Konerkofan
12-03-2002, 12:32 PM
Keith Foulke has been traded to Oakland

nixsox
12-03-2002, 12:39 PM
Looks like HSC was right.

Foulke You
12-03-2002, 12:51 PM
KW strikes again (http://http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1203/1470567.html)

This trade makes no sense. Trade a top AL closer in Foulke, a servicable catcher, a good pitching prospect and cash for a good closer (one not as good as Foulke in my opinion but almost as good) and two minor leaguers not worth mentioning? What does this do to improve the team? Nothing!

I hate it when I'm right. I said not to long ago that Foulke's days as a White Sox were numbered the moment he challenged the Reinsdorf regime and won his arbitration.

Man, there goes another one of my favorite players who will win with some other team :angry:

duke of dorwood
12-03-2002, 01:09 PM
Another pathetic trade by a minor league organization.

THE_HOOTER
12-03-2002, 01:12 PM
Duke couldn't have said it any better.

Another pathetic trade by a pathetic organization. Slowly but surely patterning themselves after the beloved Blackhawks hockey team.

Oh, and by the way, if you don't think Ordonez is the next one leaving, your crazy.

They will trade him next year-guaranteed.

pudge
12-03-2002, 01:14 PM
I b*tched about Foulke for much of the season, but he had always been one of my favorites, and his comeback last season had me excited to see him back in the closer role... so now the question is open to our great WSI minds... what is behind this trade? Let's not jump down KW's throat without looking at it first... What is the money situation? Who are the minor leaguers? Koch is arbitration eligible and is expected to get about $4 mil... when are each player's contract up?

ode to veeck
12-03-2002, 01:20 PM
As much as Foulke racked up numerous and impressive saves the last 3 seasons, his effectiveness as a closer was really gone this year and doesn't show in his numbers; it was scary to see him throw the changeup this year, while in the past it had been a very effective pitch (late '00, most of '01)

On the other hand Koch was barely 2nd in the AL with 44 saves (Guradado had 45) and clearly still effective as a closer

Koch is up for arbitration end of next year according to one article I saw--that would be interested to see what JR would do after a good '03 for Koch (clearly market worth about double his current $2M/yr + incentives)

With or without Mark Johnson, we still need a catcher, so I'd rate this deal as about a B+ based on filling the current need at closer

doublem23
12-03-2002, 01:52 PM
Someone really needs to get Billy Beane's card out of KW's rolodex.

NUCatsFan
12-03-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Someone really needs to get Billy Beane's card out of KW's rolodex.

Actually, keep the card in there, just fire Lenny's @$$ so that it doesn't matter.

foulkesfan11
12-03-2002, 02:41 PM
I'm sad to see Keith go. This other guy doesn't look much better. I am glad, however that Mark Johnson is gone. He sucked!

chisox06
12-03-2002, 03:02 PM
At least we got another closer, I could see Marte or Osuna taking over the role but then that would leave our bullpen very skinny. The one thing that I dont understand is that why are the sox making deals for a closer? I was looking forward to Foulke coming back strong next year, I cant understand why KW thought that trading for a closer was on the priority list when we all know that there are other more important priorites (New starting pitcher, center field, cacther) that need to be addressed.

Foulke You
12-03-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
At least we got another closer, I could see Marte or Osuna taking over the role but then that would leave our bullpen very skinny. The one thing that I dont understand is that why are the sox making deals for a closer? I was looking forward to Foulke coming back strong next year, I cant understand why KW thought that trading for a closer was on the priority list when we all know that there are other more important priorites (New starting pitcher, center field, cacther) that need to be addressed.

Exactly! This does nothing to improve the team. Sorry Ode to Veeck, Koch doesn't make us a better team. I did a comparison of Foulke's numbers on a post at the end of the last season to the top closers in the AL (i.e. Sasaki, Percival, Rivera, and yes I included Koch up there too) Foulke's numbers, save %, K to BB ratio, and saves were comparable or superior to Koch's numbers. Keith had one bad half of a season and everyone jumped off the Foulke bandwagon including Kenny Williams and Jerry Manuel who prompty yanked him out of the closer role and never gave him a chance to go back to it even when our season was done. Check out Percival's stats for the 2000 season. As a closer, he had a pretty awful year that year and look at what he did in 2002.

Don't get me wrong. Koch is a fine closer with a great fastball (99 mph) but giving up Foulke, MJ (we now have rookie Miguel Olivo or...shudder...Josh Paul as our only catchers), Valentine (who's numbers looked good), and we PAID the A's more money to take these players from us!! Just like we PAID the A's to rent Durham!

:KW
"Hmmm...I think I underpaid again, I thought I'd have to include Joe Crede to make this deal happen."

PaleHoseGeorge
12-03-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
I'm sad to see Keith go. This other guy doesn't look much better. I am glad, however that Mark Johnson is gone. He sucked!

Just wait till Josh Paul takes MJ's spot next year. Oh, and what craziness can we expect from Manuel utilizing Josh's "versatility" in 2003!

:jerry
"Ha ha! I bet you thought I was just goofing around when I started Josh in LF in Minnesota last September. WRONG!"

34rancher
12-03-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Just wait till Josh Paul takes MJ's spot next year. Oh, and what craziness can we expect from Manuel utilizing Josh's "versatility" in 2003!

:jerry
"Ha ha! I bet you thought I was just goofing around when I started Josh in LF in Minnesota last September. WRONG!"

While MJ's bat left something to be desired, I am going to be curious to see what impact this will have on Buehrle. HE was after all, his catcher for his games. Say what you will about his bat, but for MB, he did call good games.