PDA

View Full Version : Just to rant a little...

MarkEdward
12-03-2002, 04:56 PM
Keith Foulke for Billy Koch is a bad trade. Foulke is an amazing pitcher, even if he has just two pitches (and those two pitches are pretty darn effective). The last five years, Foulke's ERA+ has been an average of about 172! Even in his "bad" season, his ERA+ was a staggering 159! Only a goon trades away those numbers!

Keith Foulke and Mark Johnson for Billy Koch is a travesty. MJ had a low average, but he's able to get on base and can play defense well. Everyone's being too optimistic about Miguel Olivo. He has yet to even see AAA pitching, and it took him two seasons to master AA hitting. And remember, Josh Paul is still on the roster. He will get a significant number of at-bats. He has no upside to his game.

Keith Foulke, Mark Johnson, *and* Joe Valentine for Billy Koch is unreal. I understand minor league closers don't turn out well, but you don't trade a top prospect as a "throw-in" for the deal. And if anyone thinks the two prospects we're getting are worth any value, don't kid yourself.

Many fault Jerry Reinsdorf for his lack of spending. I find fault in his loyalty. Kenny Williams was a good little organizational soldier, so of course JR named him general manager, when it's clear that Williams can't run a major league franchise.

duke of dorwood
12-03-2002, 05:01 PM
Koch 23 blown saves in the same period Keith had 15

:burly

Oh no

RedPinStripes
12-03-2002, 05:03 PM
I like the idea of haveing a closer that can hit 98 on the gun. I know i'll be argueing this for hours, but i dont think the trade was that bad.

MarkEdward
12-03-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I like the idea of haveing a closer that can hit 98 on the gun. I know i'll be argueing this for hours, but i dont think the trade was that bad.

Well yeah, it's nice, but when most of those 98 MPH pitches end up being taters or out of the strike zone, it becomes not so nice.

duke of dorwood
12-03-2002, 05:12 PM
Kyle Farnsworth hits 98

RedPinStripes
12-03-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Well yeah, it's nice, but when most of those 98 MPH pitches end up being taters or out of the strike zone, it becomes not so nice.

Koch has room to improve. And yeah, Foulke was great when they were 20 games out. I like Keith , but he scared the **** out of me every time.

And after Mark Buehrle comes out of the game late, batters will be thrown off by about 10mph more on a fastball.

Foulke wasnt the greatest with control either.

soxtalker
12-03-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

Keith Foulke, Mark Johnson, *and* Joe Valentine for Billy Koch is unreal. I understand minor league closers don't turn out well, but you don't trade a top prospect as a "throw-in" for the deal. And if anyone thinks the two prospects we're getting are worth any value, don't kid yourself.

I'm not crazy about defending KW, and I'm not really sure about this trade. However, who those minor league players are makes a big difference. Olivo came from Oakland in one of KW's early trades, and, while it took a while for him to make it to the majors, he appears to be our catcher of the future.

MarkEdward
12-03-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Koch has room to improve. And yeah, Foulke was great when they were 20 games out. I like Keith , but he scared the **** out of me every time.

Koch is 27. He's not going to improve much more.

And after Mark Buehrle comes out of the game late, batters will be thrown off by about 10mph more on a fastball.

They'll be thrown off alright- thrown off by Koch's ability to walk batters and serve up home runs.

Foulke wasnt the greatest with control either.

Foulkes BB/IP: .17
Koch's BB/IP: .49
If you have a problem with Foulke's control, you sure won't be happy with Koch's.