PDA

View Full Version : foulke memories


ihatethecubs
12-03-2002, 06:14 PM
ok i know most of you dont like this trade but what was your favorite keith choke?
1. the "minnesota meltdown"?
2. giving up a home run to edgar martinez in the 2000 playoffs to put the m's ahead, only to have john olerud follow that with another homer?
3. blowing that game in seattle early in 2002
4. the yankees game
theres plenty more...

Daver
12-03-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs

2. giving up a home run to edgar martinez in the 2000 playoffs to put the m's ahead, only to have john olerud follow that with another homer?

I don't think Edgar's shot has landed yet.........


:)

kermittheefrog
12-03-2002, 06:28 PM
Why are you asking us what our favorite time one of our own players failed is?

hold2dibber
12-03-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
ok i know most of you dont like this trade but what was your favorite keith choke?
1. the "minnesota meltdown"?
2. giving up a home run to edgar martinez in the 2000 playoffs to put the m's ahead, only to have john olerud follow that with another homer?
3. blowing that game in seattle early in 2002
4. the yankees game
theres plenty more...

Give me a break. Foulke has been among the best in the game at converting save situations over the past few years. You can pick any closer and do the same thing (I guess Mariano Rivera sucks because of Game 7 in the 2000 World Series and Billy Koch sucks because of his flame out in Game 5 of the ALDS last year, right)?

DrCrawdad
12-03-2002, 06:30 PM
Hey, don't you guys realize that as Sox fans we're supposed to bemoan this move? Aren't we suppose to look for the negative for our team?

I spoke with my wife earlier and told her of the trade. At first she said sarcastically because she thinks Foulke is good looking, "I won't go to another game." Then she turned serious and said, "Foulke blew quite a few key games for the Sox, didn't he?"

Foulke did have a lot of saves in 2001. Maybe Foulke will turn it around. But I lost confidence in Foulke and it started with game one of the playoffs in 2000. Then 2002 with the blown save in Seattle and the Yankee game at Comiskey. That's the Foulke I'll remember not the one throwing middle relief once the season was done.

I look at the trade as Foulke for Koch. Mark Johnson and Valentine for the two minor league guys. That seems ok with me.

jeremyb1
12-03-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
ok i know most of you dont like this trade but what was your favorite keith choke?
1. the "minnesota meltdown"?
2. giving up a home run to edgar martinez in the 2000 playoffs to put the m's ahead, only to have john olerud follow that with another homer?
3. blowing that game in seattle early in 2002
4. the yankees game
theres plenty more...

you can argue all you want about how those saves crushed morale and hurt the team's momentum but the bottom line is that they were simply 4 losses in the grand scheme of things. foulke saved 42 of 45 games in '01. that's incredible. two of them were huge games. so what? koch blew 6 saves last year. any other close in '01 is something like 38 or 39 of 45 and that's still a good closer. foulke saved more than enough games to make up for the key games he blew.

Brian26
12-03-2002, 08:53 PM
I met Foulke and shook his hand at Blockbuster Video on 63rd St. and Route 83 in Willowbrook on a weeknight sometime around Christmas 2000. Nice guy off the field.

On the field, I'll always remember the black eye and cuts from the Detroit brawl in May of 2000. This guy was part of a TEAM that has been torn apart in the past couple of years. Foulke, Baldwin, Sirotka, Eldred, Lowe, Howry, MJ, Jeff Abbott, Herbert, Craig Wilson, Singleton, Ray, and even Parque. Individually, they may not have been overly impressive. Collectively, these guys were a close-knit bunch of kids who played their hearts out and their asses off. They loved each other, and they put together one of my favorite seasons ever to be a Sox fan.

One of my all-time favorite quotes is from Konerko sometime in 2000. He talked about what he did after games, being one of Chicago's most eligible bachelors. He said, "I go home and talk to my teammates on the computer." These guys were a great team...and the departute of Foulke is one more piece of the puzzle that takes away some of that fun.

I know it's a business first and foremost, but isn't it fun when you can actually *like* the guys on the team you root for?

:(:

ihatethecubs
12-03-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I met Foulke and shook his hand at Blockbuster Video on 63rd St. and Route 83 in Willowbrook on a weeknight sometime around Christmas 2000. Nice guy off the field.

On the field, I'll always remember the black eye and cuts from the Detroit brawl in May of 2000. This guy was part of a TEAM that has been torn apart in the past couple of years. Foulke, Baldwin, Sirotka, Eldred, Lowe, Howry, MJ, Jeff Abbott, Herbert, Craig Wilson, Singleton, Ray, and even Parque. Individually, they may not have been overly impressive. Collectively, these guys were a close-knit bunch of kids who played their hearts out and their asses off. They loved each other, and they put together one of my favorite seasons ever to be a Sox fan.

