PDA

View Full Version : EVERYBODY Wants To Play For Baker.

DrCrawdad
11-25-2002, 11:40 PM
Free agents come calling
Rodriguez visits, but deal unlikely.

By Paul Sullivan
Tribune staff reporter

November 25, 2002, 8:51 PM CST

While Dusty Baker claimed he wasn't a "Pied Piper" when he was introduced as Cubs manager last week, free-agent All-Stars suddenly are descending on general manager Jim Hendry's doorstep...

Sully now has switched over to covering the Cubs. Apparently Sully has lost thinking ability in the process.

Sully mentions two free agents who've talked to the Cubs - Rodriguez and Thome and that Omar Daal is interested in the Cubs.

Thome visiting the Cubs, from what I understand, had little or nothing to do with Dusty being Cub manager. Rodriguez' link to the Cubs is that he shares the same agent as Baker.

Nothing is mentioned about Daal aching to sign with the Cubs on account of Baker. But then Sully didn't offer any proof that Thome or Rodriguez were interested in the Cubs because of Baker either.

Bell was supposedly in line to talk with the Cubs because he loved playing for Baker so much but signed with the Phillies.

"You have to remember, everyone wants to play for Dusty." - Jim Hendry.

Vsahajpal
11-26-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Sully now has switched over to covering the Cubs. Apparently Sully has lost thinking ability in the process.

Sully mentions two free agents who've talked to the Cubs - Rodriguez and Thome and that Omar Daal is interested in the Cubs.

Thome visiting the Cubs, from what I understand, had little or nothing to do with Dusty being Cub manager. Rodriguez' link to the Cubs is that he shares the same agent as Baker.

Nothing is mentioned about Daal aching to sign with the Cubs on account of Baker. But then Sully didn't offer any proof that Thome or Rodriguez were interested in the Cubs because of Baker either.

Bell was supposedly in line to talk with the Cubs because he loved playing for Baker so much but signed with the Phillies.

Perhaps the players are telling Hendry they would like to play under Baker.

VeeckAsInWreck
11-26-2002, 02:15 AM
I bet the sCrUBS will try to sign an All-star 2B like Jeff Kent and then ask him to play 3B. Maybe they'll sign Greg Maddux and ask him to play catcher!

DrCrawdad
11-26-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Perhaps the players are telling Hendry they would like to play under Baker.

Sure that could very well be the case, or it might not.

What reason is there to lump Thome in with Baker-love FA's? Thome would have checked in with the Cubs regardless of Baker. And Sully sure didn't provide any evidence that Daal or I-Rod are interested in the Cubs on account of Baker. IMHO the article gives no support to the thought of 'FA's flocking to the Cubs because of Baker.'

DrCrawdad
01-13-2003, 01:50 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2002-04/2565203.jpg

Dave Veres, Rod Beck, Lenny Harris--man, there's just no end to all the big-name free agents coming here to play for Dusty Baker.