PDA

View Full Version : Yankmees want Colon for Nick Johnson

SoxxoS
11-26-2002, 01:46 PM
According to ESPN insider-

<<<Nov. 26 - The New York Post reported Tuesday that the Yankees are interested in acquiring the Expos right-hander in exchange for first-baseman Nick Johnson and a second player. Though some in the Yanks' organization still love Johnson, Jason Giambi is entrenched at first base for six more years. Expos GM Omar Minaya just returned from visiting Colon in the Dominican Republic, the Post said.>>>

If the Yankees want him, and Jerry is now on the "Save Canadian baseball" staff, chances of getting Colon are slim to none, and slim may of just left town. :angry:

hold2dibber
11-26-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

<<<Nov. 26 - The New York Post reported Tuesday that the Yankees are interested in acquiring the Expos right-hander in exchange for first-baseman Nick Johnson and a second player. Though some in the Yanks' organization still love Johnson, Jason Giambi is entrenched at first base for six more years. Expos GM Omar Minaya just returned from visiting Colon in the Dominican Republic, the Post said.>>>

If the Yankees want him, and Jerry is now on the "Save Canadian baseball" staff, chances of getting Colon are slim to none, and slim may of just left town. :angry:

Hmm; I wonder who the second player is. I'd be very surprised if the Expos couldn't get more than Nick Johnson for Colon, particularly in light of all they gave up to get him. In either event, if the Expos are forced to deal Colon, they will likely provoke an all out bidding war for his services and the price will be high.

Bobby Thigpen
11-26-2002, 02:25 PM
I for one would be happy if the Sox don't get Colon. I certainly feel that they need a # 2 pitcher, but I don't think that Colon is that guy. Something about him makes me hesitant to want the Sox to go after him. Maybe its that he reminds me too much of David Wells (without the previous sucess). And I would agree with just about everyone that says that the asking price would be too high. I don't think he is worth what the Expos want. Now, if they were to offer some of the younger talent (Armas Jr., Vasquez) that would be a different matter. I just don't feel comfortable giving away someone like Carlos who has a huge upside for someone I think is on the down hill slide of their career.

SoxxoS
11-26-2002, 04:04 PM
Colon isnt on the downside of his career, though. He is hitting his prime. He is only 30 years old.

David Wells was 36 when we got him, and he was injury prone. He came with a bad back. Bartolo doesn't have an injury history. Just a weight problem. Colon has pitched in 30+ games the last 5 years. He has won 81 games in that span, including 20 last year. He has postseason experience. He is the ace we need.

I would give up what they wanted for this guy (to an extent, of course). They want Corwin Malone, Rogowski, Hummel, Stewart? Take them. If we want to make the playoffs, he is the guy we want. We have young players at pretty much every position, so we really dont "need" the position player prospects, minus Borchard. ( I also like that Jeremy Reed kid, too) I am sure we can package something the Expos would want for him. Remember, you have to give to get something.

Plus he is only making 5 million next year (I believe). He would be a great fit.

Foulke You
11-26-2002, 04:30 PM
Colon isnt on the downside of his career, though. He is hitting his prime. He is only 30 years old.

David Wells was 36 when we got him, and he was injury prone. He came with a bad back. Bartolo doesn't have an injury history. Just a weight problem. Colon has pitched in 30+ games the last 5 years. He has won 81 games in that span, including 20 last year. He has postseason experience. He is the ace we need.

I would give up what they wanted for this guy (to an extent, of course). They want Corwin Malone, Rogowski, Hummel, Stewart? Take them. If we want to make the playoffs, he is the guy we want. We have young players at pretty much every position, so we really dont "need" the position player prospects, minus Borchard. ( I also like that Jeremy Reed kid, too) I am sure we can package something the Expos would want for him. Remember, you have to give to get something.

Plus he is only making 5 million next year (I believe). He would be a great fit.

Actually, wasn't David Wells was 38 going on 39 when we acquired him if I remember correctly?

hold2dibber
11-26-2002, 05:22 PM

I think he'll make $6.2 mm next year. And I think it would take more than the guys you mention to pry him away. They're going to want a "big" name in return (i.e., Garland, Rauch or Borchard) plus a few more prospects. If the Yankees are offering the much hyped Nick Johnson, I'm certain the Sox will have to a lot better than what you're suggesting.

SoxxoS
11-26-2002, 06:10 PM
Carlos Lee and Corwin Malone I think could get the deal done. If it would, I would have to make it. Colon is going to win you a lot more games than Lee would, AND it would take a pitcher that shouldn't be in the rotation...out. That's addition by subtraction. CLee has all this potential... blah blah, I am sick of it. He does have potential, but a) he hasn't reached it and he is 27 b) he is a really streaky hitter. A lot of hitters are streaky, but he takes it to another level c) improved on defense, but still a liability. He makes the occasional great play, but those plays are routine for good outfielders.

Corwin Malone is a lefty version of Dan Wright.

Daver
11-26-2002, 06:17 PM
Carlos Lee and Corwin Malone I think could get the deal done.