One of my all-time favorite quotes is from Konerko sometime in 2000. He talked about what he did after games, being one of Chicago's most eligible bachelors. He said, "I go home and talk to my teammates on the computer." These guys were a great team...and the departute of Foulke is one more piece of the puzzle that takes away some of that fun.

I know it's a business first and foremost, but isn't it fun when you can actually *like* the guys on the team you root for?

:(:

yea i had chats with him quite a few times at the players parking lot, he was really nice and talked to us for like 20 minutes once.

THE_HOOTER
12-03-2002, 09:32 PM
Brian,

I could not agree more.

The stats show is better, even when some say he had a bad year!

The clubhouse, team guy we lost will hurt almost as much.

As a fan, I cannot believe he wont be wearing 29 with the Sox next year.

duke of dorwood
12-03-2002, 09:42 PM
He has taken pics with my daughter and been a great guy. Remember too, some of his failures were in tie games and games he was brought in during the 8th inning. AND remember who's managing him all this time too.

duke of dorwood
12-03-2002, 09:43 PM
And I remember him coming into the Cubs game at Wrigley and shutting them down almost 3 innings to help us win last year.

Huisj
12-04-2002, 12:17 PM
i'll always remember him facing sosa a few years back a wrigley late in the game when sosa came up with the bases loaded. slider, changeup, changeup, and sosa was gone swinging. made him look like a total fool, and made chippy sound as ridiculous as ever as he talked up the at bat a ton and then just like that sosa has missed by a foot three times in a row.

Foulke You
12-04-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
i'll always remember him facing sosa a few years back a wrigley late in the game when sosa came up with the bases loaded. slider, changeup, changeup, and sosa was gone swinging. made him look like a total fool, and made chippy sound as ridiculous as ever as he talked up the at bat a ton and then just like that sosa has missed by a foot three times in a row.

I have that game on tape. Foulke was taking $#!t from the Cub fans seated near the bullpen all game long and when the game was over and the Sox won, Foulke pointed to those fans who were seated there and started talking smack right back at em.

I'll miss Foulkey, he was one of my favorites. I do like Koch though and he is supposed to be great in the clubhouse too. We'll see if he can perform.

As far as the Foulke choke list goes? Give me a friggin' break. It's easy to remember all the blown saves because it sticks out in your mind, but since Foulke was one of my favorites, I remember lots of times where he came in and was the hero of the day.

Remember, Fenway Park 2002 saving Garland in the 9th with runners on 1st and 2nd, nobody out, with Baerga, Garciaparra, and Shea Hillenbrand coming up? 1-2-3 game over.
How about the "infamous road trip" from the 2000 season. Didn't Foulke have 4 or 5 saves on that trip? I could continue but I cannot convince the many people who jumped off Foulke's bandwagon after one bad half of a season.

oldcomiskey
12-05-2002, 05:58 PM
look folks(no pun intended)-lets not get soppy here---I mean it aint like we lost Goose Gossage again.....I too was a Foulke fan---but my line is this---to get quality you have to give up quality--Kochs 44 saves are nothing to sneeze at------

awesomefan
12-05-2002, 11:56 PM
IHateTheCubs: Don't forget Keith had to get about 5 stitches to close up that S-U-C-K-E-R punch. I got the Detroit Brawl on video.

Keith was the awesomest & U-N-F-O-U-L-K-E-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-E-A-B-L-E

I hate the way some Sox fans are slammin' him now. I will always respect him as a ballplayer & a person & wish him the best always.

WATCH THE WHITE SOX GET WHITE HOT & KOCH FIRE!!!!

You heard it here first......hehehehehehehehehehe

Most of the A's fans have mostly good things to say about Billy Koch. Can't wait to see him on the mound at Comiskey in a Sox Uniform.

chisoxfanatic
12-06-2002, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Huisj
i'll always remember him facing sosa a few years back a wrigley late in the game when sosa came up with the bases loaded. slider, changeup, changeup, and sosa was gone swinging. made him look like a total fool, and made chippy sound as ridiculous as ever as he talked up the at bat a ton and then just like that sosa has missed by a foot three times in a row.
Wasn't that also the game where Jose showed SamME up too...Ya know, when he blew kisses to the crowd and did the "kiss kiss, heart taps" to the camera after hitting a homer run, making the Cub bench livid?

jlh221fan
12-06-2002, 01:30 PM
I prefer to remember his great setup work in '99, that he and Sirotka were the two most valuable pitchers on the 2000 division champs, 42 of 45 in 2001, and that he was a good team guy who accepted a 2-year deal a year ago rather than going for the works in arbitration.