PDA

View Full Version : Labor Agreement Impact? (not..)

Lip Man 1
11-24-2002, 12:11 AM
"Unfortunately, increases in revenue sharing aren't spurring spending at the bottom levels. Cincinnati is staying flat in spending despite the move into the Great American Ballpark, and Kansas City is cutting back its payroll.

That decision makes it unlikely the Royals will be able to re-sign Paul Byrd, who has gotten attention from the White Sox and many other clubs, and may ultimately prompt All-Star first baseman Mike Sweeney to exercise an out clause in his contract after 2003. This is not progress."--Phil Rogers, Chicago Tribune

Hmmmmm, where have we heard that before?????

Lip

Daver
11-24-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"Unfortunately, increases in revenue sharing aren't spurring spending at the bottom levels. Cincinnati is staying flat in spending despite the move into the Great American Ballpark, and Kansas City is cutting back its payroll.

That decision makes it unlikely the Royals will be able to re-sign Paul Byrd, who has gotten attention from the White Sox and many other clubs, and may ultimately prompt All-Star first baseman Mike Sweeney to exercise an out clause in his contract after 2003. This is not progress."--Phil Rogers, Chicago Tribune

Hmmmmm, where have we heard that before?????

Lip There was no langauge in the new CBA that teams had to spend the money gained from revenue sharing on payroll,none at all.

oldcomiskey
11-24-2002, 01:35 PM
I was under the impression that you had to either improve your club or the ballpark

PaleHoseGeorge
11-24-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
I was under the impression that you had to either improve your club or the ballpark

That is what Phil Rogers keeps saying. Whatever wink and nudge powers the new CBA gives to Selig, it's seems pretty obvious he won't do a damned thing to punish the sad sack owners who pocket their welfare checks.

We should start a pool for precisely what date Selig starts whining about the ineffectiveness of the new CBA to increase competitive balance. I'm sure it is coming soon.