PDA

View Full Version : brad penny?

jeremyb1
12-02-2002, 09:22 PM
bob nightengale reports in baseball weekly that the marlins are shopping brad penny. he also repeats the rumor that we were very close to obtaining corey lidle for mj but offers no explanation as to why the deal didn't happen.

Hullett_Fan
12-02-2002, 09:29 PM
No Thanks. We already have plenty of #4 or #5 starters on this roster. I'd rather give Rauch, Wright, Sanders,.......etc. a shot.

We need a number 2, and a number 3 starter.

Daver
12-02-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
No Thanks. We already have plenty of #4 or #5 starters on this roster. I'd rather give Rauch, Wright, Sanders,.......etc. a shot.

Sanders is a releiver,perhaps you are thinking of Stewart? He is a starter.

jeremyb1
12-02-2002, 09:58 PM

i certainly don't see penny as a number 4 or 5. he was hurt last year but he's still only 24 and posted a 3.69 era in '01. i have no idea what the asking price is but if its not too expensive i'd take him in a heartbeat.

hose
12-02-2002, 10:02 PM

I agree.

The Sox need a #2 starter and Penny is not proven.

Hullett_Fan
12-02-2002, 10:17 PM
Sanders is a releiver,perhaps you are thinking of Stewart? He is a starter.

Yep. Thanks Daver.

I look forward to seeing how this next crop of young guns does...hopefully they won't be traded away ala Kip and Fogg. If young starting pitching wasn't a strength, I'd trade for Penny...but we need a guy with a few good years under his belt. :smile:

Daver
12-02-2002, 10:24 PM
Yep. Thanks Daver.

I look forward to seeing how this next crop of young guns does...hopefully they won't be traded away ala Kip and Fogg. If young starting pitching wasn't a strength, I'd trade for Penny...but we need a guy with a few good years under his belt. :smile:

Kip was given more than a fair chance to prove himself at this level,and he failed,was good for awhile in the more pitcher freindly NL,and failed again,getting rid of him was not a bad decision.

As far as Fogg goes,aside from the one season that he pitched way over his head in A ball,was not considered all that much of a prospect,and his numbers from last year would tend to show that.

jeremyb1
12-02-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by daver
Kip was given more than a fair chance to prove himself at this level,and he failed,was good for awhile in the more pitcher freindly NL,and failed again,getting rid of him was not a bad decision.

i disagree. kip had a 3.40 era in the first half an a 3.80 era in the second half last season. i don't see where he failed.

Hullett_Fan
12-02-2002, 10:33 PM
Kip was given more than a fair chance to prove himself at this level,and he failed,was good for awhile in the more pitcher freindly NL,and failed again,getting rid of him was not a bad decision

You're right. This is one area the Sox scouting/developement dept. does seem to have a good eye. They know how deep their system is with SPs and we've hung onto Garland & Wright which is a plus. I think we should have thrown in the towel earlier in the season the last 2 years and given some other young arms the opportunity in the majors (instead of Parque, Ritchie, etc.).

Soxheads
12-02-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i disagree. kip had a 3.40 era in the first half an a 3.80 era in the second half last season. i don't see where he failed.

Well, a 3-10 record in your last 17 starts of the year isn't encouraging.

Hullett_Fan
12-02-2002, 10:39 PM

You make a good point...the Bucs didn't give him much support. Maybe the verdict's still out on him. But anyway, if he was still on the Sox, he would be a long shot to make the rotation...they'd seen enough and we have some good arms coming up.

Would like to pick up at least ONE #1 or #2 and see how Garland, Wright and Rauch do. If that pick-up is Colon, that wouldn't be a bad starting 5. :D:

Daver
12-02-2002, 10:39 PM
You're right. This is one area the Sox scouting/developement dept. does seem to have a good eye. They know how deep their system is with SPs and we've hung onto Garland & Wright which is a plus. I think we should have thrown in the towel earlier in the season the last 2 years and given some other young arms the opportunity in the majors (instead of Parque, Ritchie, etc.).

Last season was a differnt situation,no one was going to get added to the forty man roster before the strike,and after that passed it was a perfect time to let Parque show what he could for a possible trade,his days on the Southside are obviously numbered.

As far as Ritchie goes,he was hurt,Don Cooper discovered the injury that he tried to hide for two months,and Cooper shut him down,so I will lay off any judgement on Todd till he is healthy.

hose
12-02-2002, 10:48 PM

As far as Ritchie goes,he was hurt,Don Cooper discovered the injury that he tried to hide for two months,and Cooper shut him down,so I will lay off any judgement on Todd till he is healthy. [/B]

What would expect out of a healthy Todd Ritchie?

12-14 wins and 200 plus innings?

Hullett_Fan
12-02-2002, 10:49 PM
IMO, I'd put giving deserving minor leaguers a needed start or 2 ahead of showcasing Parque. Even if butters had pitched well, I doubt we'd get anything of value for him in return.

Agree with you on Ritchie....he's a good guy and wants to prove to the Sox, fans and himself that '02 was a fluke. Maybe put him in middle-relief to start the season, by May I'm sure we'll be begging for him to take someone's place in the rotation.

:glove

"Who?...Me??"

:D:

Soxheads
12-02-2002, 10:55 PM
IMO, I'd put giving deserving minor leaguers a needed start or 2 ahead of showcasing Parque. Even if butters had pitched well, I doubt we'd get anything of value for him in return.

Agree with you on Ritchie....he's a good guy and wants to prove to the Sox, fans and himself that '02 was a fluke. Maybe put him in middle-relief to start the season, by May I'm sure we'll be begging for him to take someone's place in the rotation.

:glove

"Who?...Me??"

:D:

I just wish that he has one damn role on the team the WHOLE year.

Daver
12-02-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by hose
What would expect out of a healthy Todd Ritchie?

12-14 wins and 200 plus innings?

Based on what he did while healthy early in the season he would get 12-16 wins,based on what the streaky offense gave him to work with,and the two hundred innings would not be a problem,but last year he got almost no run support before he was hurt.

I look at pitchers based on mechanics and ability,with a nod towards stuff,in those departments Todd has all of the above,though he lacks a a true Hammer pitch.His stuff leans towards the weak side,but he has good control of the strike zone and does have the ability to locate a pitch.

I am not saying he is going to win a Cy Young award anytime soon,but I would say he is a better pitcher than he showed last year.

guillen4life13
12-02-2002, 11:09 PM
Based on what he did while healthy early in the season he would get 12-16 wins,based on what the streaky offense gave him to work with,and the two hundred innings would not be a problem,but last year he got almost no run support before he was hurt.

I look at pitchers based on mechanics and ability,with a nod towards stuff,in those departments Todd has all of the above,though he lacks a a true Hammer pitch.His stuff leans towards the weak side,but he has good control of the strike zone and does have the ability to locate a pitch.

I am not saying he is going to win a Cy Young award anytime soon,but I would say he is a better pitcher than he showed last year.

I hope you're right, but I don't think you can blame us for being a little skeptical. After all (and this works against Kip and Josh Fogg)- pitching in the NL tends to give better results to most pitchers.

AnthonyGiacalone
12-03-2002, 04:20 PM
Brad Penny would be the second best starter on this team and if the Sox could get him they should in a second.

My guess is that Florida knows that and would ask for too much.

RichH55
12-03-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by AnthonyGiacalone
Brad Penny would be the second best starter on this team and if the Sox could get him they should in a second.

My guess is that Florida knows that and would ask for too much.

I dont think Florida is a team that you cringe about when you deal with them...when Beane trades with us you hope for the best, but expect the worst....not so with Florida