PDA

View Full Version : Before anyone foolishly suggests...

PaleHoseGeorge
12-03-2002, 03:52 PM
...that the Ray Durham deal Beane got from KW last summer was a smart move for the Sox, please remember the compensation picks WERE NOT ELIMINATED by the collective bargaining agreement. Both sides agreed to keep them after the new CBA was signed. They remain in effect for the duration of the current CBA.

In effect, the Sox PAID Oakland to play Durham and take our compensation pick.

The nightmare just keeps getting worse and worse...

jeremyb1
12-03-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
...that the Ray Durham deal Beane got from KW last summer was a smart move for the Sox, please remember the compensation picks WERE NOT ELIMINATED by the collective bargaining agreement. Both sides agreed to keep them after the new CBA was signed. They remain in effect for the duration of the current CBA.

In effect, the Sox PAID Oakland to play Durham and take our compensation pick.

The nightmare just keeps getting worse and worse...

well they were eliminated, the players and owners just decided there was some misunderstanding and went back on the agreement. williams may have been wise to keep ray on the slight chance the picks wouldn't be eliminated but jiminez and harris wouldn't have had the abs at the end of the season.

hold2dibber
12-03-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
well they were eliminated, the players and owners just decided there was some misunderstanding and went back on the agreement. williams may have been wise to keep ray on the slight chance the picks wouldn't be eliminated but jiminez and harris wouldn't have had the abs at the end of the season.

But that agreement had not been reached at the time KW dealt Durham to Oakland, so at that point in time it was completely up in the air as to whether draft picks would be eliminated. KW gambled and got burned (surprise, surprise).

34 Inch Stick
12-04-2002, 08:51 AM
Getting beaten once in a while is understandable as players do not always pan out and the majority of GM's in the league are not completely foolish. Getting beat on a consistent basis is something Chairman Jerry should be concerned about.

RichH55
12-04-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
But that agreement had not been reached at the time KW dealt Durham to Oakland, so at that point in time it was completely up in the air as to whether draft picks would be eliminated. KW gambled and got burned (surprise, surprise).

I agree that KW gambled and got burned....but this wasnt a high risk gamble...it was a fluke that those picks still exist....granted he should have gotten more for Durham anyway, but I don't think those compensation picks still being around was even on the radar

Brian26
12-04-2002, 12:42 PM
There's no doubt in my mind that Kenny's legacy is going to help take everyone's mind off the 15-month Hawk Harrelson experiment in the mid-80's. The Pittsburgh trade still has potential to really bite us in the ass, and now this Foulke-Koch trade has a lot of potential to kill us. What's interesting in the whole scheme of things is how the national media seems to think the Sox got a steal in this trade. Mike and Mike this morning were talking like the Koch move was a salary dump. Are we just being pessimistic Sox fans, or are we just more informed than the average bear?

RKMeibalane
12-04-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
There's no doubt in my mind that Kenny's legacy is going to help take everyone's mind off the 15-month Hawk Harrelson experiment in the mid-80's. The Pittsburgh trade still has potential to really bite us in the ass, and now this Foulke-Koch trade has a lot of potential to kill us. What's interesting in the whole scheme of things is how the national media seems to think the Sox got a steal in this trade. Mike and Mike this morning were talking like the Koch move was a salary dump. Are we just being pessimistic Sox fans, or are we just more informed than the average bear?

It's probably a combination of both. Our pessimistic nature is the restult of the numerous problems that have manifested themselves since Willams became GM. At the same time, we as Sox fans are intelligent enough to realize that anything can and does happen when KW is "spinning his wheels." The trouble is, most of what happens is bad.

jeremyb1
12-04-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

i wouldn't say it was completely up in the air. there were definate indications that it was probable that the picks would be eliminated. gammons refered to it as a near sure thing around the time we made the deal.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-04-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i wouldn't say it was completely up in the air. there were definate indications that it was probable that the picks would be eliminated. gammons refered to it as a near sure thing around the time we made the deal.

Just can't let it die, can you jeremy. However, your chatroom writing style reads a lot better when you limit yourself to three-sentence thoughts. Keep up the good work.

p.s.
Do yourself a favor. Don't believe any predictions Peter Gammons makes.

FarWestChicago
12-05-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
p.s.
Do yourself a favor. Don't believe any predictions Peter Gammons makes. :boston

Hey, in 1911 I predicted there would be a huge war before the end of the decade. I've got a track record!