PDA

View Full Version : You have to love Daley, LOL

irish rover
11-26-2002, 09:23 AM
He sure isn't shy about his dislike for da coob

"Everybody is tired of waiting,'' Mayor Daley told Sun-Times City Hall reporter Fran Spielman. "The fans are tired of waiting for a World Series. Everyone is. They've got Dusty Baker there. They'll be happy.''

http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol26.html

also the sox can't buy a story in this town (not that they really have done anything to deserve press) but this piece of garbage, which is almost as bad as "Susanna's Night out" in the ST, really shows a conflict of interest with a media giant owning a team. Thus when things are slow they drum up articles to keep the coob name in the press

Baker and his tooth picks

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-0211240397nov24,0,81637.story?coll=cs%2Dcubs%2Dhea dlines

RKMeibalane
11-26-2002, 02:21 PM
This is the main reason why I dislike the Chicago media so intensely. It is one thing to market the Chicago Cubs. After all, the Tribune owns the Cubs, so it is understandable that they would try to sell their product to customers. That's just business. However, the thing that bothers me is that the Tribune, as well as other papers, seem to be marketing the Cubs just for the hell of it.

Even when nothing is happening, the Tribune decides to write articles that have absolutely nothing to do with basball. These articles get published because they're about the Cubs.

baggio202
11-26-2002, 10:00 PM
the media isnt the only one to blame....reinsdork refuses to talk to the press and now KW is saying he wont talk anymore either..plus the sox have done zip so far...whats to report so far???....maybe if the sox were a little more media friendly they would get more stories printed...we know we are the 2nd team in this twn..you would think mgmt would do even more then is required to help change that

Lip Man 1
11-26-2002, 10:29 PM
Baggio:

To echo your point remember last season when Reinsdorf appeared on the Sox radio outlet during the studio pre game show and made the comment that "Chicago has always belonged to the Cubs..."

First off, Uncle Jerry apparently doesn't know his Chicago history especially during the period from the early 50's through the early and mid 60's, and second it "belongs" to the Cubs because Uncle Jerry refuses to even compete with them. Like Bob Vanderberg told me in his interview "that defeatist attitude" has to change.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
11-26-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
the media isnt the only one to blame....reinsdork refuses to talk to the press and now KW is saying he wont talk anymore either..plus the sox have done zip so far...whats to report so far???....maybe if the sox were a little more media friendly they would get more stories printed...we know we are the 2nd team in this twn..you would think mgmt would do even more then is required to help change that

Hey, we signed Kelly Wunsch. I'm sure I'll read all about it as the headline story in the Cubune tomorrow.

Woo hoo!

:gulp:

HITMEN OF 77
11-27-2002, 12:37 AM
Well, the sad thing is, the Cubs will always be more popular than the White Sox will ever be. The Sox could win 3 or 4 world series in a row and still the Cubs would be the team. The papers and such put articles out in which people are intersted in. More Cub fans will read it then Chi Sox fans. When I lived in Illinois it seemed the Sox flew 3rd amognst the baseball people of Illinois behind the Cubs and Cardinals. Half the people where I live in Washington State are Cubs fans! What's the deal? Oh well, there loss!

SI1020
11-27-2002, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Baggio:

To echo your point remember last season when Reinsdorf appeared on the Sox radio outlet during the studio pre game show and made the comment that "Chicago has always belonged to the Cubs..."

First off, Uncle Jerry apparently doesn't know his Chicago history especially during the period from the early 50's through the early and mid 60's, and second it "belongs" to the Cubs because Uncle Jerry refuses to even compete with them. Like Bob Vanderberg told me in his interview "that defeatist attitude" has to change.

