PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Stanky


HITMEN OF 77
11-29-2002, 04:46 PM
I was just curious to know if "The Brat" Eddie Stanky was still alive. One of my favorite Sox managers of all time, even though he only managed 2 1/2 seasons. Famous for starting beanball wars and bench clears. It wasn't his fault the Sox were terrible in '68, Veeck traded away the farm system in the early 60's and they had nothing left when the decade came to a close. I will always remember him for the magical season of '67.

boomer
11-29-2002, 06:10 PM
stanky bit the dust a few years ago. no specifics. i know he coached college baseball at univ of so. alabama for a long time, was pretty happy down there.

Daver
11-29-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by boomer
stanky bit the dust a few years ago. no specifics. i know he coached college baseball at univ of so. alabama for a long time, was pretty happy down there.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

duke of dorwood
11-29-2002, 07:46 PM
I think he would have done very well with the team we have right now. And get us some headlines too.

Lip Man 1
11-29-2002, 11:00 PM
Here's a couple of vintage Eddie Stanky stories (by the way one of our cats is named "Brat" in his honor...)

In 1966 because of injuries to two other Sox catchers (probably J.C. Martin and Gerry McNertney) John "Honey" Romano an experienced catcher had to try to catch Hoyt Wilhelm and his knuckleball. Hoyt's first two pitches got past Romano and went to the backstop. After the third straight pitch floated by him, Romano started walking towards the Sox dugout ripping off his catching gear while he went. Stanky literally had to physically push him back on the field in order to finish the game!

In August 1967 the Sox fell out of first place, losing a 3-2 game to the Twins at Comiskey. The key play came when the late Tommie Agee was throw out at 3rd, in the 9th inning, on a very controversial call, Stanky steamed to say the least.

It turned out VP Hubert Humphrey was at the game and wanted to meet with the team afterwards (must have been for PR purposes). Anyway Stanky kept him waiting in the hallway! When asked about it, Stanky said "what do I need to see him for, can he hit?"

Early in the 67 season. Stanky performed his famous striptease for the media. Gates Brown of the Tigers ripped a Bob Locker pitch for a game winning home run and afterwards one of the Detroit reporters asked Stanky what the pitch that Locker threw was. Stanky went absolutely ballistic! Ripping off his cap, ripping his jersey to shreads, taking his spikes off and throwing them against the wall. He was a real psycho! But it was never boring around him!

Maybe I'll tell you some more stories about him at another time. If I might recommend something...go back in the WSI Interviews and re read my Q & A with J.C. Martin. Martin had some great insight into what it was like to play for Stanky and the problems (unfortunately) that he caused the Sox.

Lip

DVG
11-30-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Here's a couple of vintage Eddie Stanky stories (by the way one of our cats is named "Brat" in his honor...)

In 1966 because of injuries to two other Sox catchers (probably J.C. Martin and Gerry McNertney) John "Honey" Romano an experienced catcher had to try to catch Hoyt Wilhelm and his knuckleball. Hoyt's first two pitches got past Romano and went to the backstop. After the third straight pitch floated by him, Romano started walking towards the Sox dugout ripping off his catching gear while he went. Stanky literally had to physically push him back on the field in order to finish the game!

In August 1967 the Sox fell out of first place, losing a 3-2 game to the Twins at Comiskey. The key play came when the late Tommie Agee was throw out at 3rd, in the 9th inning, on a very controversial call, Stanky steamed to say the least.

It turned out VP Hubert Humphrey was at the game and wanted to meet with the team afterwards (must have been for PR purposes). Anyway Stanky kept him waiting in the hallway! When asked about it, Stanky said "what do I need to see him for, can he hit?"

Early in the 67 season. Stanky performed his famous striptease for the media. Gates Brown of the Tigers ripped a Bob Locker pitch for a game winning home run and afterwards one of the Detroit reporters asked Stanky what the pitch that Locker threw was. Stanky went absolutely ballistic! Ripping off his cap, ripping his jersey to shreads, taking his spikes off and throwing them against the wall. He was a real psycho! But it was never boring around him!

