PDA

View Full Version : KW and Koch speak...

OfficerKarkovice
12-03-2002, 05:13 PM
On the Official site there are audio clips from both Kenny and Billy on the trade. Kenny makes some very good points, also saying that he is still looking to bring in a veteran catcher, that there were talks of moving Marte to a starter in August (they decided against it obviously), and he seemed very excited about the two players to be named later which we received.

MarkEdward
12-03-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
and he seemed very excited about the two players to be named later which we received.

Williams was also pretty damn happy with bringing in David Wells, Royce Clayton, and Todd Ritchie

hold2dibber
12-03-2002, 05:16 PM
I don't have audio on my work computer - what did Koch have to say?

duke of dorwood
12-03-2002, 05:16 PM
Well we saved 3.5 mil here, saving 5 mil on Frank, and 4 mil on the departed Choice. Want Ivan Rodriguez? We have the $.
BUT they wont look at it that way. His spewing about 2004 tells me dont expect something like that.

jeremyb1
12-03-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Well we saved 3.5 mil here, saving 5 mil on Frank, and 4 mil on the departed Choice. Want Ivan Rodriguez? We have the $.
BUT they wont look at it that way. His spewing about 2004 tells me dont expect something like that.

we didn't save any money in this deal. koch will make a lot in arbitration and we sent them cash. kw is quoted as saying the money came out even in the deal.

OfficerKarkovice
12-03-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I don't have audio on my work computer - what did Koch have to say?

Main points were:

- enjoyed his time in Oakland but excited to get a new start in Chicago

- knew Jim Parque from the Olympics and Gary Glover from Toronto

- being dealt didn't really surprise him, heard he was going to Arizona

- loves being a workhorse, wants to be out there as much as possible

- had heard nothing of Ray Ray's negative comments on the White Sox but feels he can fit in anywhere and knows he will get along with all his new teammates

- would like to find some stability somewhere and said it's up to the Sox if they want to offer him a multi-year deal

- was brought up that even after Tommy John surgery he throws 98 and he made a comment about how he can get it up there faster than that, along with the fact that he was 100% healthy in all respects

Iguana775
12-03-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
we didn't say any money in this deal. koch will make a lot in arbitration and we sent them cash. kw is quoted as saying the money came out even in the deal.

then why the hell make the deal? i dont get it.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-03-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775

:KW
"What, these deals are suppose to make sense? Hey, somebody give me an update on that Barry kid I traded for. Or was that Berry? This job can be soooooo confusing!"

Lip Man 1
12-03-2002, 09:56 PM
The comment was made that the Sox now have money to spend.

Don't be so sure. The Chicago Sun Times today (Tuesday) said in their story on Frank Thomas that the Sox will pay him roughly five million this season BUT ARE GOING TO CLAIM THE ENTIRE TEN MILLION DUE THOMAS FOR PAYROLL PURPOSES.

Even though it's deferred that are going to act like it's on the books NOW.

I suggested that it was a PR move designed to show the less informed Sox fan that they aren't cutting payroll as much as expected. (The reality is though that they are...)

Lip

Daver
12-03-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The comment was made that the Sox now have money to spend.

Don't be so sure. The Chicago Sun Times today (Tuesday) said in their story on Frank Thomas that the Sox will pay him roughly five million this season BUT ARE GOING TO CLAIM THE ENTIRE TEN MILLION DUE THOMAS FOR PAYROLL PURPOSES.

Even though it's deferred that are going to act like it's on the books NOW.

I suggested that it was a PR move designed to show the less informed Sox fan that they aren't cutting payroll as much as expected. (The reality is though that they are...)

Lip

No,they are claiming it to gain a leg up in the luxury tax derby,under the new CBA all deferred money is due in two years from the contract date,so it helps their tax numbers to claim it now.

As far as PR goes,it is obvious that don't have a clue on that in the first place.

DrCrawdad
12-03-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
On the Official site there are audio clips from both Kenny and Billy on the trade. Kenny makes some very good points, also saying that he is still looking to bring in a veteran catcher, that there were talks of moving Marte to a starter in August (they decided against it obviously), and he seemed very excited about the two players to be named later which we received.

Yeah and I remember KW being excited about Onan Masaoka too.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/images/baseball/mlb/players/15010.jpg

Chisoxfn
12-04-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775

Well, its because Koch is guaranteed to be with the Sox the next 3 years while Foulke would of walked at the end of the season. Koch and The Sox both seem excited to get to work on an extension, which is also good news.

34 Inch Stick
12-04-2002, 10:22 AM
I would think they are showing ten million today rather than 5 million later for IRS tax purposes. If you can lower income (and receive the tax benefit) today or five years from now, you take it today. In theory you can invest that savings so it will be worth more than the equal savings in five years. I am not an accountant and my wife prepares our taxes, so who knows.