PDA

View Full Version : Stealing Our Thunder

Viva Magglio
12-03-2002, 09:22 PM
Chances are that the Cubs and the Dodgers were negotiating the Todd Hundley-Eric Karros/Mark Grudzielanek trade at the same time the White Sox and the Athletics were negotiating the Keith Foulke/Mark Johnson/Joe Valentine/Ca$h-Billy Koch/A's Minor Leaguer 1/A's Minor Leaguer 2 trade. There was not enough time after the Sox trade for the Cubs to make their deal. So we can assume that their trade was not a deliberate attempt by them to steal our thunder from our trade.

Nevertheless, that is exactly the effect of what happened. On the Score, the White Sox managed to knock even the Chicago Bears off their usual Tuesday perch. But from the moment George Ofman announced reports of the Cubs trade, the Cubs virtually dominated Score programming. Even the football talk on The Gale Sayers Show gave way to primarily Cubs baseball talk.

Watch, I'll open tomorrow's Sun-Times and I bet I'll see maybe one page of coverage at most of our trade. Yet at the same time, there will be about fifteen pages of coverage on the Cubs trade! And don't forget the predictable Moronotti column in which he'll probably rip us for our trade but have his pants around his ankles when analyzing the Cubs' trade.

Regardless of whether or not this was a good or bad trade (I'll take a "wait and see" approach), it will be completly overshadowed by what happened on the North Side. :angry:

Daver
12-03-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

Regardless of whether or not this was a good or bad trade (I'll take a "wait and see" approach), it will be completly overshadowed by what happened on the North Side. :angry:

Who cares?

Viva Magglio
12-03-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by daver
Who cares?

As one who is damned sick and tired of our team getting treated like crap by the media while this same media kisses the Cubs' ass 24/7, I do.

Daver
12-03-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
As one who is damned sick and tired of our team getting treated like crap by the media while this same media kisses the Cubs' ass 24/7, I do.

Have at it,ain't gonna change a damn thing though.

cheeses_h_rice
12-03-2002, 10:36 PM
I agree w/ Daver here. It's obvious this is going to be a fairly quiet off-season for the Sox and a very active one for the Scrubs.

The Scrubs can make all the moves in the world; it just puts more pressure on them to produce, in the end. And they haven't done a whole heck of a lot of producing the past 50 years.

Lip Man 1
12-03-2002, 11:19 PM
I think everyone is missing an important point. THIS DEAL IS NOT COMPLETED! It is tentative, the Cubs / Dodgers have 72 hours to make it so.

With that being said take a look at the breakdown of time allotment on the WGN TV Sports Tuesday night:

Time devoted to the Cubs tentative deal / possible future deals / and Mike Remlinger being showcased to the media 1 minute 17 seconds

Time devoted to the Sox deal 13 SECONDS That's right 13 lousy seconds.

Still think the Cubs announcing this "tentative" situation a few hours after the Sox announce their deal is coincidence?

I don't...not in a New York minute. The Cubs know how to play the PR game, the Sox haven't a clue.

Lip