Maybe I'll tell you some more stories about him at another time. If I might recommend something...go back in the WSI Interviews and re read my Q & A with J.C. Martin. Martin had some great insight into what it was like to play for Stanky and the problems (unfortunately) that he caused the Sox.

Lip

The Hubert Humphrey story is one of my favorites. Imagine a
White Sox manager pulling a stunt like that today. Mike North
and every other drunken slob in the media would have a fit and
start bellowing and braying about the horrible, horrible PR moves
by the Sox. The Tribune would blare it on page one, Jay M. would
scream that no one but no one will go to Comiskey Park after
this brazen act of treasonous treachery, and blah blah blah.

Also, my family was friends with Tommy John when he was with
the White Sox. He liked Stanky a lot, had a great amount of res-
pect for him, according to my father.

Lip Man 1
11-30-2002, 01:55 PM
TJ would like the Brat. Stanky promised his pitchers a new suit of clothes for every complete game they threw, win or lose.

Lip

Ol Aches & Pains
12-01-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
TJ would like the Brat. Stanky promised his pitchers a new suit of clothes for every complete game they threw, win or lose.

Lip

Of course, since complete games are completed or not completed at the whim of the manager, that would seem to be a low risk policy.

The thing I can't forgive or forget about Stanky is that in 1947 when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier, Stanky asked to be traded rather than play on the same team with him. He was rumored to be one of the instigators of the infamous "petition" that circulated among the Dodgers that wanted to keep Robinson out of the league, and indeed before the 1948 season he was traded to the Boston Braves for a couple of stiffs and $40,000, just to get him out of Brooklyn.

ihatethecubs
12-01-2002, 09:19 PM
i think he died around september '99 cuz i was at a game late in the '99 season and before the game they had a moment of silence for him

SI1020
12-01-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Ol Aches & Pains
Of course, since complete games are completed or not completed at the whim of the manager, that would seem to be a low risk policy.

The thing I can't forgive or forget about Stanky is that in 1947 when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier, Stanky asked to be traded rather than play on the same team with him. He was rumored to be one of the instigators of the infamous "petition" that circulated among the Dodgers that wanted to keep Robinson out of the league, and indeed before the 1948 season he was traded to the Boston Braves for a couple of stiffs and $40,000, just to get him out of Brooklyn. I'm going by memory here, so I'm sure someone will call me on this if I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure he "evolved" somewhat as he got older. I don't recall him having problems with black players on the Sox. I do have a 1967 Stanky story to add. With the Sox in a fierce pennant race with the Red Sox, Tigers and Twins the always feisty Stanky decided to call Bosox star Carl Yastrezemski "an all star from the neck down." Of course Yaz torched the Sox in a key series. After hitting a particular home run he made the choke sign at Stanky in the Sox dugout after crossing home plate. The Red Sox of course went on to win the pennant and take the mighty Cardinals to game 7 of the 67 WS before going down.

HITMEN OF 77
12-02-2002, 12:25 AM
I've heard that one about Yaz. I also heard or read somewhere that Stanky called the Angels manager Bill Rigney "a television manager."

Lip Man 1
12-02-2002, 01:27 AM
Go to my interview with J.C. Martin. He talks about the "Yaz" incident as well as why the A's were so fired up to beat the Sox in late September (which cost the Sox the pennent...)

Lip

SI1020
12-02-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Go to my interview with J.C. Martin. He talks about the "Yaz" incident as well as why the A's were so fired up to beat the Sox in late September (which cost the Sox the pennent...)

Lip Thanks. I've tried to read all your interviews since I joined this board. Somehow that one fell through the cracks until now. Very interesting stuff. Lopez and Stanky were quite a contrast.

Ol Aches & Pains
12-02-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by SI1020
I'm going by memory here, so I'm sure someone will call me on this if I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure he "evolved" somewhat as he got older. I don't recall him having problems with black players on the Sox

What choice did he have, if he wanted to stay in the game?

HITMEN OF 77
12-03-2002, 02:08 AM
Good interview with JC Martin Lip! Some good information in there! I still like Stanky, even though some may have disliked him. My favorite Sox manager of all time, along with Tanner, Lopez and ?