PDA

View Full Version : South Loop Stadium

Brian26
12-01-2002, 10:48 AM
Had a delicious dinner last night with the significant other at Rosebud on Taylor Street. Great Stuff. Anyway, on the way home we had to stop at Dominicks to pick up some essentials. Went to the Dominicks on Roosevelt Road just west of the Dan Ryan.

Walking out of the store and looking northeast at the gorgeous skyline, my jaw just about dropped. My God, a Comiskey Park in THAT exact location would have been spectacular. The view of the Sears Tower and AON Building and the entire skyline would have been breathtaking just over the left-centerfield wall.

I know of the politics of the time. I've read books.

It's a shame the Sox didn't pursue this general location. The skyline view at night shouldn't be wasted on a Dominick's parking lot. It's too good not to have a baseball park there. If you have never seen it, I suggest you take a look sometime. It's gorgeous.

RedPinStripes
12-01-2002, 11:06 AM
Maybe in another 50 years? :smile:

duke of dorwood
12-01-2002, 11:12 AM
Until then we could have, at least faced our park towards the loop. Look at the way residences have sprung up around Roosevelt Rd. Our park could have been what Wrigley is to that area.

RedPinStripes
12-01-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Until then we could have, at least faced our park towards the loop. Look at the way residences have sprung up around Roosevelt Rd. Our park could have been what Wrigley is to that area.

Supposedly, it's going to be. Daley has "The 5 year plan" for Bridgeport. That area is a hell of a lot nicer now then it was 10 years ago. major improvement.

HITMEN OF 77
12-01-2002, 12:42 PM
I can't remember I was too young or didn't pay attention, but where the new Comiskey sits is that the old Comiskey parking lot?

TornLabrum
12-01-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
I can't remember I was too young or didn't pay attention, but where the new Comiskey sits is that the old Comiskey parking lot?

It's where McCuddy's and other businesses used to be, along with some housing, iirc.