PDA

View Full Version : So to recap:

MarkEdward
12-03-2002, 04:47 PM
This trade does nothing to improve our team. We still have no number two starter, no serviceable back-up catcher (assuming Olivo is starting), and Aaron Rowand is still the leading candidate to start in center.

hold2dibber
12-03-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
This trade does nothing to improve our team. We still have no number two starter, no serviceable back-up catcher (assuming Olivo is starting), and Aaron Rowand is still the leading candidate to start in center.

Exactly. Oh yeah, also our closer isn't as good as the one we had 12 hours ago and we've lost one of our better minor league pitching prospects.

Daver
12-03-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
and we've lost one of our better minor league pitching prospects.

I hate to tell you this,but Valentine was lost through the rule 5 draft last year,and the Sox got him back anyway,he is not one of the "better"minor league prospects.He also posted an over 9.00 ERA in the AFL when he faced better than AA hitters this year,losing Joe Valentine is a minor blip on the radar screen so to speak.

hold2dibber
12-03-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by daver
I hate to tell you this,but Valentine was lost through the rule 5 draft last year,and the Sox got him back anyway,he is not one of the "better"minor league prospects.He also posted an over 9.00 ERA in the AFL when he faced better than AA hitters this year,losing Joe Valentine is a minor blip on the radar screen so to speak.

I don't know enough to suggest that you're wrong, but I will note, for discussion's sake, that he pitched (I believe) only 3 innings in the AFL, obviously not enough to reach any conclusions about how he'll fare against better than AA hitters. And he did fair extremely well against AA hitters. Again, I'm not a scout so I have no idea if his "stuff" or his "know how" suggest that he'll be effective in the majors, but his stats last year were awfully impressive. Of course, what I left out in my previous post was that we MAY have obtained a few decent prospects; I guess we won't know that for a few more weeks.

Daver
12-03-2002, 06:05 PM
I don't know enough to suggest that you're wrong, but I will note, for discussion's sake, that he pitched (I believe) only 3 innings in the AFL, obviously not enough to reach any conclusions about how he'll fare against better than AA hitters. And he did fair extremely well against AA hitters. Again, I'm not a scout so I have no idea if his "stuff" or his "know how" suggest that he'll be effective in the majors, but his stats last year were awfully impressive. Of course, what I left out in my previous post was that we MAY have obtained a few decent prospects; I guess we won't know that for a few more weeks.

He pitched three innings in three games.

I am not claiming to be a scout at all,but I will also hesitate to call a 26th round draft pick that was claimed off of waivers after being lost in the rule 5 draft as a "better pitching prospect".

:redneck

Chisoxfn
12-03-2002, 06:17 PM

I'm definately with Daver on this. Valentine was decent, but he's nothing special, most minor league relievers aren't anything super special. I do happen to think we have some good ones, especially Ring, Munoz, and I happen to like Gary Majewski a lot. Almonte is also their as are guys like Ryan Meaux and Chris Sanders who owned the AFL.

Valentine was shut down after stinking up the joint and some feared he had an arm injury. I really don't think KW ever had much confidence with the guy. I know many don't like KW, but I always will respect his opinion when it comes to minor league players cause I Think he knows a heck of a lot more then most peole when it comes to that area.

Daver
12-03-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
and Chris Sanders who owned the AFL.

That would be Dave Sanders,sorry Chisoxfn,but I wouldn't want people trying to look for info on a guy that doesn't exist.

:)

RichH55
12-03-2002, 09:10 PM
That would be Dave Sanders,sorry Chisoxfn,but I wouldn't want people trying to look for info on a guy that doesn't exist.

Hell it could be colonel sanders(i know spelling)...im still not doing the research:) Why would I be in college to do research :?: :gulp:

Chisoxfn
12-03-2002, 11:08 PM

Whoops my bad....My mind was busy thinking about Koch closing for the Sox. I'm so excited for the start of the season.

Tragg
12-03-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

That pretty much sums it up. Johnson was a useful player - he played decent D, called a good game and actually walked, which is probably why a regime that refused to pinch hit for royce clayton wants him out of town.