PDA

View Full Version : i thought the point of pro sports...

Iguana775
12-03-2002, 12:29 PM
was to win...i am tired of KW trading away everyone for less than value. koch is good but not worth what we gave.

ozzman
12-03-2002, 12:34 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/KW.jpg
no, the point of pro sports is to make billy beane look like a genius. he is my boy and after i get that championship he promises me after every conversation we have, i will be a genius like him

MrX
12-03-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
was to win.

:reinsy
MUHAHAHAHAHAHA. It's about how much money I can make.

hold2dibber
12-03-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
was to win...i am tired of KW trading away everyone for less than value. koch is good but not worth what we gave.

I probably wouldn't have traded Foulke for Koch straight up. To also give up MJ (who wasn't worthy of an MLB starting job, but is a decent receiver and a good backup), Valentine and $ in addition to Foulke, makes me sick to my stomach. Maybe the two minor leaguers were getting a real prospects and not just throw ins.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-03-2002, 12:51 PM
At least MJ was decent behind the plate. He knew how to take a walk, too. I cringe to think what disasters will befall us once the new backup catcher is in place.

:versatile
"Don't forget I can run bases, too. Except 3rd base... in Seattle... on Ichiro... twice... in a single game.

:jerry
What can I say? The man is versatile!"

THE_HOOTER
12-03-2002, 12:55 PM
This deal is another example of our inability to make deals that improve the team.

If Foulke is statisically better than Koch, how does that improve the closer position? If it does, it's not by much.

We throw in another minor league bullpen guy who could have made the team this upcoming year, and we give them some cash and a back up catcher who knew our pitching staff.

how in the world can you look at this deal and say we got fair value in return?

I know how--- down the road we prolly saved some $$$$.

It is fact that when you make trades to lower your payroll for now or the future, your team is going nowhere.

This trade is a good example of a franchise that does not care about winning.

If you cannot afford to keep your best players in a mjor market like Chicago, forget it.

This trade makes me sick, and if it werent for the All-star game, I would avoid Comiskey all summer.

Foulke was one of the few leaders we had on this team. Not to mention he hated the Cubs.

cheeses_h_rice
12-03-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER

Foulke was one of the few leaders we had on this team. Not to mention he hated the Cubs.

This is a little-reported facet about Keith. He really, really fought for the Sox (literally, in the case of that one Tigers game) and was obviously personally involved in the outcome of games against our most bitter rivals, including the Scrubs. The Sox don't have too many guys like that left -- Jose, Konerko...that's about all I can think of now.

I've heard Koch is a wild personality, too, so maybe we'll be making up something there. But, you never know.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-03-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I've heard Koch is a wild personality, too, so maybe we'll be making up something there. But, you never know.

Wait a minute! Kenny doesn't go for guys who aren't team players. You know, making chatter in the dugout, patting guys on the rump, telling stories about dating the prom queen in high school, etcetera...

This Koch guy might be a bad influence!

:KW
"Get Beane on the phone! I want to trade this guy as soon as possible. Maybe he'll go for another 1 for 2 plus cash deal!"

duke of dorwood
12-03-2002, 01:12 PM
We are a welfare system for teams with limited funds to stock up.

:KW

Baby got back.....................I get back nothing

Lip Man 1
12-03-2002, 03:00 PM
Interesting point someone made about the A's being a "small market" team that uses that to their ADVANTAGE. i.e. "you want to deal with us, we'll take your player but you have to help PAY his salary..."

The Sox claim they are a "small market" club but can't seem to do the same thing. (wonder why LOL!)

Why don't the Sox play the same game...call the Yankees and say they'll take Posada and Hitchcock if the Yanks pay HALF their salary.

As far as the point of pro sports is to win....the only owner who thinks that is Steinbrenner. (Funny everyone seems to dump on his for it don't they?)

Jerry Reinsdorf I'm sure wants to win, BUT he wants to do it HIS WAY. (i.e. small team payroll, no long term pitching deals, no dealing with agents like Scott Boras, won't hire an experienced GM or field manager.)

His reason to win isn't for winning's sake, it for his personal EGO and VINDICATION. (i.e. "I'm right! and all you fans, media, players and agents are WRONG.) That's the wrong reason to try to win, you make monster mistakes when your ego gets in the way of common sense.)

Lip