Thats about a third of the talent the Expos gave up for him,Minaya isn't a complete idiot,so I would guess it would take a little more than that,like throwing in Honel and Hummel

WinningUgly!
11-26-2002, 06:24 PM

Cross Colon's name off of your wish lists. Have the Yankees ever failed to acquire a player they wanted. I can't remember the last time they lost out on a guy. I remeber last offseason, the talk was that Giambi wouldn't go play for the Yanks...so much for that. Even David Wells was swiped away from the D-Backs last minute.

Paulwny
11-26-2002, 06:52 PM
If the yankmees acquire Colon and out bid everyone for Hidecki Matsui and Jose Contreras plus sign their free agents Stanton, Ventura, Mendosa and Clemens without dumpjng the salaries of White, Mondesi and Hitchcock (18mil total), this will be one hell of a payroll.
It could be 4 times the sox payroll.

Lip Man 1
11-26-2002, 09:31 PM
Bottom line:

It takes money (and brains) to make money

It takes money (and brains) to win

The Sox have neither.

Lip

duke of dorwood
11-26-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
If the yankmees acquire Colon and out bid everyone for Hidecki Matsui and Jose Contreras plus sign their free agents Stanton, Ventura, Mendosa and Clemens without dumpjng the salaries of White, Mondesi and Hitchcock (18mil total), this will be one hell of a payroll.
It could be 4 times the sox payroll.

And they may have 4 times the wins.4 times

NewyorkSoxFan
11-26-2002, 10:42 PM
Advice to everyone: THINK SMALLER. You wanna think like KW, and JR-THINK SMALLER. We are looking for a back of the rotation guy who we can bring in and tell everybody he is really a #2.

NYSF

ma-gaga
11-26-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
It takes money (and brains) to win

The Twins and A's would like to quibble with you. Money helps, but money is not the end all be all that you tend to push... Brains is more important than money.

WinningUgly!
11-26-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
The Twins and A's would like to quibble with you. Money helps, but money is not the end all be all that you tend to push... Brains is more important than money .

That is the ultimate line!

jeremyb1
11-27-2002, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by daver
Thats about a third of the talent the Expos gave up for him,Minaya isn't a complete idiot,so I would guess it would take a little more than that,like throwing in Honel and Hummel

i won't deny that there will be a lot of demand for colon if he's dealt but i think you need to base what he'll cost on much more than what he was dealt for last year. that was over 6 months ago. things change. the demand for certain types of players change. a different team other than the indians would be involved this time. there are free agents available this time. there is only a year left on colon's deal now compared to a year and a half last year. the expos wanted colon to make a run so his services were in greater demand. what the expos gave up is a decent guidline to use loosly but its not like he was dealt a week ago so there's no reason to find the equivalent of what the expos dealt and say that we have to trade that much to acquire him. unless they're in serious contention the expos are now in a situation where they'll have to deal colon by the deadline since everyone knows there's no chance they'll be able to afford him. at that point the leverage shifts somewhat.

NewyorkSoxFan
11-27-2002, 08:30 AM

Dave I would agree with you, but I think they are really going to try to shave payroll, and I think if and when he is traded we will all be surprised at what they will GET, not ask for but actually Get for Colon.

They can't afford for him to walk and get nothing, and they don't want to pay him until the deadline, so they will be up against it to make a deal. I hope the Sox negotiate this because Nick Johnson is not that good, believe me. I think we can match that and sweeten it if we are smart. But maybe I should take my own advice: THINK SMALLER, THINK SMALLER. :smile:

NYSF

Bobby Thigpen
11-27-2002, 09:21 AM
I'm just saying that something about this guy does not seem right to me. I don't think he would enjoy much success for the Sox. There is just something about him that makes me cautious to pay such a high price for him. (the Yankees can do it because they just go out and buy new talent, we on the other hand apparently have to grow it) How much longer does he have on his contract? I'd hate to trade away three or four good prospects for a guy that would leave in a year or two because Reinsdorf won't pay him any money.

Daver
11-27-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
The Twins and A's would like to quibble with you. Money helps, but money is not the end all be all that you tend to push... Brains is more important than money.

Well done Ma,that was definately post of the week material,you can check it out for yourself,well said. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13)

Lip Man 1
11-27-2002, 10:23 PM
Bartolo Colon is a free agent after the upcoming season.

Javier Vasquez is a free agent after the 2004 season

Lip

ma-gaga
11-29-2002, 02:47 AM
Well done Ma,that was definately post of the week material,you can check it out for yourself,well said. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13)

:)

Thanks. Just don't get Nellie Fox here looking at it too carefully. He'll correct whether or not "brains" are plural and whether "is" or "are" should have been used...

Paulwny
12-02-2002, 05:46 PM
Latest rumor:
Expos talking to the yankmees. They want Juan Rivera, Nick Johnson and Raul Mondesi ( the yankmees will have to pay a large portion of his contract).
As part of the deal, with Colon the yankmees must take Fernando Tatis.