Lip Of course you're right. It's probably hard for some of the younger posters to realize that since most or all of their lives the Cubs have been top banana. My grade school years were from 1956-1964 and I can tell you that in those days Chicago was a Sox town. I grew up on the NW side and lots of my school pals were Sox fans. It seemed about 50/50. The tilt toward the Cubs started IMO when Durocher came to town in 66. In 67 both teams were in the race, with the cubs fading in July and August and the Sox hanging on the bitter end. You could see the momentum shifting and by the ill fated 69 season the cubs had become dominant again. From that time on, I began to notice what I felt was media bias in favor of the cubs. Just before I left the area in the mid 80's I used to listen to a show on WGN that I remember as "The Sportswriters" or something to that effect. The pro cubs anti Sox drivel was sickening. Since the 94 strike the tide has turned so strongly that I'm afraid the Sox may go the way of the NFL Cardinals and the NBA Stags and Packers/Zephyrs.

maurice
11-27-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
Half the people where I live in Washington State are Cubs fans! What's the deal?

Could be because Ryne Sandberg is from Spokane.

Hangar18
11-27-2002, 01:03 PM
and in turn, Im SICK of their national counterparts,,,
the national sports media. They do for no real reason...
(its easier to write a story about a team thats stunk for
so long to win) than it is to just write a real story.
Ask ESPN. the cubs win 3 in row...they get hilites...
Sox lead the division all year....Espn decides to cover them
in August (2000 season). Listen to that jackass on
the Score (murphy) All last season....when the sox started
out Red hot in April/May....what did he do??? COmplain and
moan about what was wrong with the cubs....or what
baylor did...or that hundley didnt hit...or McGriff cant field...
He would choose those as topics...and they would screen out
the callers to just cub ones....then.....
you get the idea.....
THE MEDIA is responsible for the wrigley being "the most
beautiful". its the same place it was back in the 50's...
i dont rmemeber people glowing about "beautiful" Wrigley
Field. the team stinks, their fans are sheep, believing
anything the media tells them.

Iwritecode
11-27-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
the team stinks...

Actually, that bad smell from the team only rubs off from the stadium. That urine and beer smell is really hard to wash out...

:D:

irish rover
11-30-2002, 01:57 PM
I have to say that the Sox are thier own worst enemy. There seems to be this negativity surrounding them that isn't going away.

The first problem is thier marketing. They seem to think that they need to market this team to sox fans. Or they feel that if the team wins people will come out. Well they have us win or lose, and this team as fars as W's and L's has been pretty successfull in the past 10 years or so

With the amount of entertainment money getting smaller and smaller( 1/2 price tues and mons are great) I feel they need to start thinking about going toe to toe with Cubs when it comes to marketing. they seem really afraid to do that. They need to start embrassing the past and market the team, the area and the park. But they seem to feel that sox history didn't exhist before 1983. Get rid of the B&W commercials and don't worry about some fancy slogan every year.I'm not a marketing person, but they really need to start reaching out to Chicagoans

guillen4life13
11-30-2002, 05:44 PM
market THE HOT DOGS AND BRATS!!! In my whole life, I don't think I've had better hot dogs than the ones they serve in Comiskey Park. Maxwell Street is great, but you gotta hand it to the great ones.

And for god sakes, market the bleacher seats. Those bleachers are great, and honestly, I had nothing against the upper deck. Those seats weren't bad at all.

DVG
11-30-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by irish rover
I have to say that the Sox are thier own worst enemy. There seems to be this negativity surrounding them that isn't going away.

The first problem is thier marketing. They seem to think that they need to market this team to sox fans. Or they feel that if the team wins people will come out. Well they have us win or lose, and this team as fars as W's and L's has been pretty successfull in the past 10 years or so

With the amount of entertainment money getting smaller and smaller( 1/2 price tues and mons are great) I feel they need to start thinking about going toe to toe with Cubs when it comes to marketing. they seem really afraid to do that. They need to start embrassing the past and market the team, the area and the park. But they seem to feel that sox history didn't exhist before 1983. Get rid of the B&W commercials and don't worry about some fancy slogan every year.I'm not a marketing person, but they really need to start reaching out to Chicagoans

C'mon, Irish. Every time the Sox attempt to go toe-to-toe with
the Cubs, all it earns them is scorn and ridicule from the media.