PDA

View Full Version : Decision Today for Thome?

WinningUgly!
12-02-2002, 10:17 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1201/1469624.html

Why do I get the feeling he is going to turn down a lot more money and return to Cleveland?

Kilroy
12-02-2002, 10:35 AM
When you break it down, it comes to 3 mil per year difference over the course of 6 years (assuming that he'll get the 12 mil in that 6th year from the Jndians).

So, for 3 mil a year, I'd bet against him going to Philly also. Would it really be worth it??

WinningUgly!
12-02-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
When you break it down, it comes to 3 mil per year difference over the course of 6 years (assuming that he'll get the 12 mil in that 6th year from the Jndians).

So, for 3 mil a year, I'd bet against him going to Philly also. Would it really be worth it??

Yeah, that's only $18 million.http://64.191.21.254/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Kilroy
12-02-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Yeah, that's only $18 million.http://64.191.21.254/ubb/rolleyes.gif

You and I agree on that. But if you'd just pocketed 12 mil, would you sweat 3 more mil that you could have had??

hold2dibber
12-02-2002, 11:31 AM
Another factor that may come into plays is that the Phillies do have a good young core and appear to be committed to winning now, whereas the Indians are in a rebuilding phase and are probably at least a few years away from even thinking about contending. Slog through a few 70 win seasons in Cleveland or go win about 90 games in each of those seasons, and earn about $20 million more, in Philadelphia? I don't know what he's going to do, but I'm guessing it's not going to be an easy choice by any stretch.

SoxxoS
12-02-2002, 11:37 AM
What do we as Sox fans think Thome should sign for our benefit? Do we want Cleveland to sign him and a have a large chunk of payroll going to him, or do we want Cleveland to let him go to Phily and have some money to play with? I dont think they have any stud hitters in the minors, so that wont matter either way.

WinningUgly!
12-02-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
You and I agree on that. But if you'd just pocketed 12 mil, would you sweat 3 more mil that you could have had?? I can't honestly answer this. That's 3 more million for him, his kids, his kids' kids, etc. Hard to tell how much it's really worth to him.

WinningUgly!
12-02-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
What do we as Sox fans think Thome should sign for our benefit? Do we want Cleveland to sign him and a have a large chunk of payroll going to him, or do we want Cleveland to let him go to Phily and have some money to play with? I dont think they have any stud hitters in the minors, so that wont matter either way.

Part of me wants him out of the AL Central, part of me wants him back with the Tribe.

When/if he does decide to sign with Philly, watch how fast guys like Glavine jump & sign there, as well. This is the big FA signing that will trigger all of the others.

Foulke You
12-02-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Thome has terrorized Sox pitching in his years with Cleveland. Thome always seemed to hit back breaking 3 run homers against us, especially in the late innings. I for one, would not shed a tear seeing Cleveland losing a lot of thump in their lineup with the subtraction of Thome.

hold2dibber
12-02-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Thome has terrorized Sox pitching in his years with Cleveland. Thome always seemed to hit back breaking 3 run homers against us, especially in the late innings. I for one, would not shed a tear seeing Cleveland losing a lot of thump in their lineup with the subtraction of Thome.

That's the truth - any time Thome comes up against the Sox in a close game, I cringe with terror before each pitch. On the other hand, if the Tribe has to pay Thome $12 million per year for each of the next six years, that could really hamstring them in terms of other moves. And I personally think that he'll not be very productive over the last year or two of the deal. I guess on balance, though, I'd like to see him leave.

KempersRS
12-02-2002, 02:14 PM
He signed with the Phils this morning.

WinningUgly!
12-02-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
He signed with the Phils this morning.

Yup, it's official (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15828). How long before Glavine follows suit?