PDA

View Full Version : MLB.com: Sox fans recall '83 and '93 seasons

Soxheads
11-22-2002, 04:50 PM
Honoring the 10th and 20th anniversaries of the 1983 and 1993 White Sox clubs, MLB.com asked readers to share their memories of these two division-winning championship clubs.
Whether it was meeting Ozzie Guillen, witnessing Bo Jackson's towering three-run homer in the '93 clincher, celebrating Opening Day with commemorative placemats, sitting through a rain delay or trying to find a game broadcast in Italy, fans offered vivid anecdotes of the excitement these teams generated on Chicago's South Side and for Sox fans everywhere.

Sox fans recall '83 and '93 seasons (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20021122&content_id=180200&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

Lip Man 1
11-22-2002, 09:11 PM
What will be interesting is what (if anything) Sox MANAGEMENT will do to honor those clubs!

Don't hold your breath, they didn't do squat to honor the 1972 or 1977 teams this past season. (after all they can't possibly afford to fly in those guys to Chicago!! LOL)

Lip

jortafan
11-22-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
What will be interesting is what (if anything) Sox MANAGEMENT will do to honor those clubs!

Don't hold your breath, they didn't do squat to honor the 1972 or 1977 teams this past season. (after all they can't possibly afford to fly in those guys to Chicago!! LOL)

Lip

Hate to sound rude, but why should the Sox have honored either the '72 or '77 teams? Neither ballclub actually won anything. The '77 Sox actually finished 3rd. Somehow, the notion that a ballclub that couldn't finish a season in first place is worthy of a 25th or 30th anniversary recognition is kind of pathetic. It's the kind of thing we mock Cubs fans for doing.
But you do have a serious point in that current Sox management probably is half-buttocked enough NOT to do anything this year to mark the '83 or '93 ballclubs.

RKMeibalane
11-23-2002, 09:04 AM
The Sox organization is notorious for refusing to go out of its way to honor players, teams, etc. When Carlton Fisk was trying to decide which cap to wear into the HOF, the Red Sox held a ceremony for him. Reinsdorf, on the other hand, couldn't be bothered, and of course, Fisk wore the Boston cap.

I would be shocked if anything was done for those teams. I'm sure JR will try to blame us again, saying that we would not have attended those events anyway, or something along those lines. I love the way the Sox organization takes responsibility for things.

Medford Bobby
11-23-2002, 10:39 AM
:gulp: It's funny how either time mellows you out, or maybe I wasn't living in Chicago at the time, but I don't feel nostalgic for both these clubs. In '83 I was living in Wisconsin and do recall seeing some Sox games at County Stadium, maybe I did see some at Old Comiskey, but don't remember. So my question to all those who went there in '83, was it a fun club to watch??? I remember they blew away everyone in the division in those Winning ugly games, but was it as exciting as the 1990 Sox team, or 2000 Sox club???? 1993 I was in Arizona so saw all my Sox games on WGN....Maybe the big sting of both clubs was what happened next year and could not follow up the success. Yes, the strike ruined the '94 club, so maybe that could have been the best 2nd year team following a division winner. We will never know. I guess it will be good to see Julio Cruz wave an old Sox cap to the fans....

Daver
11-23-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby
:gulp: It's funny how either time mellows you out, or maybe I wasn't living in Chicago at the time, but I don't feel nostalgic for both these clubs. In '83 I was living in Wisconsin and do recall seeing some Sox games at County Stadium, maybe I did see some at Old Comiskey, but don't remember. So my question to all those who went there in '83, was it a fun club to watch??? I remember they blew away everyone in the division in those Winning ugly games, but was it as exciting as the 1990 Sox team, or 2000 Sox club???? 1993 I was in Arizona so saw all my Sox games on WGN....Maybe the big sting of both clubs was what happened next year and could not follow up the success. Yes, the strike ruined the '94 club, so maybe that could have been the best 2nd year team following a division winner. We will never know. I guess it will be good to see Julio Cruz wave an old Sox cap to the fans....

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

guillen4life13
11-23-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby

welcome to WSI.

i can't seem to recall much of the '83 team myself, same goes with the '93 teams. your guess is as good as mine. :?:

HITMEN OF 77
11-23-2002, 12:13 PM
Greg Luzinski's moon shots were unforgettable. One of the Few to hit the roof at old Comiskey. Zisk, Luzinski, Fisk, Kittle and Allen come to mind. It was good to see Luzinski the Chicago native back home.

oldcomiskey
11-23-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
Greg Luzinski's moon shots were unforgettable. One of the Few to hit the roof at old Comiskey. Zisk, Luzinski, Fisk, Kittle and Allen come to mind. It was good to see Luzinski the Chicago native back home.

Bull hit three roofshots that season--thats one thing I miss about the new ballpark===no roofshots---how many HRs would Frank hit there
in 1983 the amazing thing is that club was really built on pitching and defense==which is why they brought in Julio Cruz...

in 1993---it was a club with heart.. Bo and Ozzie Gullen coming off serious injuries..Ellis Burks and a young Frank Thomas... one dog patrolling center--maybe the best defensive cf who played for the Sox that I have seen

RKMeibalane
11-23-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
Bull hit three roofshots that season--thats one thing I miss about the new ballpark===no roofshots---how many HRs would Frank hit there
in 1983 the amazing thing is that club was really built on pitching and defense==which is why they brought in Julio Cruz...

in 1993---it was a club with heart.. Bo and Ozzie Gullen coming off serious injuries..Ellis Burks and a young Frank Thomas... one dog patrolling center--maybe the best defensive cf who played for the Sox that I have seen

The 1993 season was memorable. I wasn't really a Sox fan at that time, but I did watch a lot of their games. My favorite player on the team at that time was Robin Ventura. Of course, that was the same year he got punched out by Nolan Ryan.

Foulke You
11-26-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
The 1993 season was memorable. I wasn't really a Sox fan at that time, but I did watch a lot of their games. My favorite player on the team at that time was Robin Ventura. Of course, that was the same year he got punched out by Nolan Ryan.

I never tired of watching Black Jack McDowell pitch that year. I never missed a game where he started that year. His split finger fastball was the best in the game at the time. Big Hurt, Robin, and Bo Jackson provided some offensive heroics which made the Good Guys in Black a very memorable team for me. They never got their shot to win it all because we all know the Jays beat them in '93 and the strike ended their '94 championship run.