "White Flag" Deal. Sure only 5 1/2 years wasted, hell that's a drop in the bucket when you've been waiting 86 years since the last World Series crown and 43 years since even APPEARING in one.

Lip

You now disagree with two sportwriters for saying the White Sox are going after the Twins....You always say the White Sox can't play the PR game, so either this is truly what the writers think, or the White Sox "played the game"....either way I'd like you to cede some credit where credit is due........

RichH55
12-04-2002, 01:35 AM

Lip

As far as cutting payroll....since Koch gets a raise with arbitration, Johnson makes nadda, and we give money to Oakland so that the money balances out...I think money wasn't the biggest consideration with this deal...While you might think we are going down the path of cheaper players(we certainly have cut payroll, but then again is dropping :hitless 's 4.5 million off the payroll a move done for payroll or for the fact thats hes awful?)...but bottomline is that this deal didnt seem to be done for payroll reasons(maybe to get a few more years before FA), so i dont think its fair to use that critism in threads regarding the trade

ma-gaga
12-04-2002, 09:45 AM
Hey Lipman,

I like reading your stuff. Can you provide a link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-021203rogers,0,3865796.column?coll=cs%2Dwhitesox%2 Dheadlines) to the articles that you reference?

Lip Man 1
12-04-2002, 01:59 PM
Rich:

See my follow up on the "I feel worn out" thread.

Lip

RichH55
12-04-2002, 02:01 PM
Rich:

See my follow up on the "I feel worn out" thread.

Lip

Already responded Lip